Treadspeeder Build 85421

Looking at the Treadspeeder Driver from the stomach up there didn't seem to be many differences from a FOTK and after looking into boots and finding some cheap locally I decided I may give this costume a go. I have a few other things on the bench so this is a long term project, I also have had tendon operations on my hands over the last few months so hands are on the mend but some days they are just to painful to do anything.

Found out very quickly that reference are scarce BUT with the behind the scenes video there is enough reference of all sides. There are differences between the movie and CGI version so I will base my build on the realistic.

Rc4UIwx.png

bnYiRk5.png

Boot references:

46wiGaq.png

First sourced some S/H boots locally quite cheap which is why I decided to go ahead with the build, new they are @ $300.

naiowYH.jpg

Next on to templates for the shins, they have a main base with layers added, if you enlarge the references you can see gaps in between for the elastic/Velcro strapping, gaps front and rear. Both sides are slightly different in shape and width, the outer front side being slightly angled, the inner top plate incorporating the angle section were the outside angled section is the base piece.

mux44AZ.png

Cardboard is the cheapest way to start and I'm trying to do this project without spending a fortune so using a lot of things I have around the house.

2BTisvx.jpg

hIbVLcT.jpg

PBCk5Zf.jpg

Once I was happy I moved on to some aluminium for the base, will still need some work on the lower front, will trim and fill/shape with some fibreglass.

G5iZMLJ.jpg

Next will be the layers sections on top.

Also found something I could use for the base of the knee armor

p8tVlZY.jpg

Did an overlay of the chest decals for sizing and cleaned up the image in stages to get a template for decals

lUectmN.png

OXyOCk4.png

Sewing the pants will be the worst for me, I can sew but I'm no tailor , at least I have some scrap material I can use for testing.

That's it for the moment, hopefully there will be more soon.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We're here for you, Glen!  Let us know how we can help.  

Chris from Blizzard Force offered up that the pant material may be the same as the FO Snowtrooper.  If that helps at all.

I'll be editing the CRL as your build progresses. 

Best of luck!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Looking at the Treadspeeder Driver from the stomach up there didn't seem to be many differences from a FOTK and after looking into boots and finding some cheap locally I decided I may give this costume a go. I have a few other things on the bench so this is a long term project, I also have had tendon operations on my hands over the last few months so hands are on the mend but some days they are just to painful to do anything.

Found out very quickly that reference are scarce BUT with the behind the scenes video there is enough reference of all sides. There are differences between the movie and CGI version so I will base my build on the realistic.
Rc4UIwx.png
bnYiRk5.png
Boot references:
46wiGaq.png

First sourced some S/H boots locally quite cheap which is why I decided to go ahead with the build, new they are @ $300.
naiowYH.jpg

Next on to templates for the shins, they have a main base with layers added, if you enlarge the references you can see gaps in between for the elastic/Velcro strapping, gaps front and rear. Both sides are slightly different in shape and width, the outer front side being slightly angled, the inner top plate incorporating the angle section were the outside angled section is the base piece.
mux44AZ.png

Cardboard is the cheapest way to start and I'm trying to do this project without spending a fortune so using a lot of things I have around the house.
2BTisvx.jpg
hIbVLcT.jpg
PBCk5Zf.jpg
Once I was happy I moved on to some aluminium for the base, will still need some work on the lower front, will trim and fill/shape with some fibreglass.
G5iZMLJ.jpg
Next will be the layers sections on top.

Also found something I could use for the base of the knee armor
p8tVlZY.jpg

Did an overlay of the chest decals for sizing and cleaned up the image in stages to get a template for decals
lUectmN.png
OXyOCk4.png

Sewing the pants will be the worst for me, I can sew but I'm no tailor , at least I have some scrap material I can use for testing.
That's it for the moment, hopefully there will be more soon.

I’m so tempted to make a pair of these to try the pattern.
If it’s FO Snowie fabric... I wish to try...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SoulArt said:

I’m so tempted to make a pair of these to try the pattern.
If it’s FO Snowie fabric... I wish to try...

Now that would save me some work. In a hold position at the moment, having some hand issues presently so no way I'll be sewing for some time

• Sad 1

• 3 months later...
On 5/28/2020 at 12:48 AM, gmrhodes13 said:

Now that would save me some work. In a hold position at the moment, having some hand issues presently so no way I'll be sewing for some time

Hey Glen!

Just checking in if there was any forward movement on this.  Not that I need yet another CRL to work on right now :D

3 minutes ago, BikerScout007 said:

Hey Glen!

Just checking in if there was any forward movement on this.  Not that I need yet another CRL to work on right now :D

Not as yet Mickey, hands haven't recovered as well as expected so it's on the back burner

• Like 1

Not as yet Mickey, hands haven't recovered as well as expected so it's on the back burner
Okay not a problem! Get well, man.

1 minute ago, BikerScout007 said:
3 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

Okay not a problem! Get well, man.

Cheers Mickey, hope it's not too long before I can get back to this

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Hello.

First of all, Happy New Year to all.

I am looking for info on treadspeeder pilots because my wife and I (501 french garrison all 2) fell in love with them and I found my happiness in your company :).

Looking at the photos of the shoot (movie) and those we see in the film (CGI) the costume changes, especially at the level of the legs.

On closer inspection (CGI images) the shins and boots look a lot like those of the jet trooper (and those of the sith trooper for that matter).

My question is:
Do you think that the CRL will derive more towards the Movie images rather than the CGI one, because the purchase of the motorcycle boots rather than the "standard" boots is not the same budget, the shins will be a little easier to find and the holster and the SE44C add a plus to the costume I find.

You've done an incredible job of research and I watch it all with great interest.

Take good care of yourself

thank you so much

2 hours ago, I3OI3A F377 said:

Hello.

First of all, Happy New Year to all.

I am looking for info on treadspeeder pilots because my wife and I (501 french garrison all 2) fell in love with them and I found my happiness in your company :).

Looking at the photos of the shoot (movie) and those we see in the film (CGI) the costume changes, especially at the level of the legs.

On closer inspection (CGI images) the shins and boots look a lot like those of the jet trooper (and those of the sith trooper for that matter).

My question is:
Do you think that the CRL will derive more towards the Movie images rather than the CGI one, because the purchase of the motorcycle boots rather than the "standard" boots is not the same budget, the shins will be a little easier to find and the holster and the SE44C add a plus to the costume I find.

You've done an incredible job of research and I watch it all with great interest.

Take good care of yourself

thank you so much

Happy New Year

At this point, I think we will probably allow either option on the CRL.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/31/2020 at 2:45 PM, gmrhodes13 said:

Cheers Mickey, hope it's not too long before I can get back to this

How we doing on this?