Clone Deeces

Guest torso_boy

Guest torso_boy

Episode III shows the BARC troopers carrying both the standard clone trooper DC-15 long rifle AND the Carbine models.

For troopers on the front lines, Carbines were used for the shorter ranges.

cap062.jpg

But for troopers at distances, the long rifles were uses.

cap068.jpg

No other weaponry was seen on the BARC troopers, so no other weapons should be considered. However, I know that Faie wore the BARC armor for a while, and he was featured in some comics, so if the BARCs carry anything different in the comics, let us know.

In one scene in the comic there is a BARC using some kind of a small blaster. I am not familiar with clone weapons. I have all Scenes with BARCS of the said issue of Dark Horse Republic mentioned in the wikipedia article. Will upload to AS in case he wants to add to the gallery.

11.jpg

When the clones are attempting to kill Yoda from behind the BARC uses a carbine I believe.

Yeah, looking in the gallery, it sure looks like a DC-15 carbine to me.

Yeah, looking in the gallery, it sure looks like a DC-15 carbine to me.

Yes it is, I did the stop frame by frame at that sceen and zoomed in to see some things and you can see that is a DC-15.

Guest torso_boy

There really isn't any question about that though - the only two weapons the BARCs carried in Episode III were the Deece long rifle and the Deece carbine. The photos in the first post were just examples of each weapon in the hands of a BARC Trooper, not necessarily a listing of each scene in which an armed BARC was seen.

That comic scan shows an interesting gun. It doesn't really match up to any known weapon design (Current known clone pistols: ARC Trooper Fordo pistols, clone commander pistols [both variants], and RC sidearm), so perhaps we can enlist the clone expert Karen Traviss on this?

You know that Karen will hesitate to name anything. Personally, I hate using comic books as references because so many things are stylized and exaggerated in the sake of artistic impression. Many times, a character or item doesn't retain its look from frame to frame. Why can't the BARC just be limited to the carbine and long rifle?

You know that Karen will hesitate to name anything. Personally, I hate using comic books as references because so many things are stylized and exaggerated in the sake of artistic impression. Many times, a character or item doesn't retain its look from frame to frame. Why can't the BARC just be limited to the carbine and long rifle?

I second that.

Guest torso_boy

I agree. I've fought that battle over at CTN with Commander Keller, the mysterious Clone Commander of the white Galactic Marines. It's so obvious that by looking at all of the helmet shots, he wears a beehive helmet, but everyone there is like "well I think it's some special variant" or "perhaps its not really supposed to be a beehive." I'm like "WHY CAN'T YOU PEOPLE SEE THAT?!?!! THE ARTIST JUST CAN'T DRAW IT ACCURATELY!!!" So I fully agree that comics aren't a very good source for anything regarding detail and accuracy (except for when the artist is very detailed and consistant with details)- and it's especially problematic with Star Wars because so many of the armor parts and helmets are difficult to draw accurately.

So perhaps we should just leave this mystery gun as just that - "Mystery gun" - and not recommend any future BARC Trooper carry such a weapon for canon accuracy. No details are shown on it, and due to the artist's take on the BARC Trooper, we can't be assured that anything about this mystery gun is even supported by the rest of the Clone Wars era writers and artists.

Though I think it's obvious that Keller uses a beehive helmet :)

However I just brought that into the thread as T-boy mentioned it.

I agree that comics as well as games are not a good source - even Hasabro/Koto/GG busts and figures are not really adequate resource.

Guess what in the first book of these Kashyyk episodes the barcs use clone white armor with just the barc helmets :)

I can give you scans later. But I have only the Dark Horse interpretation of Keller of course. I'll shoot you a PM once I have them online.

• 2 weeks later...

A good friend of mine, and a member of my garrison, is currently working on a Commander Keller costume and he came to the same conclusion that he wears a standard beehive helmet and that the artist was just exercising artistic license.

My garrisonmate got his beehive helmet the other day and I saw it when I was over at his house tonight. It's quite nice. Anyway, the new 501st costuming standards, if ratified, will require comic and games costumes to portray not the stylized look of the source material, but what that armor would look like had it seen screen time. In other words, "real life".

