Hip Armour information Updated 22/03/17

501st member Sean Chun Tie has made this stencil and is happy to share , it has now been updated

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx1wZrZy9OqSdFFOTXFqbm45elU/view?usp=sharing

This update will now give this better fit and look.

Print out then cut out the stencil

605755_CA-8876-41_BA-_B1_D4-72_FB79_D5_E963.jpg

Then place onto the plastezote and cut out

Try on and adjust waist size by lengthing or shorting waist only where necessary , once happy place onto your foam and mark

Then go back to the stencil and cut out the armour parts

2_F3_AEC67-_A3_A0-4_C28-871_A-_BA50197_AE230.jpgimage hosting without registration

Then cut out the ABS to armourer stencil shape and glue into the plastezote

Then cut out your ABS sheets using stencil and stick to your foam

AC4_CADF2-_E454-4_EDC-_B0_D3-600_A67_F09_E2_A.jpg

Before painting use a heat gun to gentle heat up the ABS and bend the armourer so it goes around the thigh.

Then paint and weather

6_BFD9166-4612-4190-_B0_E6-_CBC89_B7_D913_B.jpg

This will give you the correct look

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

It comes 100% scaled , however once you have the template you will need to adjust the length by extending or shortening for your own waist size. Also make sure you measure the waist size with your body armour fitted ;)

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing, I'm going to need this!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...
3 hours ago, Jester736 said:

I'm trying to open the file, but it says that I don't have access and need to request it. I placed a request for access to the file, but haven't heard back. Does anyone still have access to these files that can share them?

Hey

I made an updated version of the template to make it a little more accurate.  Shoot me a PM with your email address and I'll send it to you!

Here's a dropbox link if anyone is looking for it.  It's basically Sean's template with some slightly different proportions

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v388aa09ix83u50/ST_hip_armor_template_remix.pdf?dl=0

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, SimpleJedi said:

This looks amazing! I have questions.

- is this still accurate?

- what set of armour is this based off? Asking because it says to cut and add your armour pieces to it. 
- how thick os the foam?

Yeah pretty close I'd say!

The hip armor is a piece of foam with plastic on portions of it.  Most of us just use ABS plastic signs (like "For Rent" signs you can buy at the hardware store) to make the hard armor parts

I used 1/4 inch neoprene foam for mine.  Some people use EVA foam.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BikerScout007 said:

Yeah pretty close I'd say!

The hip armor is a piece of foam with plastic on portions of it.  Most of us just use ABS plastic signs (like "For Rent" signs you can buy at the hardware store) to make the hard armor parts

I used 1/4 inch neoprene foam for mine.  Some people use EVA foam.  

How thin is the plastic part?

35 minutes ago, SimpleJedi said:

How thin is the plastic part?

The thickness of a "For Rent" sign should be fine.  It's just glued onto the foam.  You don't want something thick or the hip armor won't flex

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SimpleJedi said:

On the fence - some people are telling me its not accurate

Are some people the Detachment leader of the Pathfinders who was approved with this hip armor pattern?  :D  

• Haha 1

Okay now that I'm sitting at my PC I will elaborate on my answer a little bit

I'm guessing you were told that the only accurate hip armor out there is made by Mr Paul and therefore that's the one you should get.  Paul's hip armor is very accurate -- I myself own a set -- but it's not true that it's the only one that's approvable

Most Shoretroopers I would guess were approved using hip armor they made themselves using Seantrooper's original pattern.  It's pretty simple:  you size it to your body, print it out, trace it on some foam and then cut.  Then you add the armor plates (made out of ABS like I said above) and then paint.  I myself did this when I first got approved and I believe it set me back all of about $20 for materials and paint.   Was it hyper accurate?  No.  But it was absolutely approvable.  

I am an accuracy guy and I wanted a better set -- so I reached out to Paul to find out how much his were.   With shipping from the UK, it was going to cost about $210.  Which is a lot more than $20!

So I made the remixed pattern I posted above, based on studies I made of screen used Shoretrooper armors.  I was about to make myself a new set when I saw someone was selling a set of Paul's hip armor they purchased but never used for $150 and I jumped on it.  So now I have a set of Paul's.  

Like I said, I'm an accuracy guy so I totally get the desire to be as close to screen used as possible.  But there are plenty of close enough ways of getting approved as a Shoretrooper that don't involve spending top dollar for parts.  It's just whatever is important to you.   Will you get approved making your own hip armor?  Yup.  Can you get Level 2 with it?  Also yup.

Also bear in mind, Paul's stuff is made for folks that were about the same size as the troopers in the film.  If you are bigger or smaller than the average Rogue One stunt actor, you might run into a sizing issue with his hip armor.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BikerScout007 said:

Okay now that I'm sitting at my PC I will elaborate on my answer a little bit

I'm guessing you were told that the only accurate hip armor out there is made by Mr Paul and therefore that's the one you should get.  Paul's hip armor is very accurate -- I myself own a set -- but it's not true that it's the only one that's approvable

Most Shoretroopers I would guess were approved using hip armor they made themselves using Seantrooper's original pattern.  It's pretty simple:  you size it to your body, print it out, trace it on some foam and then cut.  Then you add the armor plates (made out of ABS like I said above) and then paint.  I myself did this when I first got approved and I believe it set me back all of about $20 for materials and paint.   Was it hyper accurate?  No.  But it was absolutely approvable.  

I am an accuracy guy and I wanted a better set -- so I reached out to Paul to find out how much his were.   With shipping from the UK, it was going to cost about $210.  Which is a lot more than $20!

So I made the remixed pattern I posted above, based on studies I made of screen used Shoretrooper armors.  I was about to make myself a new set when I saw someone was selling a set of Paul's hip armor they purchased but never used for $150 and I jumped on it.  So now I have a set of Paul's.  

Like I said, I'm an accuracy guy so I totally get the desire to be as close to screen used as possible.  But there are plenty of close enough ways of getting approved as a Shoretrooper that don't involve spending top dollar for parts.  It's just whatever is important to you.   Will you get approved making your own hip armor?  Yup.  Can you get Level 2 with it?  Also yup.

Also bear in mind, Paul's stuff is made for folks that were about the same size as the troopers in the film.  If you are bigger or smaller than the average Rogue One stunt actor, you might run into a sizing issue with his hip armor.  

Greatly appreciate all the info. This helps a lot and your right… it is expensive. Due to that freak storm which hot my town, I’m broke. This template looks perfect.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hey guys :) finally found this thread after getting the requests for share since google broke the link.

Here's the new updated link, and also special thanks to the kind comments and everyone using the template :)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx1wZrZy9OqSdFFOTXFqbm45elU/view?usp=drivesdk&resourcekey=0-_mTAHAQe36Nl2b0FACHEnQ

• 8 months later...

Im gonna ask a really dumb question, but do i just go to the link and hit print? or is there something else I need to do when printing this out to make sure I get what i need. when i go to print it says its just 1 page and that makes no sense. Any help would be great!

You want to print it at 100% and it should span multiple pages. When I made mine, I printed it at 100%, cut and taped the template, and did a test fit. I know I printed it a bit bigger to stay in proportion.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Gree23 said:

Ok so it printed out over 10 pages. does that sound right?

I think so?  You should now tape them all together, cut out the blank spaces and then do a test fitting.  You may need to make adjustments.