MLC helmet.. What now?

So my MLC just came in! Early too! Question is, what now? I have ordered some trooper bay decals, but what else does it need? It comes with the glue on snout greeblie, but no riser plate. Good source for a replacement that fits? Also, recommendations for painting that will give it that bright white shine?

Thanks!

c8PE05K.jpg

If you don't mind me asking, how long did it take for it to arrive after you ordered / paid for it?

I think I ordered in May? Was quoted 16-20 weeks, got here yesterday. Also ordered a belt with it. In the time frame quoted it should of arrived in September, but here it a month early! Very surprised! Might be a gamble from order to order though given their recent backlog....

So I found the headband and 3m bolts on eBay the other night... They just arrived only to find that the bolts don't look correct.... The opposite of the pictures used.... Do they just need to be painted or is it basically junk?...

SKPKFCk.jpg

n8zhcCz.jpg

You got the 'ol 3M switch-a-roo. They basically discontinued the gray version and started sending the version in black, same part number and all. I believe it was about 2-3 years ago. Kev from KWDesigns may still have some of the gray bolts.

http://forum.bikerscout.net/index.php?showtopic=10270&hl=&fromsearch=1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, ive got all my parts now. Time to assemble!

Does anybody have painting tips? preperation, what paint to use, etc? any and all help in this department would be greatly appreciated. Goal is to come close to ABS matching

Um, nope. It's right here! --> http://forum.bikersc...showtopic=11862

well shoot, I hunted for 15 min searching for that.....thanks man!

Awesome! Should be helpful. Did yours come painted or did you paint the white?

If you painted, what brand/ how many coats?

I ordered mine prepainted so I didnt have to mess with it

Guest Forrest Patrol

For most plastic, use a primer (unless its already primed), then sand down a little if needed, then gloss bright white. Spray brand depends on what you can afford after buying a MLC :lol:. Also talk to a car spray painter first, they should have some good tips.

Well I went ahead and went all in. Went to a local auto store and picked up the whitest whit I could find. Then set to spraying. A good number of coats later, this is where I'm at. Possibly finished the dome. Color is pretty close, but looks darker under interior lights. I think once I throw a clear coat on, it will really help. Anyone agree?

D51GKzC.jpg

ZA66usR.jpg

• 4 months later...

When I built my stormtrooper, I primed and filled it myself using a primer from my local auto store (halfords bumper paint for those in the UK)

Then I took it to my local smart repair place (car body shop) and got them to spray it. I had about 30 whites to choose from, they did an amazing job (used bumper paint obviously) and best of all? They were so excited by spraying a storm trooper helmet I didn't get charged.