Pandatrooper's SC Biker Scout build

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, i'm attempting my first build as soon as my armour arrives (CC) and want to thank you for all the helpful tips and tricks you have provided. I'm sure i will refer to it! I am also a slim chap with 30" waist so the belt adjustment will be especially useful! Thank you and keep up the good work!

• 2 weeks later...

Completely just read through this WIP, and wow! I am impressed. By far, one of the nicest builds I've seen on here (I know this is an old topic, and I'm bumping it back to the top for myself, and other future scouts). Thank you for posting, I'm saving up for my SC armor, and will be using this as a reference guide to get lancer status on top of my approval.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks Panda. I'm a newbie whose been looking at BSN for a while now and almost everyone recommends checking this thread out - now that I've followed it, I can see why.

I've copied it all into the OneNote file I'm using to compile all of my reference material, so will use it a lot as I build.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I spent my morning reading this thread, since I'm heavily leaning towards the SC armor. This is seriously amazing work! thank you for taking the time to document the little details and how-to's!

• 2 months later...

Still 100% relevant. I was a bit intimidated and also short on time, I feel you on the kiddo portion so I've had ample time to look around and get my ducks in a line. Your tutorial has helped cure some of that "1st cut angst" and the detail you go into and why is phenomenal.

Thanks brethren.

Holster has cured. Here's the magnet housing inside the holster

8976370652_8fc6917b76_z.jpg

And the open side.

8976371320_a4eb27520f_z.jpg

I found that the magnets were actually too strong, making it slightly hard to remove the blaster. So I simply laid down a small strip of white sign vinyl over the magnets. This is actually good in that it just softens the contact of the trigger guard to the magnets, and it prevents the trigger guard from being scratched up.

8975180549_89fbc20049_z.jpg

Painted the trigger guard and countersunk bolts with black paint, and gave them a matte finish.

8975179779_a25b4cbe6d_z.jpg

I've also finished attaching the holster to the boot calf. I curved some pieces of ABS and riveted them inside the calf vinyl, but I also sandwiched in some 1.5" elastic that I sewed velcro on. This will brace the holster against my leg, and makes removing the hold out blaster super easy and is less wear and tear on the vinyl. *Note, I ran out of black thread and subbed in tan, that's why the stitching looks so gnarly. :)

I also added some foam padding to space out the holster from my leg, to somewhat center my leg in the boot and not make it look offset.

8975180163_7fe082523c_z.jpg

Hold out blaster is now super secure inside the holster. I might still trim the holster and pad the inside slightly so the blaster doesn't wobble inside. Regardless, the blaster does not fall out.

8975180957_cba07cbaa4_z.jpg

8975181341_eb9c4a5226_z.jpg

8975182021_296fcc8878_z.jpg

Boots are more or less complete. I just need to cut the soles, and paint the edge sole solid tan, and weather them.

8976374872_f971307e2a_z.jpg

Hi do you have any advice on heating the holster to reshape it. I've made a bit of a mess of mine.
  • Like 1

Most people tend to hold their gear gun too close and have it on too high of a heat. As more about general or convection heating rather than one spot. The plastic outside your heated area even an inch away is still "cold".

You want to warm and area at least 50% bigger than the area you want to reshape.

Bend it past the curve, more than what you want and then heat the plastic holding the gun tip 6" away and moving it in a consistent pattern. The plastic will start to feel soft and you will feel it bend. Only use the heat when you have reached the desired shape then cool the plastic under cold water or use compressed air.

If you've rippled the plastic it will not be salvageable. You have to buy a new piece. Its better to reshape it a few times to get it where you want rather than try to do it in one shot.

Good luck!

• Like 1

It's been a while since I've updated this build thread with new content. And I started it four years ago! That's what happens when Darth Real Life takes over. :)

But rest assured, some new stuff is coming.

Update: I finally finished my jumpsuit and added the suede inner thigh patches and thigh elastics.

I know there are a variety of patterns out there for the suede patches but I decided to make my own. I took a pair of old jeans that were worn out and had holes in them.

I used a sharpie pen and drew the shape of the thigh patch on the inner thigh, then cut out the shape to use as a template. *Sorry, no picture for that as I forgot to take it.

I then transferred the jean cutout onto a piece of cardboard (used a file folder) and created a template for the inner thigh patch.

Trace the pattern out onto the suede and cut around it, leaving about 3/4" excess. Cut out two of these. One will be sewn to the inner left leg and the other goes on the inner right leg.

28675989933_7f197d7524_b.jpg

Now you can sew the patches on right away if you wanted to. I wanted to make it look more finished, so I cut some darts out (wedge shaped cuts) along the outside edge of the patches and folded them along the outline. Then sewed these down and trimmed off the excess for a cleaner look. This is the backside so you won't see all these cuts.

28674286014_64d62a610a_b.jpg

Nice and clean, ready to be sewn to the inner thigh of the pants.

28675989693_a5eaa142fd_b.jpg

You can see that the inner patch perfectly conforms to the other leg of the jeans that I didn't cut up.

29188753042_eeefb1be52_b.jpg

I pinned the inner thigh patches into place, using 6-7 pins around the edges and sewed around the perimeter. This is easier if you rip the seam (take apart the stitches) on outside of the pant legs first. This is the outer vertical vertical seam of the pant legs.

After you are done all your sewing, you flip the pants inside out and sew up the outside seam to finish the pant portion of the jumpsuit.

28675851303_7e9de72748_b.jpg

In hindsight, I should have made the butt portion of the suede patch rounder and higher at the top. But I don't think this is a deal breaker as most of this is covered by the butt flap.

For the thigh elastics, I used 2" black fabric elastic. I pinned it in place where it sits, kind of mid thigh and about 1 1/4" below the belt boxes. I measured where the elastic sat on one leg, and copied the measurements to the other leg.

I used an X-acto blade to carefully cut the stitches on suede patch where the elastic would go underneath the patch. I tucked the elastic under the patch, marked the seam and then cut the elastic about 1/2" longer than that mark. Then I sewed over the suede patch seam thereby sewing the elastic in place.

To prevent the elastic from flopping around, I ran a very short stitch along the outer seam of the pant over the thigh elastic, just to hold it in place.

29296609435_25b2bafd86_b.jpg

Jumpsuit suede patches are now done!

• Like 1

Here's a preview for an armor weathering tutorial I am working on. Full video coming soon!

29188752302_127bc81101_b.jpg

28674285614_a362a2a6ba_b.jpg

29188752712_98ba29335b_b.jpg

28675989233_cb8905e7bb_b.jpg

28675988503_97528e4c28_b.jpg

So glad you're back at it again. Been following this thread to a T.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking forward to seeing exactly how you apply the paint to the helmet and armour. I saw your video where you stated you used burnt umber and black. Looking forward to seeing how it all goes on. I imagine this will be similar to how you did your Sandtrooper armour?

I'm sorry if you've covered this already, but have you done the Scout boots before? I have the Sideshow 1/6 Scout and Speeder bike, I want to make my boots match those that are on the Scout. Not really sure how to go about it? Have you done boots anywhere on here and would they be done in much the same way as other armour?

As always, thanks for your guidance and keep up the great build!

I hope you don't mind that I added your completed SC helmet build link off Youtube? I figured it would be ok, since you put it up on another thread here. It should be pinned for posterity and people need to see how nice a helmet can look when it's done right...imho that is.

Thanks Terry!