Type of Glue?

Good afternoon all!

I'm ready to rock and roll on cutting and shaping the armor. Step 1 is buying the misc supplies that I need to do that.

On the tutorial thread, it says we need glue. Is any one type better than another?

I see on Ferra's that he used a lot of fiberglass instead of glue. Do y'all have a strong opinion on one method over the other to join pieces?

thanks!!

TXBolt

E6000 is the glue of choice for most. It's very forgiving and allows you to readjust parts if needed due to the longer cure time. Might also want to add some clamps as well to hold the parts while gluing.

E6000!

I mostly used Nural 25, cures in 5min and you're ready to go to another part...

• Like 1

E6000. Long cure time, but gives you plenty of room for adjustment before it sets up, and super easy clean up.

I recently found that it comes in black and white as well as clear. Used the black on my TIE pilot.

Just make sure to follow the directions: apply to both pieces to be joined, let it tack up, and clamp for 24 hours. Resist the urge to "check it". A light scuff sanding before you put the glue on gives the pieces some tooth and will result in a better bond.

For the shins and biceps, I used a plastic model glue from Hobby Lobby.

It works pretty well. It doesn't take much to make it hold.

(Plus, clamps and time & patience.) And E-6000 is always good to use on other parts.

Extreme%20power%20thick%202_zpses6oimid.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Check the warnings on the E6000 too. Terrible stuff to be breathing in. Not a joke when they say use in well ventilated areas.

The stuff really does its job though. If you decide you want/need to take something apart later, with some work you'll get it apart. It definitely will hold though if you leave it alone and wait overnight.

19b646ac9edb5aa613537293e40351c0.png

Dont leave home without it. Or hobby lobby should I say. And when I run out, I always get more. Never know when you will have a repair needed after a troop.

Check the warnings on the E6000 too. Terrible stuff to be breathing in. Not a joke when they say use in well ventilated areas.

The stuff really does its job though. If you decide you want/need to take something apart later, with some work you'll get it apart. It definitely will hold though if you leave it alone and wait overnight.

No PPE, I like to live dangerously.