Suggestion for updated Kashyyyk Trooper CRL 2013

Grumpy

The following will have nothing to do with the 3-D renderings or any other type of "reference material" that is not what's seen in the movie.

All currently approved Kashyyyk Trooper do not have to worry about doing any changes.

501st Requirements for Kashyyyk Trooper approval...

http://www.501st.com...ashyyyk_trooper

The proposed idea would be what would be considered..."screen accurate."

First are the basic requirements. Following those will be the comparisons to those listed to achieve an advanced status.

Basic requirements that are currently stated with the following changes:

**Be aware that the phrase "As close as possible" will be used a few times, because it pertains to this area.**

1. Soft parts (Undersuit) - this would stay the same. This would stay the same due to availability of materials. If there is a camo undersuit that, when dyed dark brown, and it comes "as close as possible" then it could be accepted. Remember, it's availability. Not everybody can get the same camo suits.

2. Boots: Change from current "main body of boot: white" to "tan body with tan soles." And the boots could be any style that the owner can get that, when modified, will look "as close as possible" to the screen style. (Once again, availability of material.)

3. Gloves: Stay as is. (Grey knuckle pad, grey wrist strap.)

4. Elbow straps: Stay as is. (Two separate thin black rubber straps.)

5. Camo paint style: Same as current. This is where the phrase "As close to what's seen in the movie" applies. Not everybody will paint the same. So "as close as possible" should still stay as is.

6. Change color of riding patch from grey to tan (Oatmeal)

7. Cummerbund - Grey cummerbund with camo colored weathering. Change "Dark grey base with lighter grey vertical straps" to "Light grey with grey vertical straps." (Also with weathering.) It's the weathering that might cause some to say a tan cummerbund. The shade of grey coloring will depend on what type of material you use to make the cummerbund.

Now for the advanced status. This is still "screen accurate" like the above, but with more detailing to be dang near exactly what's in the movie.

1. Soft parts: British DPM pants and shirt. In my opinion (Others can agree or disagree) these have the closest pattern to what's seen in the movie. Still remove all unwanted pockets, and blah-blah. Dye dark brown with a touch of black to achieve the proper level of darkness.

2. Boots: Finding the boots that look exactly like the boots in the movie. They must have the same tread and sole as depicted in Ep. III.

The Kenneth Cole Pit Crew shoes seem to have been the closest. The same boots used for Jango Fett and Galactic Marines. Or Crow62 boots, if you are lucky enough to get them. (Still tan with tan soles)

3. Gloves: Same style with slight color changes. The knuckle pads and wrist strap would be a slight tan-grey color instead of just grey. (As pointed out by KWDesigns). Once again, open for debate, but this would be for the higher status, if wanted. After looking at picture after, those particular parts do appear to have a tan appearance to them.

Plus, the addition of the "buckle" on the wrist strap. (Also in the same tannish-grey color) Still open for comments, but it's for the higher status. Nobody says that you have to do it.

4. Elbow straps - One piece strap. Center of strap is black with two grey strips on the outside. There are screen shots from the movie in other threads. (Remember, this is just for the advanced status, not a requirement.)

5. Camo paint style: This should be really detailed to resemble what's seen in the movie. It would not use any "patterns" or what we all do now. Airbrushing (Or whatever style of painting you prefer) to get the blending, shading, weathering, and battle damage.

Like as stated before, all of the above suggestions are based on images from the movie, not the "3-D" renderings.

Hopefully these suggestions to the CRL changes will hopefully appeal to all. It incorporates the various color changes to be "screen accurate" and add the advanced status to achieve a more detailed costume.

Please post any input, comments, or concerns. That way, those that are currently in the middle of builds, will get the final CRL to go by, and not worry if they have to make changes based on our currently incomplete CRL.

The advanced status is only a suggestion, not a requirement.

So, only the Basic CRL suggestion is the main focus, which is still referring to "screen-accurate."

Holy cr@p Matt, brainstorming away are ya?

LoL I like your ideas man, it seems like a perfect compromise to everything to please most people.

What is this buckel your mentioning the gloves for the 41-elite?

Just for clarification we are keeping the cummerbund grey grey? (Didn't see it in your 41-elite requirements so I take that as being the same as the basic level)

I'd love to see a finished CRL up soon, and if not finished at least have some picture up for the basic level (most of you guys already have perfectly good armour to put in for reference pictures)

The "buckle" as it has been dubbed, is nothing spectacular. It's just a small piece of "material" that looks just like the wrist strap.

