BatNinja's Boot Progress

Although I've made several pairs of Scout boots in the past using the tutorial, this is my first adventure with the new Lancer specs (one color sole, vertical ribs, etc.).

I started with a pair of Rugged Outback 'Cheyenne' work boots from Payless Shoe Source. These are the replacements to the older State Street model I've used in the past for Scout boots.

IMAG0353.jpg

Using pliers I removed the metal 'WATERPROOF' badges from the outer sides so that they would not show against the vinyl when worn. Then I marked each cut area on the boot using an ink pen. The two-tone sole actually has its advantages, as I was able to use this line as a guide.

For the lower cuts, I used a standard X-Acto wedge blade (#11), and for the upper cuts, I used a lightweight chiseling blade (#17), as it was almost the exact width of the majority of the cuts. Worked like a charm!

IMAG0355.jpg

Once I cut all the ribs, I used a candle and the flat edge of an old steak knife to 'melt' the edges in some of the cuts to make cleaner lines. You can see the burn residue on one of the ribs here.

IMAG0359.jpg

Once I was satisfied with the cutting results, I masked the sole and used Krylon Fusion Satin Khaki to make the sole a uniform color. I can also see spots where I may want to go back and correct in the future, but for now, I'm very happy with the results. What do you think?

IMAG0360.jpg

IMAG0361.jpg

I will take better pictures in a few minutes, as I realize some of these are a little blurry.

More to follow...

It's Krylon Fusion, so it seems to stick and flex pretty well. I'm sure after a few troops, I'll have to do some touch up, or sand and start over, but I'm fully prepared for that trade-off.

Now I've gone and done it...

After making the cuts, you can see how awful the inside of the spaces look, due to the depth of the rubber of the sole. So...

Using some spare plastic I had laying around, I cut small spacers to 'dress up' the ribbing, and backed each spacer with rubber cement (Shoe Goo). Result? A nicer looking sole, and it adds a little dimension to the spaces. I'm not sure if these little details will survive an actual trooping experience, and if it doesn't, no big deal. It looks good NOW. :)

DSCN0068.jpg

DSCN0069.jpg

Starting the other boot now!

• 4 weeks later...