Kashyyyk Trooper 2018 CRL Revision

BikerScout007

Hey Kashyyyks!

The Armor Team is proud to present the long-awaited, top-to-bottom revision to the Kashyyyk CRL.  And this time, we have added a Level 2 so that our Kashyyyks can reach the same level of achievement as our Lancers and Vanguards!   

Some of the things that were required in Level 1 have been moved to Level 2 due to changes in how the Legion wants us to draft CRLs.  Example, specific measurements, paints and fabrics must be Level 2 details under their rules.  So you may find that your Kashyyyk already meets the Level 2 standards.

In keeping with the spirit of the films, the Kashyyyk Level 2 will be called "41st Elite".  A section on the Pathfinder Hall of Fame will be created for members that reach this achievement.  And yes -- patches and pins will follow once we have the numbers to justify the expense!

So please take a look at the draft, which is currently under review by the LMOs.  And if you have suggestions, we are all ears!

The following costume components are present and appear as described below.

Helmet
  • Camo pattern to simulate on-screen troopers.
    • Tan base coat
    • Camo patterns are colored dark green and flat brown
  • May be lightly weathered.
  • Full set of black greeblies: 2 breathers, five bar snout piece and visor bolts.
  • Visor has a reflective green lens.
  • A rectangular slot is centered in the middle of the visor.
  • Inside of visor is painted the same base color as the armor.
  • Helmet decal matches the screen-used. 
OPTIONAL Level two certification (if applicable):
  • Recommended camo colors:
    • Krylon Khaki Tan base coat
    • Panzer Oliver Green
    • Flat Earth Brown
  • Black/grey/white misting
  • Optional: paint scrapes may be represented with silver or chrome paint, not to exceed what is seen on screen
  • Visor rectangular slot measures 2.25 inches long and 0.5 inches wide

Balaclava
  • A balaclava is a black head sock/hood that is worn under the helmet and is used primarily to hide any view of the wearer's skin and/or facial hair. 

Under Suit
  • Jacket and pants or jumpsuit.
  • Dark Camouflage pattern should resemble look of screen troopers.
    • No multi-cam or digital camo
  • No visible pockets when the armor is worn.
  • Large leg pouches have a biased cut flap on the outside, placed in the correct position.
  • Off-grey/tan or oatmeal riding patch on inner thigh, made of leather or suede. 
  • British Desert DPM camo dyed brown and black to make them darker.
  • Leg pouches must be constructed and measure 6 inches high by 4 inches wide by 1.5 inches deep.

Shoulder Armor
    • Tan base coat
    • Camo patterns colored dark green and flat brown
    • Panzer Oliver Green
    • Flat Earth Brown
  • Black/grey/white misting.
  • Optional: paint scrapes may be represented with silver or chrome paint, not to exceed what is seen on screen.

Upper Arm Armor
    • Tan base coat.
    • Camo patterns colored dark green and flat brown.
  • Left bicep armor has a gray strap and gray greeblie.
  • Right bicep armor has a gray greeblie. 
    • Panzer Oliver Green
    • Flat Earth Brown
  • Optional: paint scrapes may be represented with silver or chrome paint, not to exceed what is seen on screen.
  • Bicep armor greeblies are screen accurate.

Elbow / Forearm Armor
    • Tan base coat.
  • 2 grey straps for each forearm piece. 
    • Panzer Oliver Green
    • Flat Earth Brown

Gloves
  • Gauntlet-style gloves.
    • black leather from the fingers to the wrists.
    • gauntlet section is brown.
    • back of hand has 2 light gray patches.
  • 2 rubber greeblies (gray or taupe) on gauntlets.
  • Gray strap circles the wrist.
  • No labels/logos, clips or external straps 
  • Glove greeblie is screen accurate.
  • Wrist strap has small buckle detail.

Chest Armor
    • Tan base coat.
  • 2 grey colored straps connect the chest and back plates. 
    • Panzer Oliver Green
    • Flat Earth Brown
  • Armor joins flush on the sides.

