Pandatrooper's SC Biker Scout build

Thanks Korry, glad you like the build and hope it's helpful.

Here's a link to where the boot tutorial starts:

http://forum.bikersc...indpost&p=92449

My apologies Terry, I wasn't clear. I have read your build thread several times. I wanted to know if you had done the weathering for the Scout boots? I want to make them look like they've been worn and weathered, so I wondered if you had done any before? Again, my fault, I did not explain myself properly. Thanks for the link none the less.

If your guys in the garrison decide to have an armour party in the near future and my Altmann's arrives, I hope to be invited. Then I can pick your brain about the weathering in person.

Plus, I can't wait to see your speeder bike...

Nice job on the weathering Terry. I don't like how ILM simply used a black rattle can to beat up the screen used outfits. It looks okay on film which I know was the intent, but when you see the armor up close, it looks like it is... a trooper that was attacked by an Ewok with a can of black spray paint.

• Like 1

I pinned the inner thigh patches into place, using 6-7 pins around the edges and sewed around the perimeter. This is easier if you rip the seam (take apart the stitches) on outside of the pant legs first. This is the outer vertical vertical seam of the pant legs.

After you are done all your sewing, you flip the pants inside out and sew up the outside seam to finish the pant portion of the jumpsuit.

Did you re-sew the outside seam BEFORE or AFTER you attached the elastic straps? You mention picking the seam where the strap will go, which leads me to believe you did it before. Did you sew the strap part by hand? I'm trying to wrap my head around how you did that--seems to me since it is perpendicular to the machine travel, that short stitch would be hard to get with the legs sewn back up...

Did you re-sew the outside seam BEFORE or AFTER you attached the elastic straps? You mention picking the seam where the strap will go, which leads me to believe you did it before. Did you sew the strap part by hand? I'm trying to wrap my head around how you did that--seems to me since it is perpendicular to the machine travel, that short stitch would be hard to get with the legs sewn back up...

Hi Kevin, yes.

1. seam rip the outside vertical seam of the pant

2. sew the thigh patches on

3. flip the pants inside out

4. sew the outside vertical seam of the pant to make it a "tube you can stick your leg in" again

5. size up the 2" thigh elastics and pin them to the outside seam

6. cut a 2" slot / seam rip the thigh patch where the elastic goes under the thigh patch at the front and rear

7. sew the thigh patches back up along the 2" slot to secure the elastic

8. add a 1-2" seam at the outside of the pant leg where the elastic is, to prevent it from flopping around

You can sew the elastic by hand or machine, whatever is easier. I was able to sew it on my machine by scrunching up the butt area, then sewing the 2" slot for the front of the thigh, and vice versa for the back of the thigh.

Hi Kevin, yes... I was able to sew it on my machine by scrunching up the butt area, then sewing the 2" slot for the front of the thigh, and vice versa for the back of the thigh.

Thanks, that's what I thought, but the last part is where I personally had issues. Glad I did it the same way.

I really like how you've done your riding patches.

Would you consider sharing that pattern?

I'm happy to share it out, but I'll update it with some changes as I feel even the one I sewed is slightly off. I'll post it when it's done. :)

Some preview pics from a recent photo shoot. :)

Final application photos to come!

29342899156_cf57488234_b.jpg

28755461043_b5a3c20fce_b.jpg

28755453713_5f89d21e8b_b.jpg

Awesome pics Terry! Be great to hear how you set it all up? Where did you do it at?

I always thought the UBC Endowment Lands would be a great place to do a live action shot? Or even Stanley Park? There are some huge trees out in each of them.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Looks great! And thank you for sharing. I've done a TD, so pretty confident with armor, but soft armor.. completely different story... Thanks again, this is very very helpful.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

I found this just in the nick of time as I am starting my SC put together myself.

I also pretty quickly saw the need for the return edges. My question is twofold if I may. Between the helmet and the armor which parts require or did you apply the return edges?

Secondly, what can us normal folk use to create the edges? For example I was thinking of heating the edges up with a hair dryer and bending them with protected tipped pliers. What about a 'normal' iron. Could that be used?

Thanks!

You can buy a small heating iron tbat is made for this type of work. I have one at home i could take a picture of. It was relatively inexpensive.

TK/HWT 10204

501st Imperial Attaché

Carolina Garrison

You can buy a small heating iron tbat is made for this type of work. I have one at home i could take a picture of. It was relatively inexpensive.

We have here a small travel iron. Maybe that could do?

Is the iron applied directly to the ABS or does it need some kind of buffer?

It's a sealing iron used for RC aircraft. I used Pandatroopers method on my armor and it works best. The problem with a standard iron is that it's too heavy and clunky. You really need to be close to the work to direct the heat in order to make a clean edge. You can find sealing irons on Amazon.

• Like 1

It's a sealing iron used for RC aircraft. I used Pandatroopers method on my armor and it works best. The problem with a standard iron is that it's too heavy and clunky. You really need to be close to the work to direct the heat in order to make a clean edge. You can find sealing irons on Amazon.

Thanks! I'll have a look.

Thanks! I'll have a look.

Panda also has a couple of videos that are good to watch as well.

Could this 'iron technique' convert these SC elastic slots into the exhibition/real thing designed recessed slots do you think?

(I hope Panadatrooper is ok I reused one of his photos).

post-82391-0-43696400-1478644191_thumb.jpg

post-82391-0-58838200-1478644192_thumb.jpg

post-82391-0-32089700-1478644193_thumb.jpg

post-82391-0-57515000-1478644199_thumb.jpg

Well you could always give it a shot but it would probably be better if it was pulled that way. Doing a return is much different than doing that recess. To make it clean you would have to create a die of the shape then heat the ABS till it's soft enough to mold into the die and the hold it till it cools. I can't tell you how much hot plastic burns:). It's something I did think about but it was a bit past my level so I just trimmed and relocated the strap locations and did the returns as Panda did.

• 1 month later...

I followed panda troopers build thread for making a t-21 and had really good results. I'll definitely be using this as a guide when I start my biker scout! Thanks for all the great info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk