Rainheart's Rebel Scout WIP

Rainheart

Well, brand new at this. Decided to purchase a WTF Rebels Scout back in May and finally have gotten started on it over the past week. Any tips are greatly appreciated!

What is everyone using to connect their visor to the helmet?

42 minutes ago, Rainheart said:

Those gloves are not acceptable for basic, but here is a highly recommended pair that many here use.

https://www.wampawear.com/product/biker-scout-gloves/

Once you get to five posts, you will be able to access the trading post, so you can look there for spare gloves or anything else you need (like soft parts).

As for the helmet, the face plate and visor are glued together. The visor/face plate are then connected to the rest of the helmet on the sides with flat or concave gray bolts for basic and Gray 3M bolts for Lancer (visible bolt head diameter of 22mm). (info taken from CRL http://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:TB_Scout_trooper)

10 hours ago, Rainheart said:

They have a visible “H” logo on the gauntlet so they do not meet the basic requirements.

To connect the visor to the helmet I used chicago screws. You need to drill out the rear of the resin discs so they fit over the screw. Also be aware the “bumps” on the helmet are not symmetrical, so first position the visor correctly before you mark/drill the holes on the bumps.

I’m not sure what the forum limits are for posting images, but you can use an external photo hosting site like imgur to embed them in your post. You need to copy the “bbcode” link to your image.

Here's where I'm at as of starting today. I'm going to sand a bit more, waiting on my paint to arrive. Will start gluing the facemask to the visor (or is it better to paint first then glue as you did ScaryGuy?). Also want to work on getting my chest pieces connected. Thank you for the input, I'll go out and get some of those today! Also will caulk my tank today, too

SvpRAVv.jpg

LVVDAug.jpg

nJmkDof.jpg

73DCYtl.jpg

xL9CgGw.jpg

5mwxzbe.jpg

P1ZWpch.jpg

V6ODa4z.jpg

XAwmAg3.jpg

qDtSki9.jpg

TNGeXMg.jpg

I would suggest gluing the facemask to the visor first. This way you are sure everything fits together before you start painting it. So also attach the visor to the helmet with the chicago screws. What filler/bondo are you using? Make sure it is flexible, I had some serious issues with paint starting to crack at the seam, so I had to repaint the entire helmet. Test it by bending the helmet and visor a bit. It will also flex when you put your helmet on or off.

You’re making good progress. The plastic is quite thick so it needs more effort to get nice smooth edges.

@ScaryGuy

I did more sanding today to get those edges smooth. Will continue prior to painting. I used just regular bondo but regretted doing so afterwards. I've sanded most of it off and the seam is mostly DevCon plastic welder at this point. Went out and picked up some Chicago screws so will work on getting that screwed together and sanded correctly prior to painting. Thank you so much for your input and your great WIP thread. I've been going off of that a lot.

• Like 1

Today's progress... I ended up sanding down a lot more of my bucket and used the devcon plastic welder. I have a lot more sanding to do still but am starting to grow frustrated. Am I doing this right? I'm using 220 grit to sand down by hand and then I have 400 to finish. I glued my faceplate to the visor today as well, still curing (using e3000). I also caulked my tank today (for a second time as the first did not go as planned). Looks better but have to clean it up. I sprayed the inside of my bucket black as well and ordered some helmet pads for it. Lastly, I trimmed up my forearms.

rhLmeA0.jpg

bWKqEFY.jpg

HS30y2M.jpg

SWHIyWD.jpg

HECyGbM.jpg

eW0Ic2E.jpg

rTP6VqH.jpg

IppYMtX.jpg

UGDMr6G.jpg

lQybfbr.jpg

BM3q61r.jpg

Think these gloves will work? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FM5SYX8/?coliid=I1ND37CL8IAI92&colid=CIGC1IODUBCY&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Thanks everyone so far for the feedback!

I feel for you, I know how tedious this work is. The plastic welder is pretty hard so I started with 120 grit paper, then 180, 240 and finally wet sanding with 400. While the plastic welder is great for bonding things together, it's more difficult to use as a filler. It melts the plastic a bit so you need to apply it evenly to avoid creating new gaps. In a video Walt posted on his WTF page he recommended applying a wide band of plastic welder (like 1.5 - 2 inch) over the seam and then sand that down. It might be easer to use a different filler for this, but then I recommend to ask advice from a professional like at a car body shop. Maybe a plastic bumper filler would do the job. But I would test it on a scrap piece of plastic. It needs to adhere to the plastic and still be flexible enough to avoid cracking.

I think you need to trim back the edges a bit more, the ident along the edge should be gone. Cut the abs close to the edge then use 120 grit to remove the remaining. Then 180 and maybe 240 to get the edges nice and smooth.

d1inIlN.jpg

I don't see any logos and there aren't many stitch lines, so those gloves look good.

