Another noob

Guest tribbleorlfl

Guest tribbleorlfl

Greetings, troopers. I joined this forum and have been scouring the build threads and resources because I've decided I want to join the 501st and take a shot at a KST armor.

I do have a few questions that I either can't find the answers to, or wanted to get a sampling of advice on.

1) While I've got some sculpting and cosplay experience, I've never attempted an armor build like this. How difficult would you all rate it? While KST armor has quite a few components, it doesn't seem as involved as other builds. The chest piece/tank and detailing of the bucket seems the most involved. What time commitment would be required compared to other builds?

2) This seems to have been a pretty popular build a couple years ago, but not so much now. The vendor page doesn't seem quite timely, and I'm having difficulty tracking down components. I've only found one kit available, on Amazon. Does anyone have some other current sources they can share?

3) I'm a pretty big guy (6'4") w/ a wide chest (52"), large head (size 7 3/4) and long legs (32" inseam). According to the vendor page, there are only 2 kits really available, with 1 not being produced anymore. As such, is there one kit that's more generous than the other? Should I have concerns of the armor and bucket fitting? Any other KST's w/ large frames that can provide me w/ their build experiences?

Thanks for everyone's guidance!

Greetings and welcome,

I have no other build to compare this to, as this was my first build as well. The guys here are always willing to help out when ever you need information. Right now the one kit is all that is available. I have a 48" chest and the back tank and chest pieces just fit around me, but you can easily just put extensions on the tabs that go under your arm. I believe I remember seeing a thread on that quite a while ago. I had to put some pretty good shims in the shin armor as my calves are weirdly large. I had to ah 3"4" to both inside and outside.

My hat size is 7 1/2 and I fit the bucket just fine.

Are you from Florida? Just asking, as the last two letters of your call sign.

I wouldn't worry about the build being too difficult if youre willing to take your time and do your research. This costume has a lot of parts and a complicated paintjob. My first build was a movie clone- also not recommended for a beginner but I took two years to do it and did lots of research and took my time learning the techniques. I took lots of tips and advice off of the forums (all of them because they all had something to offer- CTN, FISD, Whitearmor, BSN, Mercs, TDH, RPF, Man I spent hundreds of hours learning). There are lots of people here to help you when you need it, and on the other forums. There is only one kit in production now that I know of. My bro Jae is over 6`and its going well for him so I think it would fit you too. If the bucket doesn't slide on for you: you can do a face off mod. If parts don't fit you can mod them. Honesly- at six foot four you may have to mod anyones kit to a certain extent- no big deal-we mod stuff all the time. Time and effort and a basic kit are all that's required for any build. Best of luck to you in your decision!

Mike

• 1 month later...

This was my first build and I would say it was difficult for a beginner but really its all a learning curve.

I dont have anybody in my area to help with armor parties so if you have other members around you that will be a huge help, but we are here to help you as well.

and remember "Size matters not"