Kashyyk_Trooper_02_zpsece48a8e.jpg

Does that mean 2 tone bund mate? It's grey with lighter grey in ur wording?

Also boots should be off white or light tan as seems to be the concerns on the boot thread

Remove the buckle requirement on the glove? Evidence for that comes from 3d renders.

That buckle thing looks like a sewn in velcro patch if you ask me. Nothing more. Doesn't even have to be Velcro... just a sewn in detail bit on the end of a strap. Only said velcro because it aids sticking one bit to another.

Like I said...just suggestions.

Okay then, off-white or tan for the basic boot requirement.

How about just "grey" for the cummerbund. No "light" or "dark." Because not everbody will have the same material.

And still what about the multi-cam on the pouches? I do know of a few in current build that have their pouches already completed with multi-cam.

Plus, one of those also has a grey riding patch on the pants. And the pants are already completed, too.

I was just putting up ideas, not concrete CRL's.

So, what's going to happen with all of this, mate?

And...never really thought of velcro for the buckle, to make it an actual useable wrist strap. Not a bad idea. :)

It's not a flat colour on the bund. Be it shadow or lighting, it doesnt matter, it's 2 different shades. As it appears on screen. Whether dark/light grey or normal grey/light grey or light grey/even lighter grey, it's the 2 tone-ness that's key. Only IMO of course :)

Also if we do go for a higher accuracy, a should follow the other clone crls. The majority of which incorporate 3d render detail into their higher spec eg galactic marines, Bacara. With all due respect to marcel, he's worked on tb CRL. But this is essentially a clone CRL. Like the idea of right sole.

Again with clone CRL changes there was a grace period eg the big change with animated gear only having animated armour last year? The CRL can change, but it's only fair that people md build aren't left hanging by our, more or less arbitrary decisions.

Multicam - I think we leave as before, the CRL was left wide open before because of the inconsistency, both versions were in there.

The buckle detail is only seen on 3d renders. The strap yes. The Buckle no, afaik. So we prob don't need to include it in the basic requirements at all?

follow the other clone crls. The majority of which incorporate 3d render detail into their higher spec

There's the secrete answer to the question Ive been asking for so long ;)

Well I'm more at the start of build then the middle and will have a good lull at some point as well (leaving home for another 9 month course)

I'm doing most of the stuff that hasn't been brought up for change first that way when I do come back to finish I won't have to redo things.

Id suggest the based on the screen caps, the crls should keep the paint jobs flat (matte). Nothing on them looks the least bit shiny ( to me anyway). I think a decision will, at the end of the day, have to be made about the basic look of the paintjobs or we are going to looks awefully 2 tone. The screen just doest look like the 3d render troopers.

• 2 weeks later...

so any more information fellow Kashyyyks?

The proposed idea would be what would be considered..."screen accurate." for the basic requirements and 3D render additions for the higher clearance (as per other established clone CRLs)

First are the basic requirements. Following those will be the comparisons to those listed to achieve an advanced status.

Basic requirements that are currently stated with the following changes:

**Be aware that the phrase "As close as possible" will be used a few times, because it pertains to this area.**

1. Soft parts (Undersuit) - this would stay the same. This would stay the same due to availability of materials. If there is a camo undersuit that, when dyed dark brown, and it comes "as close as possible" then it could be accepted. Remember, it's availability. Not everybody can get the same camo suits.

2. Boots: Change from current "main body of boot: white" to "off white or light tan body with tan soles." And the boots could be any style that the owner can get that, when modified, will look "as close as possible" to the screen style. (Once again, availability of material.)

3. Gloves: Stay as is. (Grey knuckle pad, grey wrist strap - no need for buckle detail)

4. Elbow straps: if screen accuracy is what we want the it will have to be one piece strap. Centre of strap is black with two grey strips on the outside.

5. Camo paint style: Same as current. This is where the phrase "As close to what's seen in the movie" applies. Not everybody will paint the same. So "as close as possible" should still stay as is.

6. Change color of riding patch from grey to off-grey/tan (oatmeal)

7. Cummerbund - 2-tone grey cummerbund with camo colored weathering. Base is grey - 2-tone effect with either weathering or actual different coloured straps. Can accentuate with camo and mud weathering. The shade of grey coloring will depend on what type of material you use to make the cummerbund.

Now for the advanced status. This is still "screen accurate" like the above, but with more detailing to be dang near exactly what's in the movie.

1. Soft parts: British DPM pants and shirt. In my opinion (Others can agree or disagree) these have the closest pattern to what's seen in the movie. Still remove all unwanted pockets, and blah-blah. Dye dark brown with a touch of black to achieve the proper level of darkness.

2. Boots: Finding the boots that look exactly like the boots in the movie. They must have the same tread and sole as depicted in Ep. III. Actual shoe, replica or modded shoes base. As this is the higher clearance - we go with the 3D render colour of white.

3. Gloves: Same style with slight color changes. The knuckle pads and wrist strap would be a slight tan-grey color instead of just grey. (As pointed out by KWDesigns). Once again, open for debate, but this would be for the higher status, if wanted. After looking at picture after, those particular parts do appear to have a tan appearance to them.

Plus, the addition of the "buckle" on the wrist strap. (Also in the same tannish-grey color) Still open for comments, but it's for the higher status. Nobody says that you have to do it.

4. Elbow straps - based on the 3D render - its 2 separate grey straps (Remember, this is just for the advanced status, not a requirement).

5. Camo paint style: This should be really detailed to resemble what's seen in the movie. It would not use any "patterns" or what we all do now. Airbrushing (Or whatever style of painting you prefer) to get the blending, shading, weathering, and battle damage.

As with all clone CRLs (please check CRLs if you do not believe me eg Bacara, Galactic marines are the good examples) - the basic requirement is still based on images from the movie.

Please post any input, comments, or concerns. That way, those that are currently in the middle of builds, will get the final CRL to go by, and not worry if they have to make changes based on our currently incomplete CRL.

The advanced status is only a suggestion, not a requirement.

Wow, that stuff looked very familiar. :)

Looks good to me, Nate.

Do any of the CS of the Pathfinders have to give their "okay" on this?

What I mean, is...does there have to be a consensus among the staff for a finalization of the CRL?

Anyone else?

Agreements?

Disagreements?

We need to know what your thoughts are, fellow Kashyyykians! (Before this can be finalized as the Kashyyyk Trooper (BARC) CRL.) Whew! :blink:

There is no real consensus tbh. It set a precedence when I ran a consultation for the last crl. On ct.net, individual crl teams discussed the.costume, but final say was with that crl team to decide. The problem with crl a is that there will always be some who disagree with at least some part of it. Also, it's only a guideline, not the law.

3 issues

1. We still don't have blue rays screen caps

2. Do we really want 2 grades (and I think lvl 1 and lvl 2 designations rather than higher or lower grade is better as it eliminates the who is better element); or just the one based on screen look

3. More opinions pls

Also major thanks to grumpy for the work done.

Nate

Well I can look at gettig the Blue-Ray screen grabs tonight but I ran into an issue with the BR video I downloaded... VLC (I used for screenshots last time) doesn't seem to want to play the movie correctly, seems like it's in slow-mo and very choppy, plus not always showing a picture (90% of time the screen is black)

But it works in WMP no problem, only issue is I can't get the movie into slow-mo or take screen shots (no options on WMP for either)

I'll figure something out tonight and post my results later but I'm on nightshift this week so I don't know how quickly I will get things uploaded.

Allan - not critisng bro!

Tbh, I'm happy with the pics w have if everyone else is. If everyone else hates the 3d being used as a ref and only wants how it looked on screen, then I say we forget abt having 2 diff specs. I personally like the 3D appearance, but I've come from clone CRL teams.

Nate

ok based on the discussions here is the new CRL for the base costumes

MUST HAVE

* Comply with ALL CRL - BASE Must Have Requirements

* NO part of the Kashyyyk (Scout) Trooper uses any part of the Biker Scout costume. Biker Scout parts are NOT ACCEPTABLE for use on the Kashyyyk Trooper.

* Weathering is STRONGLY encouraged, layered or topical.

