Cummerbund vertical stitching

lonewolf

Yes Patrik this is correct, only the codpiece topsection should sit under the belt, and the top part of the codpiece should be approx 12" wide .

Not a bad material choice Rob, possibly a bit too glossy but better than canvas/cotton IMO. The ribbing looks better with 5.

The codpiece could be padded with some soft foam matting? I think the originals had something pretty robust inside them the way they bend in the pics.

The Cod is padded. It's literally just because it's the way it's shoved in.

I didn't have time to set him up properly. They are purely comparison shots.

You think it's worth seperating it from the main bund and having it attach behind the belt?

I did have a good look around. Couldn't find anything that was less shiny. Could find plenty that were more shiny.

I think it's not bad. Only when you get in real bright sunshine does it show up.

And we had some (a rarity of late) hence the reason I took the pic. Just so we can see what it looks like.

Yes Rob, I am adding the codpiece behind the front part of the cummerbund to create a "step" for the belt to sit below the ribbed section. I am fairly sure the originals were along these lines.

It will also avoid the cummerbund fron slipping below the belt. I also think folks make their codpiece too thin from top to bottom, the originals were like big nappies, very wide at the top.

I am using camping foam on the codpiece , it will avoid the horrible looking "camel toe".

As an extra way to avoid the cummerbund from revealing a gap at the chest armour I am adding a curve at this point , not screen accurate but I remember a troop where this was my costume malfunction and it ruined any decent pics I had!

I stick some poppers on the top of the bund and corresponding ones on the inside of the chest plate.

Works a treat, certainly no coming apart. Helps keep it all centralised too.

Could be worth doing similar on the belt too, so the bund and the separate cod are popped to the belt. It'll stop the belt slipping down and revealing any gaps.

• 2 weeks later...

here's a few pics of it all put together.

And before anyone says it.... Yes I know I've got normal trousers and a T-shirt on! No point in getting all suited and booted for test fitting.

Sorry for the picture quality, iPhone and taken in a mirror too.

IMG_0948.jpg

IMG_0949.jpg

Is that the same bund from your previous photos? Your stitch lines look a tad crooked here making the ribs a bit wonky. Some thick near the bottom, some thin. Optical illusion? The material looks great here.

It is the same one yes... I think it's a bit of an optical illusion, and how the taffeta bunches up around my rather fat belly (must remedy that). Some bits seem to bunch more than others for no apparent reason.

It is a bit of a concept to see if the system works.

If people are happy with the results (fabric/number of stitches, not the execution), then I'll tidy it up a bit. I've got enough material left to make another one.

I have to say, it is a bugger of a material to work with. It's pretty lightweight and does pull all over the place. I am going to have to do some extra bracing around the top, because the pouches keep pulling it down at the sides, which doesn't tend to happen with the cotton ones.

• 1 month later...

Hi all

waking up an old issue here since I was down at the fabric store yesterday (picking up more straps and chilling with the old ladies who gave me strange looks...) and I took the opportunity to look at possible bund fabrics.

Has anyone checked out beaver nylon? It looks shiny, it's quite tight woven, and it seems to crease alright but might risk getting very warm.

Another option is a fabric called "heavy bridal satin" which is made of tight woven polyester, also tight woven and quite heavy.

Just a couple of suggestions for anyone looking for a new shiny look (hey, why is it only the TKs that can be 'shiny'? ;) ).

I'm thinking that the satin would definitely be too shiny. Beaver nylon looks (and sounds from what I can find) to be the same as nylon Cordura. I've got something similar that I might be using for my new 'bund. It's 1000 denier (thickness/weight) and it's plastic coated on the back (you can barely see it). I don't think it'll be too hot but then again, I won't know until I try, hahaha!

But I'd go with the "beaver" nylon. I think it's closer to the original than duck cloth/twill.