Back Armor
    • Tan base coat
  • Back plate has a tank attached.
    • Top of the tank is flat with a detail piece painted black.
    • Tank has black stripe detail. 
    • Panzer Oliver Green
    • Flat Earth Brown

Cummerbund
  • Dark gray base with lighter gray vertical straps.
  • Closure in the back, covered by tank and rear pouches.
  • A midsection belt goes around cummerbund.
    • Belt has 2 vertical black straps on the front.
  • 16 pouches of various sizes and shapes attach to the cummerbund.
  • Molle vests or variants are not acceptable. 
  • Midsection belt is 2 inches tall and goes around entire cummerbund
    • Silver-gray in color.
    • 2 vertical black straps have a set of white dotted lines on each side.

Pouches
  • 16 pouches resembling size of screen-used.
    • Pouches have different closing flap configurations.
  • Pouches have camo pattern.
    • Cloth-covered and painted with a tan base and camo pattern to match armor
  • 2 long front pouches.
  • 2 small rectangular front pouches.
  • 8 small side pouches.
  • 2 long back pouches.
  • 2 large rectangular back pouches 
  • Cummerbund pouch sizes as follows:
    • 2 Long front pouches: 7 inches high x 4 inches wide x 1.5 inches deep
    • 2 small front pouches: 2.5 inches high x 4 inches wide x 1.5 inches deep
    • 8 small side pouches
      • Top 4 small side pouches are 3 inches tall x 4 inches wide x 1.5 inches deep
      • Bottom 4 small pouches are 4.5 inches tall x 4 inches wide x 1.5 inches deep
    • 2 Long back pouches: 7 inches high x 4 inches wide x 1.5 inches deep
    • 2 rectangular back pouches: 4 inches high x 7 inches wide x 1.5 inches deep

Belt
  • Grey with black insets.
  • 2 trapezoid drop boxes hang from belt and belt buckle by 4 tan straps
    • Cloth-covered and painted with a khaki base and camo pattern to match armor 
  • Buckle is gunmetal gray
  • Dropbox straps are 1/2 inch wide

Codpiece
  • Triangular in shape.
  • Cloth covered and painted in camo pattern to match armor.
  • Attaches to backside of belt buckle. 

Knee Armor
    • Tan base coat
  • Grey straps for each piece of knee armor. 
    • Panzer Oliver Green
    • Flat Earth Brown

Lower Leg Armor
    • Tan base coat
  • Shin armor pieces are seamless.
  • 2 khaki or tan straps on each shin.
  • Black buckle and a smaller clip on each belt. 
    • Panzer Oliver Green
    • Flat Earth Brown

Boot Caps (Foot Armor)
    • Tan base coat
  • 2 black rings on upper outside edge of each boot cap. 
    • Panzer Oliver Green
    • Flat Earth Brown
  • Black rings measure 1 inch in diameter.

Boots
  • Main body of boot is beige - similar to Beige Desert Military Boots.
  • Boots have a curve shape in the arch area.
  • Khaki or tan soles.
  • Boot sole has small arches carved out
    • 4 small arches on each side of the front of the boot
    • 2 small arches on each side of the heel
  • Like 1

I love this man! I'm glad I haven't quite started my kit so I can build to level 2 specs. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jakeputt said:

I love this man! I'm glad I haven't quite started my kit so I can build to level 2 specs. 

Great!  Just keep in mind that this CRL is not finalized yet.   There may be some adjustments made before it "goes green" as we say.

3 hours ago, Jakeputt said:

Same. I've had a Kashyyyk kit sitting in a box for the past 6 months. I've trimmed and glued a few pieces but as soon as I heard there was a Lvl 2 coming, I put it on hold and switched over to the Biker Scout build.

