Chopper's Kashyyyk Trooper Build (aka Chopper goes back to school)

Chopper

Today I received my big brown box containing a new Kashyyyk Scout kit. I got mine from TK-1389 kits, who, from all appearances seems to have the BikerChick/PGHFett molds?

So far I've got my armor, desert dpm fatigues, and boots. Gloves are coming from Wampa and I plan to retrofit the greeblie on them.

That's pretty much where I am at the moment. I'll likely start on the soft good modifications on the fatigues for now and can move into building and (most importantly) painting once it starts to get warmer out.

Oh8JWx8h.jpg

wZ2K15ph.jpg

• Like 5

I expect this to be built to 41st Elite standards!  ;)

• Like 3

Just now, BikerScout007 said:

I expect this to be built to 41st Elite standards!  ;)

Pressure's on now!

• Haha 2

Nice to see you have a plan of attack, I just received my wampa wear gloves going to make the modifications soon. 

• 1 month later...

Some progress --

Bund and pouches have arrived, courtesy of Chris Hale.

I've taken all of the pockets and buttons off my DPM blouse and trousers. I plan to add a zipper closure for the blouse soon.

Trouser front pockets are formed and sewn. Sewing them onto the trousers will be challenging, but I think I can do it.

Question: I modded the collar, but I just realized that my closure tab is from right to left. There's no mention of the collar closure in the text, but the CRL images has it from left to right. Should I flip it?

6MjZOvjh.jpg

XXV07NOh.jpg

zE4RSs3h.jpg

• Like 2

Some more minor progress with my soft goods:

Collar closure direction swapped, velcro add.

Velcro closure added on collar closure and upper chest.

Zipper installed on shirt.

FPMXdcIh.jpg

n8NMXoTh.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Progress continues:

Working on fit and positioning of the bund. I think my bund is too long. My guess is that I need to take maybe an inch or an inch and a half off the bottom. Does that assessment sound correct, Kashyyyk armorers?

I also finished up my trouser pockets. They're just pinned in position right now. I'll sew them in later.

And finally, I'm used to the snug fit of the scout coveralls. I keep feeling like I need to take in the legs and arms of my DPM fatigues. I'll need to open up the legs anyhow to sew the riding patch. Should the trousers fit more relaxed than the scout coveralls, or about the same?

UcBzOuph.jpg

jld2much.jpg

• Like 1

The trousers and pouches seem good to me.

The 'bund could be a little shorter but don´t take too much off, you still have th get room to put the belt in there...

• Like 1

Again, sorry for taking so long.

RL(not the Rebel Legion) :D has been getting in the way of fun...

Back to the pants, the way I see the characters in the movie it doesn´t look (to me) like they are baggy(ish) like the x-wing pilots or skinny(again ish) like a Solo or Boba... They look like a regular fit to me..

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Dyed my shirt, trousers, and pockets last night. Followed the guidance folks have been using on here -- dark brown RIT dye with a splash of black.

There are some darker splotch areas on the shirt. Fortunately, they'll all be underneath the bund, so it doesn't really matter. Looks like none of the thread dyed. Guess it must primarily be nylon thread, as opposed to cotton.

Thoughts? Should I give it another dip in dark brown?

6drjqDQ.jpg

Compared to what's seen on screen:

4IyBxFS.jpg

The overall color looks good to me, I would just change the fabric on the thigh pouch main body it´s noticeable that it´s different from the flap and the trousers beneath it. 

The threads themselves may be looking too white because of the camera, in real life if you think they are too light colored and you want to subdue them use a brown/black sharpie.

Thanks for taking a look, Luis. Yeah, that item sorta bit me in the butt a bit. Wasn't expecting that to happen.

I had used excess jacket pocket fabric to make the thigh pouches. You couldn't see the ripstop pattern on the trousers at all until I dyed them. Actually I didn't even know it was there until after they dried.

I'd be concerned that I wouldn't get the dye to match on a different set of pockets, and then that's a whole different can of worms. Which is worse right? Different dye shade, or differing fabric?

And in other news, look what arrived from Wampa Wear!!!! The new version of their Kashyyyk gloves!

1b98em1.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I think the undersuit is finally finished. Now, I have no more excuses but to start working on the hard armor parts.

tKB15hSh.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...