4108's WIP

TK4108

Hi Everyone,

I'm beginning my KST build. Ski has been bugging me to get my WIP post started, so here it is. At the moment, I'm working on collecting all the bits and parts.

My armor just came in this week as did a great set of functional pouches from Grumpy. (Thanks Grumpy!!!) On da'bay I found a good deal on the boots. I've also picked a of the other little things, e.g. belts for the shins, sandpaper, bondo, primer, paint, monk's cloth for the cod piece, Velcro, brown dye, black dye, Dremel sanders, black tape for the tank, etc. I'm still waiting for my DPM's and few small Dremel sanding bits to come in.

I think there are just a few more things I need to get: gloves (Grumpy is working on them for me.), camo paint, reflective film for the lenses, padding for inside the shoulders, and the cloth/straps for the cummerbund. Well, I need a few more hours in the day too...

Once I get further along Ski has offered to help with the camo painting, so that we both match.

I guess I need to get cutting on the armor now. That does scare me a bit. I'm worried about getting the helmet opening big enough for my big head. The shins are also making me a little nervous. I want to be sure that I don't cut too much off, so that my foot won't fit through the opening. ;-)

Again, I wanted to thank everyone for all the help I've already received. I'll try not bug you with TOO many questions.

Cheers!

Matt

post-76305-0-02437600-1359909304_thumb.jpg

post-76305-0-21636200-1359909305_thumb.jpg

post-76305-0-95287400-1359909305_thumb.jpg

post-76305-0-42496200-1359909306_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hello!

I just finished most of sewing and dying of my shirt and trousers. What do you guys think? Should I go for another round of dying? These photos were taken in full sun light, so the color is a little light.

9HRkgrD.jpgT9gyHjN.jpg

I would like them a bit darker. I was using the washing machine method for dying. I left it unattended a little too long, so dye drained out before I wanted it to. :unsure:

I would go for a little darker - here are ours on a very rare sunny day in the UK. mines faded a bit too, unless your dye quality is better in the US!

kttwinsoutdoors1.jpg

the original just out of wash dye

BDUdyed01.jpg

I went back re-dyed everything with black. It came out a little darker than what I expected, but I like it. I took the photos in direct sunlight, but they still look a little different in person. (In person, the shirt and trousers match, even though they look a little different in the photos.) I think the Rit dark brown dye has a little bit of purple tint to it...

I just picked up some tan / oatmeal-like suede for the riding patch. I'll probably shorten the legs (and maybe the arms), so that I'll have less material to bunch up under the shin armor and gloves. Please note that I did scale down the thigh pouches just a little bit, since I'm vertically challenged. I should have just enough room for the hanging pouches.

I actually have been working on two uniforms at the same time. I'm going to use the second shirt for all my 501st patches. ;)

pB63ZWc.jpglpCWAbQ.jpg

Yep. The Rit Dark Brown will give a slight tint of purple. But, most of ours here in the U.S. seem to do that.

To me, it's no big concern. Looks good.