Shoretrooper - Droid Built!

FarEast

Many thanks! I found it yesterday so once I get the printer Runner me again I’ll be back at it!!!

Also I found a paint shop that can replicate the Montana Gold Sahara beige using spectrum analysis and pigment analysis - a little pricey but looking by at how much the paints go for it’s nto all that bad and I get it by the litre!!!

I bought my Montana Gold for less that $10 per 400ml can. I've seen them outside of Switzerland for even less. Paint I've had colour matched for my Iron Man build cost me nearly $25 per can.

Thats great for you Wannabeuk but I can't get it in Japan as there is no importer for it here, Sure I can get it shipped but it has to be ground shipped from either Europe or the US and that's going to cost me over 300 USD - If I can find a supplier willing to actually ship it! Cheaper and faster to have a liter mixed up through a paint shop here.

So.....I finally finished sanding and priming the helmet and put down a coat of flat black Mr. Hobby 500 grade primer. I use this extensively for some of the professional work I do as its incredibly hard wearing.

Wuo7m9i.jpg

lvGJXWu.jpg

f5YsSDy.jpg

H9XEK77.jpg

UMNiXlE.jpg

hG6kxKg.jpg

lFsQQja.jpg

hhqi4yd.jpg

So this afternoon I will then spray a coat of flat black paint and let it cure and then apply a flat clear coat. Sadly there isn't a lot I can do now until I get the printer running again or the test samples for the paint arrive.

• Like 1

Guys also need some advice - I noticed on prop photos and some members builds that they are texturising the finish of their helmets with Rust-Oleum products - is this something I should also be doing as I can not see it mentioned on the CRL list for the Shoretrooper

• Like 1

Nice looking helmet! (One of the holes in the aerator needs cleaning ;))

The texture is not required, not for level 2 either. It's a matter of personal preference if you want it to add that extra accuracy. But if you do the texture should match with the screen references.

• Like 3

So I was put in direct contact with the great people at Montana Gold, sadly they confirm that shipping to Japan is impossible due to the nature of the chemicals used in the paint and that its a pressurised can - however they did put me in contact with a company call Zakai and specifically a colour from the FLAME range.

FLAME / FB-704 beige brown

100802987.jpg?cmsp_timestamp=20160404000858

100802987_o2.jpg?cmsp_timestamp=20160403230500

So I've ordered the VERY last 2 cans of this to compare with the samples that Stefan has kindly posted out to me. But either way its a win as I will either have either enough paint to do the helmet or actual samples that can be used to mix an exact copy of the colour by Montana Gold

• Like 1

I'm having a lot of issues right now with the printer miss printing the thin wall sections of the Front armor. It's a real PITA!

The top and bottom printed fine but the central middle section just doesn't want to play! I ended up laying it flat on the print bed rather than vertical, I will see how this pans out tonight when I get home.

All of the parts for the replacement heater core came plus a few extras so I don't need to worry about down time!

35w6NwE.jpg

and with the whole of Saturday gone rebuilding the extruder assembly and calibration I was good to go!

kg9GdD3.jpg

e4cTLu3.jpg

EsUhaEQ.jpg

I also upgraded the nozzles to hardened steel!

Our first catch of the day!

hZa2zdk.jpg

01WZWek.jpg

0aUETJe.jpg

Sadly the last attempt was on the central middle was going perfectly until I had a piece of filament snap off in the PTFE Hot-end tube and the print failed! I was so gutted! This also meant I had to completely take apart the extruder again and clean out the offending part.

sIkeGzv.jpg

So back to the grind again!

So while the printer was chugging away I decided to get some paint down - Masking off the mask was a simple task and very therapeutic after the printer fiasco!

29rXvJ2.jpg

Hmmmmm. Shoretrooper for Volcanic beaches?

I had contacted Montana Gold directly and was sadly informed that they can't ship the paint to Japan due to the chemicals used in it and that its a low pressure canister. However they did put me in contact with a Japanese supplier of FLAME and gave me a paint code that they said should match.

RuW82m9.jpg

NOPE!

To dark, way to dark - however I'm going to leave it as it is a very good base coat and will enable me to use it as preshading in the recessed areas and will add some nice contrast in the worn areas when I come to do weathering.

So I have discovered 3 simple rules when using PETG with the printer

Rule #1: Don't touch the printer!

Rule #2: Don't touch the printer!

Rule #3: Clean the printer head after each print!

Also I've started using Slic3r PE rather than Prusa Control.

So yesterday I got home and FINALLY I have a print of the central chest plate!

sOSfuYC.jpg

Also a huge thank you to member TK8271 Rogue Trooper for sending me the paint matches for the Shoretrooper build! I can now get these mixed to match perfectly!

Rp2IQQa.jpg

As you can see although they probably use the same pigments in the FLAME Paints equivalent the weight is very different!

UMv3uVU.jpg

So with the central sections now printed I can bond and see what the sizing is like.