PAINT RECOMMENDATIONS - HARD ARMOUR

* Chrome undercoat or applied topically

* Krylon khaki tan for the base color/custom mix available - check with armourers for samples

* Polly scale, Panzer Olive green F505113/Humbrol no 78

* Tamiya Color, Flat Earth (brown) FX-52 item # 81359

* black/grey/white misting as appropriate

**** previously mentioned 'yellow' is NO LONGER part of the paint scheme ****

ARMOUR

* Chest plate

- 2 black straps connecting chest and back plates.

- flush join at the sides - THE OVERLAPPING DETAIL WAS ONLY SEEN ON 3D RENDERS

Back plate with tank.

- Tank and back plate must be one piece

- Tank must have top greeblie

- Tank top greeblie is BLACK

- Black detail stripe across the tank

* 2 shoulder bells

* 2 bicep pieces

- left bicep armor must have grey strap and specific greeb - all painted grey

- right bicep armor must have greeblies painted grey

* 2 forearm pieces

- with 2 straps for each piece of armor.

- straps are grey in colour

* Cod piece.

- triangular in shape

- covered in cloth and painted in camo pattern to match armour

* 2 pieces of knee armour

- specific black/dark grey straps for each piece of knee armour.

* 2 complete shin armor pieces that are seamless.

- 2 khaki or white belts on each shin

- Black buckle and a smaller clip on each belt.

* 2 pieces of boot armor

- 4 black rings , 2 for each boot.

- 1/2 inch "O" ring

HELMET

* Fan-made helmet

* visor with reflective green lens

* full set of greeblies - 2 breathers, triangle piece, five bar snout piece and visor bolts

* rectangular slot on the visor measuring 2.5 to 2.75 inches long and 0.75 inches wide - centred in the middle of the visor

* note on paint - the INSIDE of the visor is painted the same base colour as the armour NOT black

WEAPON

* DC-15 long or short rifle.

SOFT GOODS

* Jacket and pants or jumpsuit with the correct (or as close as possible camo.) Can be dyed DMP (british) desert camo. Dye them brown and black to get them close.

- Leg pouches measuring 7 inches by 5 inches with a biased cut flap on the outside

- placed in the correct position

- off-grey/tan or oatmeal riding patch on inner thigh made of leather or suede

* Cummerbund. No molle vest or variant.

- appearance of 2 tones, whether the effect is achieved with weathering or in actual actual construction

- appearance should suggest a darker base with lighter vertical stripes

- midsection belt that goes around the cummerbund.

- 2 vertical black stripes to go on cummerbund belt on the front

- 16 pouches of accepted size and shape (note different flap configurations)

+ 2 long front pouches

+ 2 small rectangle front pouches

+ 8 small side pouches

+ 2 long back pouches.

+ 2 large rectangle back pouches.

- pouches are either cloth covered and painted with a khaki base+camo pattern or covered with multi-cam cloth

* belt and buckle

- grey with black insets

- buckle - dark grey/gunmetal grey

* 2 drop boxes with 4 straps hung from belt and belt buckle

- are either cloth covered and painted with camo pattern or covered with multi-cam cloth

* gauntlet-style gloves

- black leather to the wrists and brown gauntlet sections

- 2 rubber greeblies (grey or taupe) on brown leather gauntlet part of the glove

- grey belt around the wrist

FOOTWEAR

* Boots.

- soles have SIMILIAR curved shape in between the heel and sole

- main body of boot is beige coloured - similar to Biege Desert Military Boots

- khaki or tan soles.

Required

* Balaclava to wear underneath helmet

MAY HAVE (Optional but acceptable)

* Binoculars, "Star Wars" style

Level II clearance ie 41st Elite Status

this is mostly similar to above, but incorporates the 3D render information

MUST HAVE

* Comply with ALL CRL - BASE Must Have Requirements

* NO part of the Kashyyyk (Scout) Trooper uses any part of the Biker Scout costume. Biker Scout parts are NOT ACCEPTABLE for use on the Kashyyyk Trooper.

* Weathering is STRONGLY encouraged, layered or topical.

PAINT RECOMMENDATIONS - HARD ARMOUR

* Chrome undercoat or applied topically

* Krylon khaki tan for the base color/custom mix available - check with armourers for samples

* Polly scale, Panzer Olive green F505113/Humbrol no 78

* Tamiya Color, Flat Earth (brown) FX-52 item # 81359

* black/grey/white misting as appropriate

**** previously mentioned 'yellow' is NO LONGER part of the paint scheme ****

ARMOUR

* Chest plate

- 2 black straps connecting chest and back plates.

