1 hour ago, Chopper said:

Yeah that looks fine. You're good.

Are there better options or is this a good way to go?

Jenny, you did a phenomenal job on the boot cut outs. They look super clean. Well done!

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, AradunFF said:

Jenny, you did a phenomenal job on the boot cut outs. They look super clean. Well done!

Thank you so much! It was an enormous pain, so I'm glad to have it out of the way. Not too far from being done with my soft parts now.

Also, thank you for documenting your RS helmet modifications. I will be doing the same and will be using your WIP. Even if not for getting close to Lancer specs, I need air flow in there! :) I will have to add a little padding inside to align it better with my eyes, but I was surprised it wasn't overly large for my head, like the rest of their armor was on me.

You're welcome Jenny.  Glad it helps.  Keep up the great work.  Your build thread is already of tremendous help to other scouts as you well know! 

• Thanks 1

Thinking ahead a little bit. Sometimes I just really like to have a bag with me. This bag seems pretty simple to make, but I had a couple of questions about the CRL.

1) The straps. The CRL calls them “fabric.” What does this mean? Can they be nylon webbing? Or are they supposed to be sewn cotton or something fabric tubes?

2) Strap length. It looks like they are pretty long, but I’m not sure how the bag itself was worn. How long is the bag to be to the wearer?

cFu5xMn.png

Oh nice. I have one of those bags too. There's very little information to go off of, aside from the brief point that we see it on screen, so it's hard to be super specific in the CRL.

The straps can be nylon/polypro/cotton webbing. I used 1" cotton webbing for mine, but any of the options I mentioned will work.

You can get a sense of the strap length vs a person from the screen photos here:

x7htoau.png

u2V9WfK.png

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Oh nice. I have one of those bags too. There's very little information to go off of, aside from the brief point that we see it on screen, so it's hard to be super specific in the CRL.

The straps can be nylon/polypro/cotton webbing. I used 1" cotton webbing for mine, but any of the options I mentioned will work.

You can get a sense of the strap length vs a person from the screen photos here:

x7htoau.png

u2V9WfK.png

Perfect. I was guessing 1" for the straps, so that's good to know what you did. These pictures are greatly helpful. Thank you so much!

His pouches also look a little more structured than some. I guess there's a bit of a spectrum for them, as seems to be the case for some things.

Thanks!

• Like 2

Working on my boots and got the toes covered. Interesting fact—the soles that didn’t like the Xacto knife also isn’t keen on thumb tacks hahaha. 
My question now is, does the 1/2” strip start at the red or blue arrow? Or does it matter?

EpAQIJh.jpg

pK5QagK.jpg

The 1/2” strip runs around the entire toe from dog bone to dog bone on either side.

9199fb05675112ef94e64d42c58a6a93.jpg

Looking at the image above it runs from heel to heel.

Jenny, you should put the bottom edge of the strip at the blue arrow you indicated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok, making some progress, I think. Other parts have been a pain, but these boots have been scary 😂 I get nervous when there’s little margin for error. Thankful for the tutorial from
@cheesewhoopy

pZPv616.jpg

Except I used Barge contact cement. Also, using a rotary cutter and a long quilting ruler, makes cutting those 1/2” strips a little easier.

• Like 4

What you've got looks great so far. The toe and upper portion is generally the hardest part, so you should have a relatively easier time from here on out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Those look so clean! I hope mine come out that smooth on the toe. Great job!!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, KOtrooper said:

Those look so clean! I hope mine come out that smooth on the toe. Great job!!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Thanks! It took a couple of tries on the forming step before I figured out a rhythm. The thing that made the biggest difference for me was using the heat gun every time (it didn’t take much) as I moved from side to side, working with the vinyl and tacking it down. The gluing helped smooth it down even more.

• Like 2

I finished up my pouches, hopefully. I didn’t use as stiff interfacing as the first one I asked about. I just made a little insert box out of EVA foam. It kept a softer look but with still some form (and function!). 
They are secured to the cummerbund via @Chopper’s post about keeping things together on the costume.

bZFHMk3.jpg

nPIFZq8.jpg

• Like 2

Those are looking really great Jenny! Nice work!

I used foam for awhile in my pouches but I ended up using cardboard to make an insert so I could keep things in there. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hokie1 said:

Awesome. What size Eva foam did you use?

I’m not sure I’m understanding what you mean by Eva foam but I just cut out a block of low density foam the size of my pouches and inserted them inside to keep the pouch shape. When I started carrying my MP3 player so I could have chatter playing I needed more room so I added a cardboard form. This kept the shape of the pouch and gave me room to store things. Which I think backfired as all the TKs in my garrison ask me to hold their stuff now😅

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, hokie1 said:

Awesome. What size Eva foam did you use?

This was a quick trial to see if I liked it, so it’s not fancy. The edges aren’t even 100% even. But this is with 1/4” foam. It works pretty well. Because of my size, though, my arms are gonna be bumping up against the sides a lot, so I haven’t fully decided what I’m going to do with them, but this option is a high contender.

FgBTItn.jpg

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Retrofire said:

Those are looking really great Jenny! Nice work!

I used foam for awhile in my pouches but I ended up using cardboard to make an insert so I could keep things in there. 

Thanks! The way I glued the foam made it a little box so I could put stuff in. I love having pouches or bags! Sometimes ya just need places to put stuff.

I have a question about the boot shaft placement. If I put the shaft starting about an inch in front of the heel, as the tutorial suggests, it seems to be about in the right place, but the bottom grommets and laces stick up. I don’t know if that will make the dog bone look weird. Or maybe that’s why the dog bone is there? To cover that up?

wwRDfwy.jpg

If I put the vinyl so that it covers up those grommets, it’s moved a good bit forward, as you can tell where it’s at compared to the front sole. So, just curious which is the better placement.

dPAx0kw.jpg

The dog bone should cover it up in both instances. You can always check out how the dog bone looks with a little tape beforehand.

The original sierras didn't have that same sort of "bump" where the laces string up in the boot, so what we have to do in order to get a similar look differs slightly when we're adapting a work boot for our purposes.

The only real question is whether or not the different positioning changes how the shaft looks? Do you end up with a small upper shaft but a big lower portion? I'd try mocking it up a bit to see what looks best for you.

• Thanks 1