RS bucket owners

Yes.  For some reason they use a matte white for their bucket instead of gloss.  

7 hours ago, spyder918 said:

But is the matte what's making it more beige?

Take it outside and look at it. The lights can make it look beige,yellow,all kinds of stuff. I'll post up a pic of mine under different light. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stroker said:

Take it outside and look at it. The lights can make it look beige,yellow,all kinds of stuff. I'll post up a pic of mine under different light. 

Tim is 100% right. Incandescent vs fluorescent vs LED lighting will all cast shades of white differently.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, spike said:

bad tint in the plastic,old plastic stock, UV exposure OR bad lighting, fluoros can be yellow or blue tint......etc :)

RS use fresh plastic all the time , it's never more than a month old . 

The helmets aren't just plastic, they are painted just like the movie ones . They use colour matched paint to their original .

with RS you are buying a replica of what they used in the movie ...not a cosplay costume . 

The armour plastic is custom made for RS , not commercial stock , and the helmets are painted . That's why they are a different colour/ surface .... just like in the movie . 

Screen accuracy sometimes shocks people , but at least you know its right !! 

Enjoy your helmet !!! 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My one is like this too when I purchased a RS Red label lid from them. When it arrived I instantly noticed the difference in colour... I contacted RS and they said that the 501st insisted they change the colour of the helmets to match the armour in colour. Im confused as to why 501st think this should be so when clearly the armour is white and in the movie also white. Dont get me wrong, The helmet is awesome and true to the original in size and spec.. although i may give it a spray over in gloss appliance white. 🤔

49054660347_69ea9316c0_m.jpg

I would assume the originals are off-white like the TKs. Stage/set lighting makes them appear true white onscreen.

An original from the London Prop Store sold recently for a lot of dosh. It was never actually used.. but it was made by the production crew for ROTJ. (The greeblie is different though to screen used ones) This has probably been photographed with some lighting but in my humble opinion I think it was originally whiter than we think. The picture is of the actual prop so reckon the colour  is as it should be. Anyway..enjoy this little find! BSN may nab these for ref photos unless they already have them! 

Screenshot_20191115-142400_ChromeScreenshot_20191115-141643_ChromeScreenshot_20191115-141856_ChromeScreenshot_20191115-141958_ChromeScreenshot_20191115-142054_ChromeScreenshot_20191115-142010_Chrome

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 1/1/2020 at 9:20 AM, Scout10110 said:

This has probably been photographed with some lighting but in my humble opinion I think it was originally whiter than we think. The picture is of the actual prop so reckon the colour  is as it should be.

Sure, the screen used versions may have yellowed over time, but if so, why has the depicted helmet not yellowed in equal fashion?
But keep in mind what info you have here. An auction site that gets paid to sell the helmet has posted pictures of it, note that even though it's the same manufacturing company, the depicted helmet is not the same as what they used in the movies.

but yes screen accurate colours are a problem in SW due to lighting. Did you know screenused R2D2's were off white? try submitting an off-white R2 to the droidbuilders :D

• Like 2

I have pics on my home computer from when I took pics of the screen used scout helmet at comic con with my canon and not my phone. When I get home I’ll see if I can upload them. 

in the meantime, I did take 1 photo on my phone

E578E5CB-B11A-4405-85B6-668A8E4036F9_zps

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Whiskey said:

I have pics on my home computer from when I took pics of the screen used scout helmet at comic con with my canon and not my phone. When I get home I’ll see if I can upload them. 

in the meantime, I did take 1 photo on my phone

E578E5CB-B11A-4405-85B6-668A8E4036F9_zps

That definitely looks white to me..look forward to seing more. 😎

• Like 1

Sorry guys. 

had to run errands and take care of my sons Boy Scout den meeting. 

here’s one more pic and I’ll get the pics in tomorrow....hopefully 

5E765FF0-E257-4598-9A11-5B8E0F23B6BF_zps
A6FD028C-13ED-4119-83B7-BC816FFD504D_zps

I think the main takeaway here is that paint can/will fade or discolor over time. Yes, even when not in direct sunlight or UV. 

Not saying the Star Wars costume book is the end all be all resource to costumers (many variables such as repair or restoration), they mention the paint of the helmet as Ferrari white. if you want to go by that, then that’s up to each individual’s opinion. 

here is the info for the PPG code 90442. many paint stores can match this paint with ease.  They can also do this in an aerosol can  

0A6BBC17-9E77-4D53-81AD-980914EB5E3E_zps

This is the color I painted my RS Scout helmet kit. With certain lighting it can work well with the RS abs armor
630AA1EF-B93E-4EEA-838E-7440F154FD4F_zps

Time to go to sleep. 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Thevoriginal scout helmets were indeed painted a Ferrari white , but when they arrived at the costume department they were flatted down to make the weathering adhere . They were by the time they appeared on the film set , very matt indeed .
White satin or matt paint ( or good old white primer) works just fine .
Shiny buckets just look wrong , especially if the colour shade matches the armour exactly .

Here's three RS scouts with matt helmets and unpainted abs armour ( just a little matt black aerosol weathering on the armour ...like the costume dept used on the movie ) 13f5a46b22713e1274d42af104cac8ac.jpg
39655c355e9e367299df6bc8ce330904.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/18/2020 at 9:24 PM, CatfoodRob said:

Thevoriginal scout helmets were indeed painted a Ferrari white , but when they arrived at the costume department they were flatted down to make the weathering adhere . They were by the time they appeared on the film set , very matt indeed .
White satin or matt paint ( or good old white primer) works just fine .
Shiny buckets just look wrong , especially if the colour shade matches the armour exactly .

Here's three RS scouts with matt helmets and unpainted abs armour ( just a little matt black aerosol weathering on the armour ...like the costume dept used on the movie ) 13f5a46b22713e1274d42af104cac8ac.jpg
39655c355e9e367299df6bc8ce330904.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not quite. It's true that for the deathstar armors they used Ferrari white with a polishing compound to produce a mirror finish. However for the weathering of the Endor scenes they did not dull down the color (as there was no need to) but simply sprayed on the black weathering with a rattle can. 

A good reference for that are the pictures on the Blu Ray Special of the Star Wars Box which were taken from the LFL costume that also appeared in the Star Wars Costume book.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Every screenshot I’ve seen they definitely have some reflectivity. I just got my RS bucket and it appears almost completely flat which I don’t think is accurate.

• Like 1