- overlapping on the sides, back plate OVER the front

Back plate with tank.

- Tank and back plate must be one piece

- Tank must have top greeblie

- Tank top greeblie is BLACK

- Black detail stripe across the tank

* 2 shoulder bells

* 2 bicep pieces

- left bicep armor must have grey strap and specific greeb - all painted grey

- right bicep armor must have greeblies painted grey

* 2 forearm pieces

- with 2 separate grey straps for each piece of armor.

* Cod piece.

- triangular in shape

- covered in cloth and painted in camo pattern to match armour

* 2 pieces of knee armour

- specific black/dark grey straps for each piece of knee armour.

* 2 complete shin armor pieces that are seamless.

- 2 khaki or white belts on each shin

- Black buckle and a smaller clip on each belt.

* 2 pieces of boot armor

- 4 black rings , 2 for each boot.

- 1/2 inch "O" ring

HELMET

* Fan-made helmet

* visor with reflective green lens

* full set of greeblies - 2 breathers, triangle piece, five bar snout piece and visor bolts

* rectangular slot on the visor measuring 2.5 to 2.75 inches long and 0.75 inches wide - centred in the middle of the visor

* note on paint - the INSIDE of the visor is painted the same base colour as the armour NOT black

WEAPON

* DC-15 long or short rifle.

SOFT GOODS

* Jacket and pants or jumpsuit with the correct (or as close as possible camo.) Can be dyed DMP (british) desert camo. Dye them brown and black to get them close.

- Leg pouches measuring 7 inches by 5 inches with a biased cut flap on the outside

- placed in the correct position

- oatmeal riding patch on inner thigh made of leather or suede

* Cummerbund. No molle vest or variant.

- appearance of 2 tones, whether the effect is achieved with weathering or in actual construction

- appearance should suggest a darker base with lighter vertical stripes

- khaki/tan weathering encouraged

- midsection belt that goes around the cummerbund.

- 2 vertical black stripes to go on cummerbund belt on the front

- 16 pouches of accepted size and shape (note different flap configurations)

+ 2 long front pouches

+ 2 small rectangle front pouches

+ 8 small side pouches

+ 2 long back pouches.

+ 2 large rectangle back pouches.

- pouches are either cloth covered and painted with a khaki base+camo pattern or covered with multi-cam cloth

- appropriate weathering with white and/or grey

* belt and buckle

- grey with black insets

- buckle - dark grey/gunmetal grey

* 2 drop boxes with 4 straps hung from belt and belt buckle

- are either cloth covered and painted with a khaki base+camo pattern or covered with multi-cam cloth

* gauntlet-style gloves

- black leather to the wrists and brown gauntlet sections

- 2 rubber greeblies (taupe) on brown leather gauntlet part of the glove

- grey belt with buckle around the wrist

FOOTWEAR

* Boots.

- Body of boot is white

- khaki or tan soles.

- Soles need a curved shape in between the heel and sole as close to the KC Pit Crewe boot soles/replica/found item

Required

* Balaclava to wear underneath helmet

MAY HAVE (Optional but acceptable)

* Binoculars, "Star Wars" style

Id suggest the based on the screen caps, the crls should keep the paint jobs flat (matte). Nothing on them looks the least bit shiny ( to me anyway). I think a decision will, at the end of the day, have to be made about the basic look of the paintjobs or we are going to looks awefully 2 tone. The screen just doest look like the 3d render troopers.

The paint jobs are matte in color. The only thing "shiny" should be the reflective green lens in the helmet.

Not too much difference between the two variations.

Tread pattern on the boot, and side arch should be exactly like what's shown on screen for the Elite status. Yes, like the Crow or Pit Crew boots. That's the style they based the boots from.

And don't forget the little arch cutouts along the bottom of the sole, for the base requirements. They go around the boot. A dremmel works wonders on those. But, you'll get the good burnt rubber smell when doing that. :wacko:

Just sayin'....

so for the elite status - what if we change it to

* Boots.

- Body of boot is white

- khaki or tan soles.

- Soles modified to have arch and sole detail matching specific style of boot / accurate replica / actual found item

• 4 months later...

Im seeing if we can get this set in stone to be able to have a real CRL on the 501'st site.

Can we get his topic pinned?

I don't even know anymore...