My SC Build

Hey All,

I have slowly been putting together my SC kit and so far its been really fun and not as daunting a task as I first thought when I first got my box of pieces! I have learned a lot from viewing the different threads here and have used that information and Jeff's instructions to get my armor close to complete. I have however hit a wall with attaching the tank to the back armor.

I have seen a couple of folks that cut into their back armor and created a lip to rivet the top of the tank to. I would like to avoid that as I'm not too keen on cutting into my back plate. I also saw one thread where the person used some type of plastic "L" form to glue the tank to and then bolt to their back armor. I like the look of that but I have not had any luck in finding a suitable piece of "L" bracketlike plastic that I can use. I thought about making something with traditional "L" brackets, but it did not come together as I had hoped and have scraped that piece.

So I am asking for some help from my fellow Scouts that also have SC kits. How did you all attach your tanks to your back armor? Pics would be great too if you can provide them!

Also, figure I should show a couple of pics from my build. I know that I'm far from any type of Lancer status, but thats something I can always work on afterwards. I just want to get my Scout built and 501st approved.

The box arrives!

Boxofgoodness.jpg

Unpacked the pieces, a little overwhelmed at this point...

unpacked2.jpg

Kropserkel Helmet kit arrives!

Unpackedinpieces.jpg

After trimming, a little mock up...

ScoutHelmet2ndtriming.jpg

T-bits and Thermal Det put together,...greebles ordered....

TbitsandThermalDet.jpg

Mock up so far...

2012-05-30_200426.jpg

Todays work, boot and holster, check!

BootwithHolster.jpg

My Scout pistol.

ScoutPistol1.jpg

Fitting the pistol into the holster.

ScoutPistolinHolster.jpg

My belt, almost completed.

ScoutBelt.jpg

Thanks for any and all help with my tank issues and any advice in general on my build. Once I get the armor completed, then its the helmet, and I will likely be back asking for pointers on that since I know I will need it! Overall though, I'm really having fun putting this together and I am looking forward to trooping as a Scout, partly because I will be able to sit and crouch unlike in my TK! Oh and don't worry, once its all together, I'm gonna dirty it up! ;-)

Thanks again,

Mike (DZ)

Def get rid of the trigger on the blaster. As for the tank mount, I did the whole cutting a flap, and bending it up using a heat gun. Easy, and it works. Not a bad looking build so far. Looking forward to seeing the rest of your build.

Thanks Chex for taking a look at my build. How come I would have to remove the trigger?

Anyway, I found some extra styrene that I had from another project that I was able to cut and then shape ala heating it over the stove and then bending it. I used some E-6000 to glue it to the inside of the tank and once dry was able to bolt it to the back plate. When I put in the bottom rivet, it really balanced it out! A little scarey, but exciting too since this was the last big bit of the armor build that I had left! A few minor details here and there and I will be ready to move to the helmet!

Here are some pics:

Holes drilled into the back armor:

BackArmor.jpg

My styrene "L" bracket:

Tank1.jpg

Another shot of it:

Tank2.jpg

The first transport is away,....er, the tank is attached!!! What great feeling since I was so worried about this piece!

Tankattached.jpg

Shot of the wing nuts that help hold the tank to the back armor. Once the bottom rivet was placed, it all balanced nicely.

Wingnutsinthebackarmor.jpg

Shot of the upper armor, now with the tank attached:

Upperarmor1.jpg

Another shot of the upper armor with the tank, you can also see the wing nuts. Will have to pad over them.

Upperarmor2.jpg

Will get a final build pic when I get all the little details done. Wow, definitely a fun build. A little scarey here and there, but if you are patient, don't rush and do a little at a time, it all comes together nicely.

~Mike

I say get rid of the trigger, because scout blasters don't have triggers. They put one on the Kenner toy, cause it was a toy. As for the tank, good job, however if you plan on going Lancer, you'll have to redo the rivet. You riveted from the top, and it needs to be done from the inside of the tank so you have the other end on top with the washer.

I like the way you attached the tank, neat idea. As Chex mentioned, you will need to tweak it a bit for Lancer clearance. As for the blaster, you basically have a cast of the Kenner toy blaster. So, it's not super accurate but you could mod it a bit to make it closer. Fine for general clearance...just not Lancer.

Whoo hoo, got my belt finished, so now it's just a few little details here and there, but the hard part with the armor is done! On to the helmet!

Front shot:

Front1.jpg

Right side:

Right.jpg

Back:

Back.jpg

Left side:

Left.jpg

Pathfinders, here I come!

~Mike

• 3 weeks later...

did your SC kit came with 5 buckles? 4 for the thigh boxes and one for the closure of the belt on the back? and btw, do you mind taking some pictures of how your belt looks on the inside and how you strapped it all up? I know this might sound like the worst request ever but I'm REALLY stuck on the belt

It came with 4, used them for the thigh boxes. For the back I had Velcro sewn to the large 2" (I think it's 2") strap. Works great and the thermal det hooks to it perfectly. Will get some pics of my belt to you, but you can see a pretty good shot of it in my first pics in the thread.

• 1 month later...

Getting closer, painting some of the helmet tomorrow, inside black, the nose, nose bit and the elevator bolts. Decals and new lens material ordered as well from Trooperbay. Couple of updated pics, with the helmet so far.

Back:

2012-07-15190824.jpg

Front:

2012-07-15190955.jpg

I could have sworn there was a good armor weathering tutorial here, but I can't seem to locate it. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Mike

For weathering I just used light blasts of flat black spray paint as that is what was used in the movie. Before weathering check out screen caps as the scouts in the movie were weathered but not dirty. To get rid of the "super speckling" effect from spray paint I moved a piece of door screen through the spray paint mist as I was spraying. The screening helps to further break up any speckling. BTW: armor looks nice! just make sure you hike you belt up a little as there is a bit of a black gap between your cummerbund and belt.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Okay, so I got a lot done! I got the helmet completed, Trooper_bay decals and lens material! He cut it to the size I needed and it was so incredibly easy to cut and insert into the faceplate. The lens material KS provided was way too think for me to use. Anyway, here are the latest pics. Still need to do the suede, butt flap and flak vest. Will be looking to have those done by Dec and weather it of course! TB9664 is almost there.

Front:

2012-09-13_200833.jpg

Right side:

2012-09-13_200849.jpg

Left side:

2012-09-13_200859.jpg

Back:

2012-09-13_200915.jpg

Freeze Rebel Scum!

2012-09-13_200942.jpg

Darthzemog,

Oh, wow. This costume looks awesome!!!! You've done a bang up job with your build, I'd like to see the costume go up one more a notch! We updated the Kneecaps to be more accurate a month or so after you received your kit, and I would like to upgrade those parts for you for free. :)

Send me a private message with your shipping address.

Terry, thanks for the imput, your build thread is awesome and I used your method for "bridging the gap" of the chest and back armor, sewed the white cloth to some black elastic to slip on over the gap, worked great!

Jeff, WOW, that would be great, will send you a pm right away! I really like the look of your new helmet kit too. I may hit you up for one when I decide to do another helmet!

• 4 months later...