Starscream's Patrol Trooper Build

Starscream

Hey everyone,

Here is my WIP for my Patrol Trooper. I'm just showing a few pictures I took during my build. If you want specific pictures of something, I'd be more than happy to take them and upload them.

I ordered the ArmoryShop kit and had them finish the armour for me, but got the helmet as the raw kit. I gotta say, I'm really happy with 3D printed armour.

I wasn't as lucky as others and my box arrived in less than ideal condition.

9xwgNAd.jpg

Luckily only the back plate was damaged and I was able to repair it fairly easily (I plan to weather it to look like damage).

Syj7lNx.jpg

qKWGBmu.jpg

VOmxHZ0.jpg

• Like 3

Wow!  that box was in rough shape.  Your collar was cracked too?

Thanks for starting a thread and I look forward to your progress.

• Like 1

BUCKET

Next was the bucket. Had a mishap with overspray on the white (a misting of black paint). Once I get everything weathered it won't be an issue. Got the ol' Dremel out and started trimming away.

LXZaiwj.jpg

EmQ1ySH.jpg

Teeth and visor cutout.

4P6UJlF.jpg

Next was a coat of primer and some light sanding.

IfrVVzd.jpg

First coat of white.

BXnqIkA.jpg

Taping off everything for the black.

UkGvi3e.jpg

Unfortunately the tape didn't hold up in some spots, so I had to touch those areas up (weathering will also hide all this).

IIyjycR.jpg

Greeblies all painted

oeAPKah.jpg

Just visor and mesh to install (you can see the black overspray on the mouth).

SI4bT1d.jpg

• Like 2

CHEST/BACK

My neck isn't that long, so I had an issue with the helmet and the collar hitting and I couldn't move my head at all. So I took out the Dremel and trimmed out some of the inside of the chest and back plate. I took out over half an inch and I can now move my head a little bit, but I'm probably going to do a bit more trimming. So far it has held up really well, but I plan to reinforce it once I'm done.

2ETGgTh.jpg

yMkKoJJ.jpg

T6hK0Db.jpg

My chest plate also didn't sit against the ab plate very well at all and my chest was puffed out really far. This also created issues with the back and chest piece lining up, as the chest was angled out and the back wasn't sitting in the groove properly.

I used my heat gun and ever so carefully warmed up the chest and then pressed it against the ab plate so it would fit snuggly. Ended up working really well.

Before

Bui6vwV.jpg

After

kCh6zCJ.jpg

I rushed the belt and boots because I was trying to get done for our local con this weekend. So no photos of that yet. 

The test troop this weekend was fairly successful, but I still need to work on some strapping issues, but it's mostly done. Photos are submitted for approval.

OVAhC3a.jpg

AILphht.jpg

• Like 4

Wow!  that box was in rough shape.  Your collar was cracked too?
Thanks for starting a thread and I look forward to your progress.
Yeah the left collar was busted right off and a big crack in the back plate on the right side. The box was crushed and was really damp. Must have sat in the rain or something.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

• Sad 1

Glad you have another IPT in for approval.  Your armor looks great!

I'm having the same issues with the helmet and neck rubbing.  I love your idea to trim from the inside.  I was considering getting the paint and doing it to the top side, but your's looks better.

• Like 1

Thanks, it was really fun and easy build. Denis made things really easy. Just minimal modification needed. Hoping the approval goes well. I'll be weathering everything soon for level 2 approvals. Although part of me loves the clean look.

Also, a friend just photoshopped this for me. The background is real, he just added the blaster bolt.

Z1my4li.jpg

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Starscream said:

Thanks, it was really fun and easy build. Denis made things really easy. Just minimal modification needed. Hoping the approval goes well. I'll be weathering everything soon for level 2 approvals. Although part of me loves the clean look.

Also, a friend just photoshopped this for me. The background is real, he just added the blaster bolt.

Z1my4li.jpg

That looks great!  Let us know when you are approved and I'll upgrade your access!

6 hours ago, TanRu said:

@Starscream, how'd you get that nice finish on your blaster? Did you use XTC3D, or something else? Thanks!

I have never used a 3D print coating before, I find that a good primer usually works well enough. I should try XTC3D sometime though, it might save me a lot of time on larger prints. 

I used the classic method of primer, sand, repeat. I did that probably 4 times.

• Like 2

On 9/17/2019 at 9:08 AM, BikerScout007 said:

That looks great!  Let us know when you are approved and I'll upgrade your access!

Looks like my 501st profile page was finally updated with my Patrol Trooper!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Starscream said:

Looks like my 501st profile page was finally updated with my Patrol Trooper!

Awesome!  Welcome to the Pathfinders, Trooper!

• Like 1