PR2 Armor Scratchbuild

PropReplicator2

Hey folks,

Over the past one or two weeks I have been working on my bucks/masters for my rebels biker scout armor. The bucks I have built and am currently building are built with the intention of later vacuuforming them to create plastic armor. The tank topper and bicep greeblies will be cast in resin or a hard rubber later to insure the detail presented by those pieces is captured to the fullest extent.

All of the bucks are crafted from wood and styrene sheets, the spot-filled with bondo, sanded, primed, and gloss coated.

The bicep greeblie: jzhWRQN.jpg

Tank topper: sd4cFvU.jpg

Belt boxes and buckles: uYfL22V.jpg

My main question to those purchasing kits for this version of the biker scout is this: would it be better to make these belt boxes in cast resin, or vacuuformed plastic? I ask because the resin boxes and buckled could be placed on the belt with snaps, but will be slightly heavier, and the vac-formed boxes will be lighter but not as sturdy.

• Like 1

The boxes aren’t big so I don’t think weight is going to be an issue. I think I would prefer resin boxes because they would be solid. The abs boxes from the WTF kit don’t have an inner box so I need to fill them to connect them to the belt. Would the strength be the same for the center box that holds the pouch straps?

Are you going to make to boxes flat with no groove? 

1 hour ago, ScaryGuy said:

The boxes aren’t big so I don’t think weight is going to be an issue. I think I would prefer resin boxes because they would be solid. The abs boxes from the WTF kit don’t have an inner box so I need to fill them to connect them to the belt. Would the strength be the same for the center box that holds the pouch straps?

Are you going to make to boxes flat with no groove? 

All boxes and both buckles would be solid cast. This means that to add the straps for the drop pouches you would drill holes through buckle front. It would look the same as the abs buckles from the outside, but would obviously have an extra bit of strength and durability. Like the bicep greeblie, the lines will be engraved with flat rectangular walls to come out neater than lines that are engraved by hands.