Pandatrooper's SC Biker Scout build

Finished the pouches. These are such an integral part of the costume and they took a long time to sew!

I used the original pattern on the forums here, as they have the seam around the whole front panel like movie pouches. http://forum.bikersc...llery&album=150

I scaled the pattern down slightly, so that it was 1" smaller in dimensions since I'm 5 foot 8 inches tall. I mocked up a set in the screen size and I just found them a tad big, so the scaled version fit me better. I am using off white duck cloth to match the other off white webbing etc. for Lancer spec.

Per Marcel's recommendation, I only used one layer of fabric for the body of the pouch, and double layer for the pouch flap. There are no visible exterior stitches, in particular the velcro seen here (only sewn to the inside of the pouch flap)

9004004535_94a4e74b55_z.jpg

I found this great material called "Heat Bond" which is an iron on interfacing that bonds fabric together. Here, I have ironed it on one side of the pouch flaps. I got the Heat bond that you don't sew through, so I left a gap for the pouch to fold over the front.

9004004035_197d642488_z.jpg

Here, I have sewn the 2 layers of fabric together for the pouch flap. Then I peeled off the paper for the heat Bond.

9005182622_bf81eb3be4_z.jpg

Then flip the pouch flap inside out, and iron it again. Now both panels of fabric are glued together (even behind the velcro). Nice and tight, and the pouch panel stays nice and flat. The pouch panel on the left is flipped inside out but not ironed yet, the right one needs to be flipped inside out.

9004004971_42c4a1f2cd_z.jpg

Completed pouch flaps with no visible seams.

9004006423_b954fbf60d_z.jpg

Here's the body of the pouch. I have already made the upper inside tabs (optional I believe) and the tab of fabric which will have velcro sewn on to attach the pouch to the cummerbund.

9004006905_1c7d2c5e26_z.jpg

All the separate pieces. The front panel has the loop velcro sewn on the bottom.

9005184004_4b644f7dbd_z.jpg

Completed pouch.

9005184396_362f0a96a0_z.jpg

I have inserted a set of these cool boxes from TB6782 / Lucas. http://forum.bikersc...ox&fromsearch=1

My pouches are slightly smaller, so I just trimmed about 1/2" off the top of the box. makes it easier to drop stuff in.

9004008267_32db8a48fa_z.jpg

Just working on some final rig straps for the cummerbund, glove mods, and some last minute tweaks to the SC helmet (non Lancer) and I will submit pics!

• Like 2

thing of beauty....i have a feeling i will cry when i start mine and it doesn't even come close to this. i tip my hat to you sir

Glad you like it. Don't be intimidated - Just start slow and simple, start with something like the biceps or the forearms and work your way up to more complex pieces. The biggest mistake I see beginners make is rushing into some part of the build without researching, and making a bold cut / trim when they're not sure they need to cut at all, and the cut is permanent or can't be repaired. Just take your time, don't rush it. :)

• Like 2

Small update and test.

Finished the bund velcro for the pouches, and I added some shoulder straps / suspenders. I also added some elastic straps with a snap / snap plate to the front chest armor. This keeps the armor from riding up over the bund, and it centers it perfectly over the bund.

Here, you can see the chest straps and the shoulder straps / suspenders

9091647306_9e60f7c2ed_z.jpg

Good photo of the internal harness system. You can see the T straps for the shoulders, the shoulder strap / suspenders, and the straps for the shoulder armor (wrapping around the bicep)

9091648122_79dcc0c1b9_z.jpg

First proper test fit on my duct tape mannequin which I made to my size, great for test fitting costumes.

9091648950_898261751e_z.jpg

• Like 1

I finished my gloves. I still think the SA gloves are way too wide / big and thick. They feel like oven mitts! So I modified them.

First, I flipped them inside out. I drew a line where I wanted to "take in" the sides. I actually took it in slightly more than this on the bottom of the glove, and made the opening slightly smaller by taking in the top as well.

9148176357_5536a27612_z.jpg

I tried to sew them initially with the liner still around the gauntlets, but it was too thick to sew so I cut them out and took them to a tailor friend who could sew leather. They took in the top and bottom edges and the shortened the cuff by 3/4".

9148175923_fcdd1dc617_z.jpg

Since I cut out the thick foamy liner, I am using some jogging glove liners instead. Less hot and more dexterity.

9150406656_b14cf12bb9_z.jpg

Here's a good comparison. The original unmodified SA glove is at the top (I have 2 pairs, so one set is not fully modded). The middle pair are my modified SA gloves with the foam liners removed, top and bottoms taken in and the cuff sewn 3/4" shorter. The bottom image is a photo of the real original Esprit gloves. You can see the details on the modified SA gloves are much closer than the stock ones. *Note, I cut out the stock SA glove pic to make them all line up at the tips of the fingers for better comparison.

9150471100_a6296dba3b_z.jpg

• Like 2

Hey Terry, I'm interested in applying your rare earth magnet ideas for my own holster and TD.

I found this site that sells them: http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=58750&cat=1,42363,42348 (not sure if its ok to post links...I will remove it if I'm not supposed to!), and there are several size options available. What size would work best for the holster and TD?

Any help would be appreciated!

I have braces on my bund too, so it doesn´t get under the breast armor - I just put some snaps on the bund and elastic bands over the shoulders.

Works fine and you can´t see the braces ... ;)

• 1 month later...

With your harness setup, how do the shoulder straps connect the front and back plates? Where did you put the snaps? Is the harness there so that the plate junctions are elevated over your shoulders?

I am seriously in awe of this build.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Love that you modified the gloves! I just got my SA gloves ordered, and I'm afraid they might be too big and bulky for my little girl hands. Lol! I'll see if I can do something similar to what you did. :)

Glad the glove mod is helpful.

Btw: this thread isn't dead, my newborn daughter takes up most of my time right now. The only major thing I have to do is sew the riding patch on and the whole costume is 501st approvable. Needs boot and helmet mods for Lancer. :)

• Like 1

What exactly do you need to do to mod your helmet? I read there's a chin cup requirement for Lancer, and as far as I know, none of the helmets you can get come with one...

Can't wait to see your boot mod process, too. Like yours, mine will (most likely) be two-toned soles, so advice on painting them to match will be most welcome. :)

fine, Pandatrooper applause this tutorial just looking at the pictures of me taking all these questions, I have not clear yet, the issue of fabric, such as pants, vest and sash, I follow you, and congratulations