3D printed DC-15a

Bally

I've put this on the CTN forums but since it's actually for my KT it's more relevant here. 3D models are from Cmdrappo over there.

I found out that the guys upstairs at work have a new 3D printer so I got myself some material and got to work. At the recommendation of one of the engineers that use it, I'm using PLA to see how it goes. It's not on the finest setting to save time but it looks pretty good to me so far on the small pieces that have been done and the layering should sand out very easily. Any imperfections are due to issues with the machine. The edges have come up very sharp and even the hole in the back of the trigger for the spring is very defined.

20150720_150847.jpg

Still clearing out the supports from the recess in the large end of the scope so won't bother showing that.

20150721_1657502.jpg

...I got some mates with a 3D printer... How would one aquire the files?

That looks good for a filament printer! PLA in my opinion for those types of printers yield the best results, ABS typically requires a lot more of a controlled environment due to the nature of the material.

...I got some mates with a 3D printer... How would one aquire the files?

There is a lot available from 3D pinting/design hosting sites. Just google "3D printed ???" and you'll find them. There are also people around the various 501st Detachments that have designed their own. I got the one that I'm using from here.

That looks good for a filament printer! PLA in my opinion for those types of printers yield the best results, ABS typically requires a lot more of a controlled environment due to the nature of the material.

That's pretty much what the engineer that's looking after it said, i.e.- that PLA handles the heat a lot better. They found with ABS they had to use a piece of cardboard to block the open side of the machine so it didn't get any airflow through it, as well as use the heated bed, or it tended to warp or curl up. My only concern with the PLA is it's strength. I'm thinking for the larger pieces, once they're cleaned up, to make some molds for resin casting, however I've never used resin and will be learning from scratch.

Rear of the receiver and "bit that sits on top" done.

20150724_1302102.jpg

20150724_1302522.jpg

Leaving the butt to run over the weekend. 5 hours down, 53 to go.

20150724_1338132.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

After having 2 cracks at the butt which both stuffed up due to filament jamming, the guy at work with the CNC machine gave it a go.

20150818_134757_2.jpg

20150818_134837_2.jpg

Obviously it's done in 2 halves and still needs some tidying up. For some reason the groove that should be in the front end isn't there (might be a CNC issue) and there's a weird groove that's been taken out of one side at the rear. Nothing that can't be solved with some putty though.

Nice! We need more updates like this bro!

• 3 weeks later...

Well I've managed to get a few more pieces printed but have been told I can't use the printer anymore, even though I'm using my own material.

Pistol grip, lower rail and rear sight pieces.

2015-09-09%2008.09.46.jpg

And yeah, as per the WoF plans, that pistol grip is huge. Here it is in my carny sized hand for comparison.

2015-09-09%2008.10.25.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

It's been a while but there has been SOME progress.  I started printing parts again earlier this year and had gotten most of it done before the kybosh was put on it again.  The barrel segments are a lot of printing so as an alternative I'm using PVC pipe.  The only issue is none have the exact outer-diameter I need, so I did some 2(pi)r and cut out a section of a larger pipe and am going to use this as the remainder of the barrel.  This in turn creates it's own problems of fitting the subsequent barrel inner/insert into the receiver and the barrel but I'm hoping some expanding filler will be my saviour.

I've also ordered my own 3D printer so I'll be able to print the last couple of parts I need, e.g.- muzzle.  (I didn't have the timber butt with me for the photos, and sorry the lighting in this crappy room is pretty bad).  Obviously I still have a lot of sanding to do, but other than that the parts match up like a big lego scene.

20160419_194844-2.jpg

20160419_195406-2.jpg

20160419_195413-2.jpg

20160419_195419-2.jpg

20160419_195441-2.jpg

20160419_195450-2.jpg

20160419_195457-2.jpg

Brother may I suggest you don´t glue all the parts right away?

Would you consider casting those and make a full kit? Do you think it would be affordable/Resistant like that?

Cause i'm doing a '15S but my heart belongs to the '15A, and a Woodchuck's would put a huge dent in my wallet...

Brother may I suggest you don´t glue all the parts right away?

Would you consider casting those and make a full kit? Do you think it would be affordable/Resistant like that?

Cause i'm doing a '15S but my heart belongs to the '15A, and a Woodchuck's would put a huge dent in my wallet...

To be quite honest this was my intention at the start but it's taken so long I just want to get the thing together right now.

Because of the complexity of the thing it would end up needing to be a hybrid anyway. The main barrel parts you could assemble and rotocast so it's hollow. Same with the butt. The receiver and pistolgrip would be pretty difficult if not impossible to cast from what I can see, due to the number of hollow areas, 'through and through' sections and the way it's designed for a moveable trigger and possibly electronics. So you'd probably end up having to print them as required.

I've printed the last pieces of this now and have started printing a DC-15S, but in ABS instead of PLA. I'm having the standard ABS warping issues at the moment though.

• Like 1

I was wondering if you got anywhere further with this, it's looking good! You got an idea how much filament it took ya?

The muzzle was pretty much the last thing I needed to do. It was one of my first prints on my new machine in ABS and it's got a bit of delamination in some layers. It's not a biggie though because most of it will be concealed and I'll just use some sludge on what won't. Other than that, due to one crappy layer in the receiver which led to it splitting while I was sanding it, I'll probably end up reprinting it too. Just got to sort out the ABS warping first. I'm using small parts of the DC-15S to trouble-shoot this.

As far as how much filament? It's hard to say because I changed suppliers part way through it and have had a few partial prints wasted along the way. Ballpark... About 1 kg or so.. But that's based on what's left of 3 different spools.

The muzzle was pretty much the last thing I needed to do. It was one of my first prints on my new machine in ABS and it's got a bit of delamination in some layers. It's not a biggie though because most of it will be concealed and I'll just use some sludge on what won't. Other than that, due to one crappy layer in the receiver which led to it splitting while I was sanding it, I'll probably end up reprinting it too. Just got to sort out the ABS warping first. I'm using small parts of the DC-15S to trouble-shoot this.

As far as how much filament? It's hard to say because I changed suppliers part way through it and have had a few partial prints wasted along the way. Ballpark... About 1 kg or so.. But that's based on what's left of 3 different spools.

~1kg is pretty good for something that size! Of course that doesn't include the milled stock and few other parts not entirely 3d printed.

• 3 weeks later...

I did some more 2(pi)r on a length of PVC pipe for the barrel inner and had the expected issue with the difference between its outer diameter and the barrel section inner diameter. I came up with what I think is a pretty simple solution and printed some rings that fill the required gap and keep the pipes at the right diameters.

20160530_162736.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I've been working on the electronics (arduino based) for this and a couple of Cmdrappo designed DC-15S while I plod along on my Kashyyyk Trooper build. My plan was originally to have a 10 segment blue led bar mounted on the rear side of the rear sight and have it count down as ammunition is used, similar to the DC-17M electronics some may have seen. However when I received them they were a bit smaller than I expected and I think they'd look a bit silly there, so I've carved out a hole in the rear side of the magazine for the led bar and will use a 9 pin serial port (same as the DC-17M I think) to provide power to the led bar and controller chip and also detect when the magazine is not on the weapon. I've also put 2.5mm magnets into the holes for them on the magazine and magazine port.

20160927_205546.jpg

20160927_205531.jpg

20160927_205433.jpg

20160927_205446.jpg

Although I have the butt done in timber, now that I have my own printer I've split it into 3 pieces (for risk management in case it c%*ps out half way through the print) and am printing those.