• Thanks 1

@Scaryguy thank you so much for all your input. It is very appreciated!

What I did tonight was sand down all I could of the devcon and applied bondo overlying the parts that weren't flat. I'll work on sanding that down tomorrow to try to get a more even feel. Fingers crossed!! I also trimmed down a lot of the areas that needed a close trim with a fine-grit sanding dremel tool and then took my 220 grit sandpaper to finish. I mostly worked on the front chest piece and the one of the forearms. I have the before and after for comparison. I also trimmed back the visor and faceplate just a bit to get a more even look.

How was my gluing of the faceplate to the visor? I tried to get it as even as possible and I didn't think that I could get both sides perfectly even the way I wanted it. Will it be alright for approval like this or do I need to trim the overhanging part of the visor on the right side? Or should I just try to pry it apart and re-glue?

lq47sdZ.jpg

SAiCuWw.jpg

oBch9zK.jpg

8lW68uP.jpg

61TUn2T.jpg

QUvIIEN.jpg

l6SKeBc.jpg

G1ZiUq3.jpg

wM5lUiu.jpg

dSMYOlH.jpg

aqtl9oB.jpg

fJqRMRd.jpg

7HcpI7h.jpg

Ec4ufqj.jpg

I wouldn’t use a dremel to sand down the edges, it’s  difficult to control. Especially on the side of the chest I can see a lot of variation in the width of the return edge. It’s better to this by hand with a larger piece of sandpaper and/or a sanding block. Far easier to control and it sands a larger area at the same time.

I think you can cut back the return edge (overhang) around the visor a bit more. Try to get the width the same on both sides. Compare it with the close up pictures of the helmet in my build thread.

The gap between the faceplate and the visor at the top could have been a bit less, and the right side of the faceplate is moved a bit forward compared to the left side (which looks good). I think it should be approvable, but that is for the GML of your local garrison to decide. If you glued it with e6000 (you mention e3000?) it’s fairly easy to take them apart and redo it if you want to. You can use a putty knife to pry them apart (be careful to not use too much force on the plastic).

I didn’t show it in my build thread, but when I had to repaint the entire helmet I removed the faceplate from the visor, and I made a cut with a dremel in the reinforcement pieces that held the visor halves together. This way I could move the faceplate closer to the top.

vMMf0cf.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...
9 hours ago, Rainheart said:

Thanks to everyone who has contributed thus far! I think I only have one more task, which is to attach the holster to the boot. Any suggestions on how to go about this? I have my boots from Steph. Thanks!

Good to hear you’re almost done!

I used two chicago screws to attach the holster. There’s a piece of abs inside to boot to prevent the screws tearing through the vinyl.

Q2Zn6SX.jpg

85LqLz1.jpg

On 11/26/2020 at 2:30 AM, ScaryGuy said:

Good to hear you’re almost done!

I used two chicago screws to attach the holster. There’s a piece of abs inside to boot to prevent the screws tearing through the vinyl.

Q2Zn6SX.jpg

85LqLz1.jpg

Thank you! You have been so helpful. I'll be getting that attached once I get the right punch for it. Lastly, what does everyone's helmet look like on the inside so it sits well on their head? Do you recommend the hard hat insert? I have a pretty small head and it is quite uncomfortable at the moment. Thanks!

5 minutes ago, Rainheart said:

Thank you! You have been so helpful. I'll be getting that attached once I get the right punch for it. Lastly, what does everyone's helmet look like on the inside so it sits well on their head? Do you recommend the hard hat insert? I have a pretty small head and it is quite uncomfortable at the moment. Thanks!

I think it’s going to be difficult to fit a hard hat liner. The easy way is to use pieces of foam. I didn’t have much room inside the helmet, so there’s just a layer of 3 mm foam in the top of the helmet, and some thicker foam and helmet pads at the front and rear to prevent the helmet tilting.

rgflYnT.jpg

On 11/27/2020 at 3:18 PM, ScaryGuy said:

I think it’s going to be difficult to fit a hard hat liner. The easy way is to use pieces of foam. I didn’t have much room inside the helmet, so there’s just a layer of 3 mm foam in the top of the helmet, and some thicker foam and helmet pads at the front and rear to prevent the helmet tilting.

rgflYnT.jpg

Do you remember where you found the thicker foam at the top? Looks great! 

1 minute ago, Rainheart said:

Do you remember where you found the thicker foam at the top? Looks great! 

That’s noise insulation / sound absorbing foam which I got from a local DIY store. These come in large sheets. I use these as padding inside my transportation boxes, I had some scrap pieces left which I sometimes use as helmet padding.