Spookys MLC v3 Helmet "build"

Okay, been doing a little bit by little bit putting my helmet together so I thought I'd make my own thread.

image.jpg

first thing I did was to put the chin strap in. I went to Joanns Fabrics and got some 1" black elastic band and some self adhesive industrial hold velcro. I bought 2" wide velcro and cut it in 1" strips and applied the velcro inside the helmet between the strap slots and then applied the other part of the velcro to the strap and then just velcroed the strap to the helmet

image.jpg

After getting the chin cup/strap on I put on the trap decals...

image.jpg

I'm happy with the traps, not horrible.

Next I applied the barcode..........sigh

I'm not too happy with them, I got them up too high....not sure theres anything I can do about it now though.

image.jpg

I'm not entirely sure that the barcode is too high.

Check out the original.

http://starwarshelmets.com/star_wars_helmets_review_original_jedi_biker_scout_trooper_helmet.htm

Yes, I think the barcode decals may well be a little too long, and the indents on the back of the MLC lid a fraction too low, giving the height mis-match, but I think the bottoms of his barcode decals are in the right place.

If he puts them much lower, they're going to be going 'under' the bulge, and that, apart from being in the wrong place, would be a nightmare to get right.

Good job!!! The barcode too high. Maybe you can remove carefully and apply again. Are independent bars decals?

i dont think so, its trooperbay's decals, i suppose they might be removed one at a time (if you can remove them with out damaging the helmet) but i doubt they could be reapplied. of course some one else who's worked with this type of rub-on decal would know better.

I'm not entirely sure that the barcode is too high.

Check out the original.

http://starwarshelme...oper_helmet.htm

Yes, I think the barcode decals may well be a little too long, and the indents on the back of the MLC lid a fraction too low, giving the height mis-match, but I think the bottoms of his barcode decals are in the right place.

If he puts them much lower, they're going to be going 'under' the bulge, and that, apart from being in the wrong place, would be a nightmare to get right.

from what I've read and seen, the barcode should start at the same level as the vents, is that wrong? I'm really only unhappy with the last 7 bars, that seems to be where it went wonky....

does anyone know if they can be removed and maybe get another set of JUST the barcode from trooperbay?

Are too high respect the indents. They should be at the same level or closest. And I'm agree with chef respect the barcode decals are in the right place.

The last 9 bars decals looks like are not in a straigh line, are in a curve ascendant.

Next time apply first from the indents side, and close to the line, but not in the same line, because are a little low.

Anyway helmet looks good and you can fix this detail in the future. :duim:

argh.....okay, I was working on forming the visor and the hair dryer just isnt heating up the Trooperbay visor enough to make it pliable, so, do I NEED a heat gun for this because I dont really know where to go from here. The visor was very hot but never reached pliable, wouldnt hold the curve at all and went right back to flat when I released pressure after cooling......

Maybe the surface when you are applying the silicone is dirty, clean it. Also when you apply the hot glue you need wait at least 2-3 minutes pressuring the lenses. And apply a second coat to assure the lenses.

Like Christian says...

If it's anything like the welding shields that I use, you need to hold them in place whilst you blob some hot glue in the nose section.

Press it into shape in the helmet and glue in the nose section.

Hold it there until the glue has completely dried. You will convulse in agony as your finger/thumb get severe cramps whilst the glue dries, but that's the price you pay.

When that first bit is dry and it's holding it's shape, whack some more glue around the rest of it to complete the job.

I cleaned the DVH snout piece with detergent to remove any residue that was on it, let it air dry for a few days and today I go out side ready to paint it, all happy and everything, I hit it with a coat of paint and these little black dots are every-freekin-where on this thing, it's pin-hole city! WTH??

this helmet when/if finished is either going to be very nice and something that I can be proud of, or a $450 POS that mocks me every day I look at it.......

Sigh..........

image.jpg

image.jpg

And so after very carefully masking my snout, doing it twice, double checking it, applying a base white coat to seal the edges and then lightly spraying 2 coats of satan black,

image.jpg

I got this................mess........

image.jpg

I dont even know how to fix this.......maybe I can get a fine tipped brush and try to clean up the edges with some white....

Okay, I turned the oven on 300 degrees and put two small bowls in there and bridged the bowels with the lens material from TrooperBay. I kept an eye on it, checked it every few seconds and when it started to droop between the two bowels I took it out (with an oven mitt) and laid it into the face of the helmet then applied pressure holding it down, then when it cooled, I hot glued it into place.

image.jpg

Great work and you have learned some valuable lessons that will help later on.

For the snout, I use the Darth Voorhee's snout for all my scout lids. It is one of the best. Most resin based casts will require a little cleaning. I have found that dish soap works really good to remove the excess resin/residue. I think that's what is causing your pinhole issue. Once that is done, I then hit it with Krylon flat grey primer and then brush the satin black over the aerator.

yes, I used dish detergent to clean it up, just seems theres a bunch of pin holes in it (its a DVH) but, I found if I cake on the paint it fills most of them up pretty well with out losing much detail.....I would have prepped it better if I had been able to see the holes but being a black cast I never saw them.....