8a0H0bs.jpg

Excuse the bed hair - it was 4am here and I was more interested in getting the build moving along and the next print file running!

eCmcURw.jpg

Glad they arrived

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Again thank thank you so much for those as they won’t just help me but the rest of the Japan Garrison if anyone else builds the Shoretrooper!

• Like 1

So the long march continues!

zI38h1i.jpg

OLL9R7W.jpg?1

One of the parts wasn't such a good print but probably faster and easier to clean it up with automotive filler than to print another.

pOau9ub.jpg

I spoke to Sean Fields about the fit and it turns out that we are about the same build, so hopefully there we be no sizing issues!

• Like 1

I spoke to Sean Fields about the fit and it turns out that we are about the same build, so hopefully there we be no sizing issues!

Just for those also wondering about sizing. I am 5'11", 43" Chest, 36" waist and printing all sections at 100% fit just fine. You can see an image on my blog here: http://forum.bikerscout.net/index.php?showtopic=18820&pid=170310&st=20entry170310

If anything be mindful of the fit of the shins as these may need resizing for both length and width depending on your build.

• Like 1

Just for those also wondering about sizing. I am 5'11", 43" Chest, 36" waist and printing all sections at 100% fit just fine. You can see an image on my blog here: http://forum.bikersc...20

If anything be mindful of the fit of the shins as these may need resizing for both length and width depending on your build.

Many thanks for that! Can you recommend any software that will allow measurement of the actual print files?

So with my samples in hand I headed down to the custom paint shop - they asked me a whole heap of questions regarding the paint and asked if I was ok with them scratching off parts to run through the machine.

l5DfUQJ.jpg

He took one look at the red and grabbed a can of T-16 - 3E5 straight off the shelf, yup they know paint!

kW7W3Bm.jpg

Interesting that its HOLTS - although I believe its actually owned by a Japanese company as its huge here.

So after filling in the forms and parting with my Imperial credits they told me that it would be ready in a day unless the weather was bad - they need natural sunlight to make sure that the paint is an exact match!

So now I'm waiting for that phone call as its a beautiful day!

BaVmgl9.jpg

• Like 1

Breakfast done and the kids off to clubs went and checked on the printer, last part of the left side was finished.

71XNabg.jpg

so immediately cleaned the print bed and set it off again on the last left piece for the armor and also the first right plate.

ncPuulv.jpg

Fabrication also began, god I love it!

VooXl8W.jpg

Nvv8G2R.jpg

Just for those also wondering about sizing. I am 5'11", 43" Chest, 36" waist and printing all sections at 100% fit just fine. You can see an image on my blog here: http://forum.bikerscout.net/index.php?showtopic=18820&pid=170310&st=20entry170310

Be careful with the forearms too. I believe the scale is off there. I cut a portion of each end and printed it to check fit. Good luck!

Sent from my KFSUWI using Tapatalk

A few more bits came off the printer this morning - and I also got the call from the paint shop!

D65yR4b.jpg

After a kick drive in to Yokohama I was home in no time and with daylight being in plenty supply I busted out the rattle cans!

I had to test each one as they had come loose in the back of the car - so decided to mark them so I wouldn't make any schoolboy errors!

Grpmcl1.jpg

So straight after spraying the tone is a little off however they told me that as it dries it will match perfectly.

CWOUwtJ.jpg

About 30 minutes later the paint is starting to change colour and the match is there!

nxgLbzF.jpg

• Like 2

The next step was to make the Scarif Logo on the blast shield, I have a Silhouette cutter so I just fired up the software and cut a printing mask out.

lW4rOTC.jpg

KtDcQTG.jpg

Jgba2KJ.jpg

pYi8QYp.jpg

f7hcGhh.jpg

I used shield tape to wrap the helmet - the last thing I wanted was Red Toyota paint everywhere!

G2Nk2G8.jpg

So with the paint finally cured it was time to get weathering and this stuff comes out at a bit of a rate!

zWCSvkq.jpg

while it was tacky I ran some heavy grit sand paper over it, then once cured fine grit to give it a slightly faded finish.

bERlwaG.jpg

Due to my other job - I have a whole arrangement of pigments and weathering products at hand so naturally grabbed the following:

• Oil Paints -Blacks, Browns and Beiges
  • Tamiya Panel Line Inks - Black
  • Tamiya Panel Line Inks - Dark Brown
  • Tamiya Panel Line Inks - Brown
  • Mig Weathering - Engine oil
  • Mig Weathering - Wet Mud
  • Mig Weathering - North Africa Dust

The trick is to work slowly letting each level dry fully and seal before starting the next. starting with the Darkest first.

I'm still waiting on the lens as well as the chin strap, as well as the internal padding.

So here is the finished product!

xSOE6P0.jpg

xo2m7Dy.jpg

tEvevnc.jpg

rRWNVaH.jpg

zVtncbE.jpg

31vNbeD.jpg

mcX8Lmj.jpg

JQ1qPpx.jpg

GmumzDA.jpg

• Like 3

Thank you - obviously need to close the angled vents on the side add visor and chin strap but can you see anything that I need to address?

Nothing that jumps out mate, nice job

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk