EFX Scout Trooper helmet -update

My top exactly.

i also used to own a KS, but it is lower than top 5, maybe even out of top 10 unless modded

Nice! Years ago I ordered the Creative Studios lid kit.

It was WAAAY to small for my noggin and I was also not happy with the details so I sent it back.

\m/

• Like 1

EZ...

#1: RS

#2: LW

#3: eFX

#4: Altmann* (*I will always love these lids)

#5: .........

KS, SC, Mons, WTF, etc... I have not seen, held or built.

Mardon (MLC) made great lids before all of these BTW!

\m/

Yep this nails it for me too. The EFX is a crushing disappointment since was clearly rushed out by EFX as they had Disney on their backs. The problems you see now are the same ones they had four years ago.

I don’t have a Lone Wolf (although have heard great things) but the RS PropMasters I have is incredibly, and save for a slightly different hard hat liner is almost indistinguishable from the screen-used helmet I reviewed a few years back.

I also have an Altmann's I bought over ten years ago - which still holds up extremely well and is a great trooping helmet - though suffers just a little in the accuracy department. I too haven’t handled any of the others either (except the Don Post!) so cant comment on any of those - but I’m sure they’d give the EFX a run for its money!

However, if someone had told you four years ago that the EFX would only be vying for 3rd/4th best Scout helmet you wouldn’t have believed them. It just shows how the once-mighty EFX has fallen.

Thanks for the kind comments about my site

Cheers

Jez

StarWarsHelmets.com

• Like 1

Like Constantin has wrote is the black padding also (from my view) the big problem that the jaw doesn't close really well....and of course the thickness of the material.

That was clearly a thinking error in the production--->>

39965289490_4e6eea619c_o.jpg

The red circle areas show the problem why the jaw doesn't really close.

Good point.

IMO what happened here is that the helmet we have now is Exactly the same as the first prototype EFX made over four years ago. They realised they had problems with the difference in materials, its impact on the pivot and the opening/closing etc - so they just put it to one side so they could concentrate on more fun projects (cus trawling around the archives and then making casts and one off prototypes is always more fun, right?)

So they delayed, one factory went bust, whatever until a load of pesky disgruntled customers contacted Disney - who then promptly asked EFX "wtf guys". So EFX then digs out the shitty prototype moulds and starts production - and I’m sure showed the Licensing team some neat PowerPoint slides on how great the Legend was going to be (spoiler: it’s not, it’s going to be the same as this - imagine a scout version of the PCR Stormtrooper helmet, only $900!).

Then cue the ex EFX employees and shills keeping a face Kellyanne Conway would be proud of, telling everyone what a great job they’d done, Rinse and repeat in a year or so for the "Legend". We got duped!

Cheers

Jez

• Like 4

Good point.

IMO what happened here is that the helmet we have now is Exactly the same as the first prototype EFX made over four years ago. They realised they had problems with the difference in materials, its impact on the pivot and the opening/closing etc - so they just put it to one side so they could concentrate on more fun projects (cus trawling around the archives and then making casts and one off prototypes is always more fun, right?)

So they delayed, one factory went bust, whatever until a load of pesky disgruntled customers contacted Disney - who then promptly asked EFX "wtf guys". So EFX then digs out the shitty prototype moulds and starts production - and I’m sure showed the Licensing team some neat PowerPoint slides on how great the Legend was going to be (spoiler: it’s not, it’s going to be the same as this - imagine a scout version of the PCR Stormtrooper helmet, only $900!).

Then cue the ex EFX employees and shills keeping a face Kellyanne Conway would be proud of, telling everyone what a great job they’d done, Rinse and repeat in a year or so for the "Legend". We got duped!

Cheers

Jez

Best pic of you--->>

http://www.starwarshelmets.com/2018/SWH18_EFX_Limited_Scout45B.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol:

• Like 1

Good point.

Cheers

Jez

Thanks for chiming in, Jez. Really enjoyed your excellent review on this and other helmets!

Cheers

Jez's reviews are appreciated by people like us who understand why a helmet is like this. But on another board he and others who speak against EFX are targeted by EFX cheerleaders.

• Like 2

Thanks guys, yes unfortunately the downside in this hobby is that you occasionally come into contact with people who have clear certain "agenda's" (shills or otherwise).

For anyone still waiting for their Limited, or who have preordered the Legend - and you need the Licensing contact at Disney then please let me know. It clear to me that EFX can only motivated by pressure from Disney.

Cheers

Jez

• Like 5

Oh wow.

So, I decided to read a review of this helmet from yall, because I decided to ... you know .... start my quest to build my scout armor after buying said EFX scout trooper helmet.

Live and learn, I guess. I'll post further about it when I get it ... but I'm somewhat pessimistic already, and feeling like I made a beginner's mistake. I just figured buying something made from the original molds would be ... I don't know .... more accurate?

