After much communication that wasn’t so fruitful, I finally found some hope with a fellow Pathfinder and friends and help from Mr. Poopie, I think I’m finally on a track to get some working armor. Hopefully. That had motivated me to start back on my soft parts. 
I’m working on the top of my undersuit and realized I’m not quite sure how tall to make the mandarin collar. This is a pic of this trial, and I think it may be too short. The CRL states it should cover the neck area, but I don’t know how much of the neck we are talking about covering up. Any help would be much appreciated.

thanks!!

DD186A7B-9E42-4E3C-A4F1-3A92E0B7993E.jpeg

Jenny, most scouts use a Red Kap or similar overall as the base for the undersuit. That collar is 3”.

11 hours ago, jennyruth said:

After much communication that wasn’t so fruitful, I finally found some hope with a fellow Pathfinder and friends and help from Mr. Poopie, I think I’m finally on a track to get some working armor. Hopefully. That had motivated me to start back on my soft parts. 
I’m working on the top of my undersuit and realized I’m not quite sure how tall to make the mandarin collar. This is a pic of this trial, and I think it may be too short. The CRL states it should cover the neck area, but I don’t know how much of the neck we are talking about covering up. Any help would be much appreciated.

thanks!!

DD186A7B-9E42-4E3C-A4F1-3A92E0B7993E.jpeg

Your collar height looks ok. The rest of your neck would be covered by your balaclava. You should be good.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Your collar height looks ok. The rest of your neck would be covered by your balaclava. You should be good.

Thank you!

14 minutes ago, Chopper said:

The most important thing is that you cannot see any skin when wearing the flight suit, balaclava and helmet.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Retrofire said:

The most important thing is that you cannot see any skin when wearing the flight suit, balaclava and helmet.

Great information. Thanks!

I have to add some closure to the collar but I finished up the top part of the undersuit last night. It will be tucked into my trousers (which quarantine shrunk a little bit, hmmm). I couldn’t get a picture of it all on but will try to soon.

0hNyZbr.jpg

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Chopper said:

That looks quite excellent. Great work!

Thank you!

• 4 weeks later...

I’m trying to make my vest but am running into comfort versus fashion issues. Hahahaha

i first got some fabric that is a great weight and looks nice and is overall lovely. But, when trying it in real life, it feels heavy (and hot—I live in central Alabama, and we only have about two cold weeks a year) and with not as great of movement.

So I’ve been on a fabric hunt. I know a lot of people use T-shirts, so I tried one with a knit material like a nicer T-shirt. It is significantly more comfortable and lighter. But I’m not sure about the look of it. Albeit it’s mostly covered up, but I want to do it well.

So, any suggestions or thoughts? Here’s a pic with the heavier cotton knit. Also, how’s the neck opening? I’m not sure what constitutes “much wider.”

XFsisg4.jpg

Hi Jenny are you still using RS Props armor? Generally you don't want the flak vest neck opening to extend beyond the outer edges of the shoulder bridges.

The neck space on different scout armor types can vary depending on the vendor, but I think the neck opening on your flak vest should be a-ok with the RS kit.

1 hour ago, Chopper said:

Hi Jenny are you still using RS Props armor? Generally you don't want the flak vest neck opening to extend beyond the outer edges of the shoulder bridges.

The neck space on different scout armor types can vary depending on the vendor, but I think the neck opening on your flak vest should be a-ok with the RS kit.

I wish I could use RS armor. It’s a beautiful kit. Unfortunately it was extremely too big on me. So, I’m having to get creative in armor. This one is a trial so I don’t mind making some tweaks to my pattern. I may pull that neck in a bit. Thanks!

Any suggestions on fabric?

I've seen a few different fabrics used for flak vests -- from cotton twill to the t-shirt fabric you're using now. I know that the t-shirt fabric can start to get a bit worn down after repeated use, so there's the durability factor to consider.

As far as appearances go, I think what you've got looks fine to me. I certainly wouldn't have any issues with the fabric appearance for a level 2 review.

• Like 2

Oh also, have you decided on what other armor to use instead of the RS kit? Mon Cal/Far Away Creations armor is decently suited for folks with medium to small body types. You can always email Kathy and Cal to check and see if their kit would fit you.

1 hour ago, Chopper said:

Oh also, have you decided on what other armor to use instead of the RS kit? Mon Cal/Far Away Creations armor is decently suited for folks with medium to small body types. You can always email Kathy and Cal to check and see if their kit would fit you.

Thanks for the fabric thoughts!

I did keep the RS helmet, thermal detonator, and blaster :) Right now, I have a gracious, fellow scout buddy who is using @MrPoopie’s print files for the rest of the armor so it can be sized to me. I will likely order one of Studio Creations smaller size belts though, for the flexibility. I’m like a patchwork scout right now. I’m short, too, so printing it seems a good way to get things to fit more proportionately. Most armor I have looked at, even the arm pieces take up almost the entire bicep or forearm. And the knees could fit on my upper leg.  Having the ability to size all the pieces will help me not look like a child who dressed up in her parent’s armor. We will strengthen it up with fiberglass on the back of the chest and back. It’s really been quite the frustrating task to find something that will work, and these print files have been some needed hope. Some have suggested child armor, but I’m not quite that small. I’ll gladly check out the armor you mentioned though.

Can the fabric for the vest be the same as the undersuit?

• Like 2

Jenny you have some mad talent when it comes to tailoring. That flak vest looks very nice. Well done.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, jennyruth said:

Can the fabric for the vest be the same as the undersuit?

Level 1 of the CRL calls for the vest to be made from "black, matte finish, heavy weight cotton fabric".

As per the CRL, the vest should be made from a heavier material. How lightweight is the material you're using for your undersuit?

9 hours ago, Chopper said:

Level 1 of the CRL calls for the vest to be made from "black, matte finish, heavy weight cotton fabric".

As per the CRL, the vest should be made from a heavier material. How lightweight is the material you're using for your undersuit?

It’s a twill, with a little stretch. Maybe around a mid-heavy weight. Heavier than a T-shirt, but not like a canvas.

Yeah and the vest shouldn't be heavy duck canvas (yikes!). I think that the material you describe should be just fine for the flak vest.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Yeah and the vest shouldn't be heavy duck canvas (yikes!). I think that the material you describe should be just fine for the flak vest.

Yeah, nobody wants to wear a canvas vest :) OK, I may play around with my extra fabric then. Thank you for all of your help!

• 2 weeks later...

I tried out making a vest with the same fabric as my undersuit material. Not quite as comfy as the jersey but I think I’m pretty happy with it. Very easy to move in it but still maintaining stability. I recognize that I may have to remake it when I actually get armor and can see placement better but this will work for sizing and building in the meantime.  

This is as good of a pic as I can get of it on me for the time being.

PSyK45Y.jpg

zzyHvbk.jpg

• Like 3

12 hours ago, AradunFF said:

Fantastic work Jenny. Like I said earlier, mad skills.

Thank you for those kind words :) I tell people that I'm more stubborn than skilled, haha, but nothing is ever easy, right? I very much appreciate your encouragement.