The Keller example of dark horse is quite authentic regarding beehive helmet and armor. The detail of art is depending on artist and scene. But the Keller unlike other troops got caught quite well. Should be no problem to replicate.

May I also interject just one more observation? 99.9% of all the clones, stormtroopers, BARCs, scouts, etc. were digitally created. Artist creations to Lucas's specifications.

So getting it right is even more of a challenge because:

1) You have the program renderings which on some occations varied right in the same scene.

2) You don't have exact items that are purchasable, so modifications must be done to nearly every item purchased to create the look.

3) Depending on the quality and settings of what you are reviewing your images on (i.e. computer, DVD player, television etc.) The colors, details, and appearance of items will be varied.

I guess my question is, "Can you really get an absolute 'cannon' rendition of an item? Or is that something that the larger part of the collective votes on due to general concensus?"

Ladyghst915 has a point that is sometimes lost in this new wave of costuming. Whereas before costumes like the biker scout were actually worn by human beings, clonetroopers of all shapes and sizes were all digital creations. Not one suit was ever made in real life. CGI armor was never made to be worn by real human beings. It can be aesthetically pleasing to look at but it was never designed to move with a real person inside it.

If you look at a clone trooper's helmet, for example, you will see that it is barely bigger than the head that goes into it. If it were a real helmet, it would be near impossible to wear. As a result real world clone trooper helmets tend to look oversized relative to the human body. They have to be to accommodate a real human head comfortable. The only thing we fans can hold that is the closest to the real thing is the Master Replicas clone trooper helmet, which was modelled directly from the CGI files ILM used and, even then, MR had to increase the size by 15% in order for people to get it on their heads. Even then, it's way too snug for people like me to wear them comfortably.

What this ends up meaning in the end is that some design compromises have to be made when crafting armor based on digital models. Sometimes the size, or the curve or shape of a piece of armor has to be modified so that, for instance, it doesn't pinch or cut the wearer when walking around. Sculptors have to balance functionality with accurate design and it's a tough balancing act sometimes.

Well, it is still possible to get it quite near the CGI arts. It is just a matter of costs as LadyGhst already mentioned - everything has to be custom made to get it near the screen example.

And of course CGI characters vary on screen as well. Like background extras and/or stunts and heros - there are lowpoly models for mass scenes and background for the CGI characters as well.

That is one of the many points I really don't like with the new path Lucas has chosen - he should have designed the costumes to work as a real worn costume as well. Well just my gripes....

But I stay to my words - either I get it 85% as close as on screen or I drop it. this applies only to formal look. For examplke the pouches will be of fabric and look like fabric - not like the pouches in CG which could be solid but soft as well going by the screen. Things like that you have to alter and actually it is even better than CG then.

I like to improve things to look more real - that is what I do with all my costumes.

Well put. I always love to improve on screen stuff. I've costumed a fan film or two and you don't have to have as good of quality to make it look good on screen, but up close and in person you really have to have it right or it looks wrong. Also on screen there are variants like dirt, wet or dry, blood, or other things that change the appearance of materials.

The most important thing is whether it is recognizably the element that fans can identify. That is the magic.

• 2 weeks later...
May I also interject just one more observation? 99.9% of all the clones, stormtroopers, BARCs, scouts, etc. were digitally created. Artist creations to Lucas's specifications.

So getting it right is even more of a challenge because:

1) You have the program renderings which on some occations varied right in the same scene.

2) You don't have exact items that are purchasable, so modifications must be done to nearly every item purchased to create the look.

3) Depending on the quality and settings of what you are reviewing your images on (i.e. computer, DVD player, television etc.) The colors, details, and appearance of items will be varied.

I guess my question is, "Can you really get an absolute 'cannon' rendition of an item? Or is that something that the larger part of the collective votes on due to general concensus?"

I agree completely I sculpted the BARC helmet off of CGI pics and guess what ?!?!

If I didn't try to alter "ever so slightly" the visor and forehead area of the sculpt, a normal "for real" person couldn't see out of it. Look closely at the barc helmet CG's they (BARCS) dont have foreheads LOL :blink:

Anyway CG images are difficult to sculpt from and with very few images, it's even worse.....

The battle should have been longer IMO - too short for such an epic battle. :D

Plus more pics for us...

• 10 years later...