• Like 2

Amy, it's a perfectly reasonable assumption. Don't beat yourself up for it too much. ;)

At the very least, it'll make for a decent display helmet.

Or, you could sell it and get another helmet.

• Like 2

The good thing about licensed helmets is that they almost always sell for a good price. Lots of collectors that will only collect licensed items.

• Like 1

Oh wow.

So, I decided to read a review of this helmet from yall, because I decided to ... you know .... start my quest to build my scout armor after buying said EFX scout trooper helmet.

Live and learn, I guess. I'll post further about it when I get it ... but I'm somewhat pessimistic already, and feeling like I made a beginner's mistake. I just figured buying something made from the original molds would be ... I don't know .... more accurate?

Amy, as Andry has said it’s a decent enough display helmet which will most likely retain its value over time - and may even increase. However it absolutely couldn’t be used as part of a costume as the weight on the front is just too great

It’s certainly not something any of us could have reasonably predicted. Previous EFX have been on the whole excellent over the years. It’s just a shame they now seem to be going off the rails

Cheers

Jez

Live and learn, I guess. I'll post further about it when I get it ...

Hey Miska,

Sell it and buy an RS ;) - or - keep it and buy an RS :lol: !!!

Seriously though, for Trooping, you may want to consider a fan-made in case it runs into any trouble.

(although the really nice ones are still $$$)

Mine (Altmann's) would take a beating when I Tropped years ago. Even if I babied it, which I tried to do.

\m/

• Like 2

Thank you for the replies!

So, my EFX biker scout helmet got here today.it displays well. Im a pretty big star wars fan, so I'll keep it for that purpose alone. However as for actually using it ...

Yeah. it's definitely not going to fly. All the previous issues people mentioned (flaring jaw, gap at top, doesn't close flush,) are present on mine.

So I'll talk about what has been mentioned less. It's possible that these issues could be specific to mine.

Wearing it just won't work. It's extremely forward heavy for starters. so it's impossible for me to keep on properly to begin with, and as others said, its actually a bit heavy in general anyway, so long term use would be out of the question.

Something else I didn't think about though was the lenses. I assumed they would be tinted like in Return of the Jedi. You know, black and almost resembling a motorcycle cop's judgemental glare from behind unfeeling impenetrable lenses, right?

Well, they are tinted. But you can basically see right through them to look into the eyes of the person wearing it. it does display well since the liner inside is black. but if I could get past the fit issues, I think I'd still have to replace the lenses with a darker material.

Lastly ... I swear the three gray stripes above the lens is applied slightly askew.

So, Guess I'll go look up this RS helmet people keep mentioning!

Thank you for the replies!

So, my EFX biker scout helmet got here today.it displays well. Im a pretty big star wars fan, so I'll keep it for that purpose alone. However as for actually using it ...

Yeah. it's definitely not going to fly. All the previous issues people mentioned (flaring jaw, gap at top, doesn't close flush,) are present on mine.

So I'll talk about what has been mentioned less. It's possible that these issues could be specific to mine.

Wearing it just won't work. It's extremely forward heavy for starters. so it's impossible for me to keep on properly to begin with, and as others said, its actually a bit heavy in general anyway, so long term use would be out of the question.

Something else I didn't think about though was the lenses. I assumed they would be tinted like in Return of the Jedi. You know, black and almost resembling a motorcycle cop's judgemental glare from behind unfeeling impenetrable lenses, right?

Well, they are tinted. But you can basically see right through them to look into the eyes of the person wearing it. it does display well since the liner inside is black. but if I could get past the fit issues, I think I'd still have to replace the lenses with a darker material.

Lastly ... I swear the three gray stripes above the lens is applied slightly askew.

So, Guess I'll go look up this RS helmet little keep mentioning!

Hi Amy, all good points.

Yeah the front-heavy thing is something I’ve tried to stress In my review's etc lest someone was considering it as a costuming piece - which it absolutely isn’t (but then understandably most people are wary of costuming with such an expensive lid I suppose).

Interesting what you say about the visor tint. In 'the good old days' of EFX I would’ve put this down to them precisely matching against the screen-used helmets. Now I’m not so sure and wonder if the China factory just bought whatever they could find!

Though I’ve handled original Scout helmets, I wasn’t able to compare side-by-side for my review but maybe in the future sometime

Anyway, you’ve got a good display piece - although I would absolutely recommend the RS over and above it if you can get one.

Cheers

Jez

EFX is no way good for trooping as being too heavy. It is way too heavy for its own acrylic stand - so I replaced it with a wooden model I have for all my fan made helmets. Next to the RS on display:

Comparison_EFX_RS_Scout_Trooper_Helmet.jpg

• 2 months later...