Suiting Up By Yourself

batninja

I've sewn several cummerbunds for users in years past, so I've got that part covered. I can close with Velcro, then rotate the piece around my torso, so that the closure is centered on the back.

However, now that the vest is a required piece for 501st/Lancer approval, has anyone found a way to make this piece so a trooper can suit up without a spotter? Having to close the vest is the current stumbling block.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-social, just looking for ideas, in the rare instance I have to suit up with anyone available. :)

Nope. Haven't figured that one out yet. I've been trying to think of a way to do this but haven't come up with anything I like yet. Best I've thought of is to make the bund and vest a single part with a zipper in the back with a long string on it similar to how it is on some wet suits. Then you'd have the velcro over the zipper to make it look like it's supposed to. Once it's zipped you can probably close the velcro by just backing into a wall. It would probably work but like I said, I don't really like it.

Funny you mention that, I actually thought about the wetsuit approach, too. I did that on a Boba Fett vest a few years back.

I also thought about making the main part of the vest with a stretchy fabric, so that I could just pull it over my head like a shirt.

Back to the drawing board... :)

I can totally do everything except the vest and cummerbund. My wife says I look funny trying...but no way yet. :)

Side note...I'm actually moving to your area and the North TX Squad. I will see you soon Eric!

I do my cummerbund up from the front, rotate it around until it's centred, then I stick my arms through the sleeves of the vest (sewn to the 'bund) and I just do it myself. I've learned how to feel if the two bits of velcro are lined up.

I should also add, I'm pretty flexible so that helps...

mmmmm.....never throught of that one ....do the spin around...

Takes note ...thank you :)

• 9 months later...

I can suit up myself as well. i have both closed as they should be and put the bund on like a pair of pants and the vest over my head like a t-shirt. the biker is one of the few suits i can put on completely myself. The other is my TK. My Boba Fett and Sandtrooper i always need a little help :P

I do have an idea though. How about adding a zipper in the front of the vest that goes from the bottom and about half way up, so its not seen when the armor is on. This way you can close the back, put it over your head and then close the front zipper to make it snug. hmmm :)

I really need to practice this. Didn't even realize to attempt to put on the best part by just putting it on like a shirt.... derp lol. Got to see how well I can do the bund twist method with what I got. Guess I should look into a small mirror to go in my box when trooping to help.

• 1 month later...

Hey all....old member here....havent been on in a while :unsure:

My vest has a zipper closure and velcro on the back, I have a detachable lanyard I hooked onto the zipper pull and Im able to zip up the vest on my own and the velcro flap covers the zipper when Im done. Maybe you could sew in a zipper to where the velcro flap covers it when you are done.

If you need me to I can take a picture...I love my vest but its starting to fall apart sadly :blush: