Cummerbund vertical stitching

lonewolf

Great post Phil, very well thought out.

I am mainly concerned with the number of ribs on the cummerbund on this thread. I do think my OP is still accurate as I have seen nothing to overrule it. And it seems nobody is saying anything different to what I said.

Yes on the other differences in this costume, mainly the neckseal, I think it cannot be ignored for standards as it is in the movie.

I also think we would all still wear a Balaclava with the neckseal due to the design of the helmet and the fact that we see a Biker Scout [Nik Sant] wearing a balaclava.

I do think not allowing an accurate neckseal for the standards is incorrect. But it would need to be a different type to the Stormtroopers. This could be sorted on another post.

I would like to hear other guy's views on these things.

My main concern was that people still have problems to recognise MOM and BR manequin references while it is obvious that the main parts must be originals and only few things like the red tab on tank and crazy arrangements at times (snowtrooper) or missing parts are not an evidence that the whole reference can't be trusted.

It was brought up as a weakness point in the argument for the stitches. Sorry that I made a complete statement out of it ;)

Spent the night watching the BR fbf and where ever I could I counted ribs. There where never more than five in any frames.

Only managed to take pictures with my camera, and will look through those and upload what I find may be usefull.

Still waiting to see evidence of 6 ribs, other than that it was decided sometime ago by some other dudes who didnt have better reference.

If you have a good time reference I can pull a screenshot of the BR. I took some, but could not see exactly 5 :(

I did however see that the pouches are attached to the cummerbund. You see it clearly on the rebel (scum) that wears the biker scout uniform when he's captured.

Dont have the time stamp, but I think we could get a clear view of the stiches, if this wasnt a picture of my tv screen.

Its right before the Ewoks attack where 3PO is yelling at the troopers.

P6110090.jpg

Again here in the speeder bike chase.

P6110118.jpg

And it seems like the pouches are sewed on with the same distance to the outermost stiches as the width of the rasied areas.

P6110014.jpg

And I know its not the issue here, but look how they attached the TD!!

P6110121.jpg

EDIT: All pictures I took are here on Photobucket: http://s1167.photobucket.com/albums/q627/Arnie_DK/BR%20stills/?start=all

• Like 1

Dont have the time stamp, but I think we could get a clear view of the stiches, if this wasnt a picture of my tv screen.

Its right before the Ewoks attack where 3PO is yelling at the troopers.

P6110090.jpg

Again here in the speeder bike chase.

P6110118.jpg

And it seems like the pouches are sewed on with the same distance to the outermost stiches as the width of the rasied areas.

P6110014.jpg

And I know its not the issue here, but look how they attached the TD!!

P6110121.jpg

EDIT: All pictures I took are here on Photobucket: http://s1167.photobu...ills/?start=all

Great screen grabs Morten. I count 5 ribs on the bund no matter where I look in the movie. A larger scout and/or stunt man COULD have one with 6, no telling. I also really liked the wonky TD image with the zip ties holding it to the belt. Lo-tech... ;)

Is this enough information or do we still need more shots? At 1:29:36 in ROTJ, you can see the front of the cummerbund pretty good on the scout that Han tricks. Might be a good candidate for a blu ray screenshot? I have the blue rays but I don't have a PC with the drive to capture them, only the PS3.

I couldnt get a good look at the stiches on the guy Han throws around, and I looked at it on my 43" tv...

But if someone could tell me how to take screen grabs off the computer, I might give it a try.

It looks like the pouches have a second piece of top cover which is attached to the cummerbund. Sorry but i cant explain it better. Its just an area of right above the pouches like another piece of fabric tah is attached on the cummerbund and the lower part attached to the pouches.

If it is possible for someone to get screen grabs via a pc or laptop that would be a big help, not just for the sake of this but for the archives. In the mean time I will discuss this with the armourers and staff before opening it up for a vote.

I have some stills now that where taken in 1920x1080, but photobucket seems to resize them. They can be seen at http://s1241.photobu...out1/TB/Stills/

If you need to use any of these in the reference gallery then I can email the source pictures.

Definitely looks like 5 raised areas. Also, it looks like the cummerbund ends just above the belt and that the cod starts out wider than I thought it did. Guess I've got some new specs for my 'bund.

I received some high def 1920 x 1080 pixel images from the Star Wars blu ray courtesy of "Southscout" (thanks!).

Below are cropped versions so that we can see the detail (no need to see the trees behind Han or the officer / Leia in the images as we only want to focus on the Scout). I also adjusted the image levels and contrast / saturation of the images using Photoshop so that we can more clearly see the ribbing. I am an art director in gaming and graphic design for 20+ years, so I am familiar with photoshop and tweaking levels. Photobucket was resizing the images, so I uploaded the high resolution ones to my Flickr.

I copied and pasted the cummerbund detail, and highlighted where the ribs in the cummerbund are. In both of these images, it's clear that the cummerbund is 5 ribs with 6 stitched lines. I hope these images can finally put the debate to rest (I want to finish my cummerbund too!) :)

7372849798_b4e563e38f_b.jpg

7372849712_b08d43b710_o.jpg

Great screen grabs, just the same as the Blu Ray Biker Scout prop costume.

I didn't notice the Stormtrooper next to Nick Sant has no rubber forehead trim, anybody else think the Stormtrooper belts are the same width and style as the Biker Scout version?

Also, it looks like the cummerbund ends just above the belt and that the cod starts out wider than I thought it did.

I think that's more to do with the belt sagging a little. The join line is definitely under the belt, but I agree that the top is definitely wider than you think. When I make mine, I do the top part at least 10" (covering a large part of the frontage), depending on the size of the recipient.

I have to say I am leaning more towards 5 ribs.

Damn... have to make a new bund.

edit...

Also, is it me, or does the bund material look a little shiny?? (especially in the BluRay exhibit). sort of like a nylon type material, similar to modern tent outers.

And notice the bad pull on the belt.... hehehehhe. just between the centre box and the second set, you can see the web where the material hasn't pulled properly.

As a general statement after looking at the blu-ray over and over, I would say that the TB has to be one of the hardest armors to get 100% screen accurate. There seems to be all kinds of small differences between the troopers uniforms. One has something similar to a neckseal, one has no balaclava, one has a very strange setup with the side-strap of the armor, the armor on the arms goes up and down from the elbows etc.