I'm very excited to get the Kashy build going again. Seeing as there's not much activity on the Kashy side of the forum, I'll definitely do a build log after the New Year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Barber said:

Same. I've had a Kashyyyk kit sitting in a box for the past 6 months. I've trimmed and glued a few pieces but as soon as I heard there was a Lvl 2 coming, I put it on hold and switched over to the Biker Scout build.

I'm very excited to get the Kashy build going again. Seeing as there's not much activity on the Kashy side of the forum, I'll definitely do a build log after the New Year.

That would be excellent!   We really want to give this costume a push and we hope the new CRL will help do that

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Barber said:

Can´t wait to see it!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Jakeputt said:

More great news!

Man we gotta update the CRL more often....

• Like 2

Great work guys.  Also motivation for me to finally get back into finishing mine.  A couple of points IMHO:

-  The camouflage colours have always been a sticking point.  Not to have to do it, but the pain people go through to get them right and the fact everyone has their own opinions on exactly what those colours are (and how to apply them).  A lot of this stems from the fact the specified colours/brands are just flat-out not available in a lot of countries, and therefore many people are left to try to colour-match screenshots they've printed out.  Is it possible to specifically define, for example, the hex or decimal RGB colour codes for these colours so there is no doubt exactly what they are and are also easier to get made up if required.

-  The cummerbund.  This one kills me.  My opinion.... It's just not grey.  Grey makes no sense paired with a camouflage uniform (I, like many here have worn one for years) and in high def screenshots it clearly looks khaki, stained with rust/brown.  I have the utmost respect for the guys who drafted the original CRL and I'm sure the screenshots available at the time looked grey, but I just can't accept that was what the designers of the characters intended.  I have no problem at all with not accepting MOLLE vests, but the thing is khaki, not grey.

-  " 2 vertical black straps have a set of white dotted lines on each side. " on the cummerbund level 2.  Do the screenshots support this?  I have no issue if it can be seen, just haven't specifically noticed it before.  Would something simple like using white stitching on these straps suffice?

Anyway that's my noob feedback.  Thanks very much for the update on this, very much appreciate it.

So far I have the gloves, the visor plastic and acetate, the material for the cummerbund and pockets and the British desert camo top and bottoms. I plan on buying the boots next month and I gave woodchuck 50 to be on the list for his upcoming long rifle run. Still need to unpick the the top though.

2 hours ago, Bally said:

Great work guys.  Also motivation for me to finally get back into finishing mine.  A couple of points IMHO:

-  The camouflage colours have always been a sticking point.  Not to have to do it, but the pain people go through to get them right and the fact everyone has their own opinions on exactly what those colours are (and how to apply them).  A lot of this stems from the fact the specified colours/brands are just flat-out not available in a lot of countries, and therefore many people are left to try to colour-match screenshots they've printed out.  Is it possible to specifically define, for example, the hex or decimal RGB colour codes for these colours so there is no doubt exactly what they are and are also easier to get made up if required.

-  The cummerbund.  This one kills me.  My opinion.... It's just not grey.  Grey makes no sense paired with a camouflage uniform (I, like many here have worn one for years) and in high def screenshots it clearly looks khaki, stained with rust/brown.  I have the utmost respect for the guys who drafted the original CRL and I'm sure the screenshots available at the time looked grey, but I just can't accept that was what the designers of the characters intended.  I have no problem at all with not accepting MOLLE vests, but the thing is khaki, not grey.

-  " 2 vertical black straps have a set of white dotted lines on each side. " on the cummerbund level 2.  Do the screenshots support this?  I have no issue if it can be seen, just haven't specifically noticed it before.  Would something simple like using white stitching on these straps suffice?

Anyway that's my noob feedback.  Thanks very much for the update on this, very much appreciate it.

Hey Craig, thanks for chiming in!

The colors we have on the CRL are just the recommended ones.   We really just ask that you come as close as you can.  We realize the difficulty in getting the same spray paints in every country.  We have the same issue with the Shore trooper, where the blue is fairly hard to obtain outside of Europe.   if we can get codes for the colors and post them up, we definitely will!

