Cummerbund vertical stitching

lonewolf

Well, I'm probably going to make a new bund, one with 6 stitches. That way, I'll at least have both, so can cover which ever base we end up with.

And on that note, I'm concerning myself with the fabric type.

If you look on this picture that Jeff kindly posted.

rotj_bluray-00004_cropped_thermdet.jpg

You can see that the fabric is ever so slightly shiny. The weave is certainly incredibly tight, to the point of not being able to see it at all. The way that the dirt spots have just settled on the top also lead me to believe that it's a nylon style material, rather than cotton. With cotton weave, the spots would have soaked in a little.

Also the way it's creased doesn't seem all that consistent with cotton either.

And this would also explain the contrast between the bund and the pouches.

Feel free to debate.

Yes I agree about the material, the blu Ray really looks like a nylon type material, I am not so up on materials, polyester/rayon?

But it is probably not soft/canvas cotton, brushed cotton possibly?. The sheen is very clear especially the closeups.

I thought I was the only crazy guy to notice this Rob :D

Well, better book me space at the loony bin too then John.

The more you look at those pictures really close, and I mean really close.... you can hardly see the weave, which does for me, point towards a man made fibre rather than a natural one.

That frontal shot on page one, clearly shows the texture difference between the bund and the pouches. And whilst the pouches might not be "off white", they are clearly darker than the bund, but I believe this is down to the texture difference rather than a colour difference.

When I blag some material, I'll knock one up and put it to the camera test.

Time to go ferreting around the local fabric store where all the old grannies think I'm some kind of weirdo.

I've always thought the cummerbund fabric was close to what I've seen at fabric stores as 'drapery backing'. It's fabric, but almost has a plastic feel to it, but there IS a (tight) weave, and it can be sewn easily enough.

Just my 2 cents...

I have seen the blue-ray, and I've had 5 ribs, but the best image I have to show here is this.

rotj_bluray-00002.png

Back in the 80-s this type of fabric was used a lot in the states. I actually had a white-ish ski jacket made out of it. Leia's Hoth jacket in ESB also looks like very similar material. I have seen this at Joanne Fabrics too...:)

To the detachment staff; are there any updates on the discussion regarding changes to the CRL? Is it possible to have a detachment vote now?

I've currently got my cummerbund partially sewn and can't really sew the stitched rib lines until a decision is made, nor can I submit my costume for approval.

Any update would be great, thanks!

I'd roll with the official CRL for now; don't let it hold you up. If this goes to vote and we all agree or compromise (5-or-6), then it may change. It could take some time.

I'd roll with the official CRL for now; don't let it hold you up. If this goes to vote and we all agree or compromise (5-or-6), then it may change. It could take some time.

Plus, if anyone decided to switch to the (possible) new standard, It's just a matter of ripping a few stitches and sewing a few new lines. ;)

I'd prefer to only sew one cummerbund if possible as the fiberfill quilting will be flatter if I have to stitch 7 lines, then unstitch, then sew 6 in their place. Plus you will see the previous stitch holes (I am picky that way).

With the photos and blu ray evidence, are we not ready or able to put this to a vote yet?

Also wanting/needing to know before I make any purchases or anything...

Because i'd be pretty annoyed (and others im sure) if the 501st standard is changed just as I have everything ready to submit for my first 501st costume T_T

Ive thought long and hard about this, and this is what I posted in the admin section-

I think for now I am going to say both 5 and 6 ribs are acceptable for both lancer and standard scouts just to be fair to everyone, there isnt really a 100% clear photo to say either way as good as they are to say one or the other is right full stop. I dont feel that the number of stitch lines is such a major issue with the scout costume in general un like say a vest for its accuracy, its not something that the eye is really drawn too in my eyes. It certainly doesnt make a scout look any less accurate with one less rib, as the spacing can vary some with a troopers girth anyway so were never going to be all the same.

For now Im happy for which ever a scout wishes to choose.

The bund material wont be changed in requirments as long as overall it looks right in fit and finish. If guys choose to use a nylon based material thats fine as long as it has a heavy weave to it.

• 2 weeks later...

well, I've done a quick scratch test with the new material and with the 5 ribs as opposed to the 6.

The material I used was a Polyester Taffeta material.

Here are the results.

Please ignore the squiffy placement, Emelio (my mannequin) didn't want to stand up straight, and I just wrapped the bund around him over the existing cotton one. So it does look a bit wonky.

IMG_0909.jpg

Close up,

IMG_0911.jpg

Outside

IMG_0912.jpg

Direct Bright Sunlight.

IMG_0914.jpg

As you can see, there is a very slight colour difference, and a good textural difference. I'm reasonably pleased that this is likely to be a similar material to what was used.

Thoughts/comments.

I think the material for the bund looks close to spot on, the creases certainly looks better.

But I think that the "thong"-part (ok, this is the first time I have been checking out a crotch on someone named "Emelio"...) looks strange with this material. Here the creasing does not look right. The chevron is barely visible.

I went back one page in this topic and it looks like the bund is made in two parts, one belly part in the shiny material going down to the belt, and then the thong part coming out underneath, in a more cotton-like material. If you look at the close-up from the blu-ray extra you see this edge, and something similar is seen in the screen grab where the rebel soldier lifts his arms up, and also the scout who is fooled by Han. It certainly looks like there is a distinct edge just above the belt.

So maybe a more correct design of the bund would be to have a cotton thong part sewn or velcroed to the back of the bund, not in the seam, and which is also longer than in the current designs.

yeah, the poor chap has his knees bent up (so he's effectively in a sitting position). The crotch bit is just stuffed between his legs.

it does look a bit odd I'll grant you, but the curve is there, and it should be better when worn on me (rather than one someone who is a lot smaller). The belt should sit a little higher too.

I stuffed it on there quickly just to get some comparison shots up of the material for peoples perusal and opinions.

The bund is not nearly finished. I need to add the velcro, elastic and poppers yet. The top of the crotch bit is 10" wide.

Off topic alert....

Ps...my mannequin is named Jeb, or Jebediah.

Apparently they all have names... it's a mannequin thing.

back on topic..

Ok, so back on topic :D

I would like to hear all you "gurus" views on my point that the bund should end at the top of the belt, and it's only the groin flap that goes under the belt. I've been looking at a lot of pictures of bunds now and in general the groin flap seems to short, and correspondingly, the bund is too long.

If I've only had my armor now I would gladly have tried to make a bund of my own, or a prototype of it just to see how it looks. Unfortunately it will take another 8-9 weeks for MC to finish it (estimation...).