Well there's sense, and then there's Star Wars!   It's very hard to tell from the film.  The Kashyyyk scenes have a bluish tinge to them and of course, the characters are all CGI.  So we have to then rely on secondary sources like the toys.  And the ones I've seen the cummerbunds are gray.  At the bare minimum a stone color.  But I think this one is definitely open for discussion with the Armor team and we'll see what we can come up with.

Yes stitching is totally fine.  We just put "dotted" lines in case someone wanted to do it with paint.  The point is just to have the dotted lines, the method is not important.

Once again thanks for the good points.  This new CRL has just been posted in the Wiki but we are still open to suggestions.

Hi!

Like Mickey said the colors are recomended ones, I'd love to get someone "in the know" get us a couple of NCS or PANTONE references, this would be greatly appreciated. Meanwhile the suggested colors work pretty well, in my personal case I believed the suggested green was "too flat" (for lack of better word) and used another stronger tone with my build, together with the weathering and flat lacquer I believe it turned out okish...

For the overall color of the cummerbund its been accepted to be gray for some years now, in the begining it was accepted as a light olive green but better stills came out and also canon toys.

For a CRL to be accepted/created you have to take into consideration all media pertaining the character, in some instances this includes oficial art printed by Lucas/Disney/Game developers or Toys, the key word is the oficial, it makes things canon.

On ‎12‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 8:13 AM, Bally said:

Hey Craig!
I had to dig around and find the picture that we went by. I had to ask about it back in 2009 when I was "refining" my "used" Kashyyyk armor.
I was also going by the pictures of other people's build. (Mainly MrBungle. One of the "original" CRL creators.)

Top picture below...
I found another picture of the details on the shins and boots. (Same source.)
It shows a lot of the "grey" patches here and there. (Referring to the option on a color shown in different screen shots as well.)

Middle picture below...
The two black strips I had originally used were made out of two bent pieces of black metal that was originally a "wreath hanger" for a door.
And I painted the white (Well then they looked silver) dotted or dashed lines on them.
The same picture also shows that the bottom side pouches are a bit larger than the top side pouches. (4 on each side of the cummerbund.)
The reference picture I had found was originally from someone dealing with Hasbro or Lucasfilm. I really can't remember. It's been that long ago.
But, it had been a picture that we used for the detail. It's CGI, of course, but we have gone by it and a few other "found" reference pictures, due to the lack of "perfect images" from our beloved CGI Kashyyyk Troopers in Episode III.

Bottom picture below...
And one other screen shot that shows what would be the proper sole (tread pattern) to the boot. It has been called "The Flying Kashyyyk!"
And shows how the tan riding patch is actually shaped. And that the cod piece actually fits like a cod piece...
I hope I can get these pictures on here properly....Photobucket and I are not on speaking terms...
I might have to have some help on the posting of the pictures.
(**Edit...Thanks for posting the pictures, Mickey!**)

As far as the cummerbund color...I've always gone with the grey color, but with heavy weathering. These Troopers are hitting the beaches of Kashyyyk. So, there should be lots of sand and dirt flying around and getting our Troopers a bit on the dirty side. There are also some closer detail pictures floating around that show rust stains and tan or brown dirt on it. (Similar to the middle picture below.)
I have always recommended that people weather the hell out of the cummerbund and the armor.

And I have some of the "ribbon" that you can have to use for the black strips, if you want it.
(Yeah, I found it at a fabric store and bought the whole roll.) I've been using that for all of the cummerbunds I have made.
Or you can stitch on the white or even paint it on.
Just let me know if you want any. No charge. No hurries. no worries.
Cheers!

Here are the pics232997e6001425a2f86a2fd19a250b69.jpg67d425775abc81bdfdc06a92b01cbf45.jpg15c05a38c50ab14d0f0bb7a1a61cddb0.jpg

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

OK I'll drop the khaki cummerbund campaign 😂.  Reckon we can agree the stripes are evenly spaced though based on the screenies, not the variable spacing which has become the standard design?