New KS Helm "Remastered Mold"

So I ordered the helm pre-built because at the time I really didn't have time (or skill) to put such a major piece together between work full time and school full time. I chose KS because reviews and posts here on the boards deemed it one of the lightest helms. So after a two month delay in addition the 8 week turnabout time that crushed my hopes and dreams of ever being ready for SWW it finally came in.

Looking at it now maybe I'm being overly critical. But my inner perfectionist is a little disappointed. (Bubbling, unclean cuts, slanted decals, ect.) I'll be able to live with it.

ANYWAY.

Iwanted to let you guys know that according to Scott they had a remastering and a material upgrade, so I wanted to post some pics about that.

Quote direct via email:

"In addition to the remastered parts, we also received a new grade of ABS which is firmer and thicker than previous materials that we have used, and this is proving to make a really impressive piece, so there is a positive dividend for the additional wait time."

But it seems that before, and now, the helms still have the same problem here.

dsc03961q.jpg

I have to reshape the cut out for the visor. One eye droops lower then the other. Its more visible in person. The glass on that same eye rubs against the top of the helmet when you lift the front. (my fear is that it will scratch over time.)

dsc03959n.jpg

dsc03958sh.jpg

dsc03956s.jpg

dsc03957qe.jpg

dsc03946b.jpg

I have replacement 3mm bolts and a new MLC snout. Will hopefully be ordering Trooperbay decals soon.

Is this the remastered helmet?

The faceplate visor has been cut poorly at the sides, the top cuve and the inner return edges, the faceplate is sitting too close to the main helmet piece as well.

Maybe with new stickers and nose detail it could look ok. Take the white edging strip off as well. Or send it back, I know what I would be doing.

Yes. This is indeed the remastered helmet.

I don't know where to go from here.

With so close to C6 I feel like an alternative would be damn near impossible.

Do you think with some careful trimming I can correct this stuff?

I'll be sending an email back to KS regardless.

KS012.jpg

this part is overtrimmed, the corners are too square,

KS013.jpg

The rear of the visor is trimmed too much behind the bolt covers,

scoutandbarc011.jpg

I fillered my KS in the warped parts and painted it,

Photo1063.jpg

The eyes could be cut a bit better, still enough plastic to fix this,

It is up to you, with the overtrimmed parts it is a write off IMO.

This is apparently common with KS. I got mine about four months ago after a four month wait and had to return it because it was two (obviously) different colors. The second one was a bit better on the color but not exact and the dents in the ears were and are worse than yours. I kept it and did the same as you, modifying it with the correct snout, decals and bolt covers. Although Scott was very nice about the whole thing, I would never buy another KS helmet. I am sorry for your troubles man, there are a few of us on here that have been in the same boat.

One more thing, if you do decide to keep it. Before you remove the trim on the bottom of the helmet, form some abs strips and reinforce the inside back of the helmet to keep the shape. If you don't, the helmet will warp and it will be very difficult to close. One more perk to owning the helmet.

At this point I would love nothing more then a full refund. Does KS even do that? Or do they just keep exchanging one bad helm after another.

I sending an email to KS right now. I'm hoping Scott could help me. Hes been nice so far especially with how long its taken. (And sent me a free tee and overnight shipping. But now I suppose it was an attempt at compensation)

As Matt mentioned, it's common for KS. I got mine almost a year ago, same dents/warps, story, etc. But, I replaced all the parts and decals, did a bit of trimming and I love mine. However, KS should offer you a full refund if you send it back.

• Like 1

I just saw one a potential squad mate got in kit form, and the visor is horrible, and just straight up unusable. How they even sent it off that way boggles the heck out of me.

Guest Penn Chemist

That's what I don't understand. Where is the QC?? I work in a very regulated industry (pharmaceuticals) and even though this isn't a potential danger to someone you need to stand by your product! If I owned this business I would need to inspect every article before it went out personally to ensure the quality is up to snuff. I realize that perfection can't be achieved with something like this but too much trimming, OBVIOUS grooves, bumps, dents... I mean some of these that have been sent to customers have been fairly fubar. Just can't believe they would send them out in such a fashion.

Maybe I'm out of line, and unsure of how it all works... but I sure wouldn't want to send out a product I coudn't fully back personally.

I am glad that they seem to have niffty customer service as a saving grace, but some of these flaws are just a bit much in my opinion.

I'm looking for a helmet soon and KS is my fall back but at this point might want to wait for SCs new molds to be worked out and see how they are. Just hope to be able to come by my first choice, but they seem scarce. It's a bummer as KS is supposed to be the best currently mass produced lid. Ah geez...

Guest Kevin_Seconds

.Heres my Visor from the KS Kit. I emailed and sent these pictures and i got a reply apologizing for the trouble, but its meant to be trimmed off. I dont know if i should send it back up or work with what i got

ifonepic4027.jpg?t=1337638661

ifonepic4026.jpg

Guest tk-8255

I got my KS in kit form and built was way unhappy with it. it was a rubbish pull with areas being too thin and almost seethrough almost. i have just pulled it apart and started boging and sanding boging and sanding so much work to thicken it up then to fix other parts of the helmet where its crinkled so much worng with it. IMO i would never encourage someone to purchase a KS. and i hear more and more horror storries coming out about them

Unfortunately, this happens in the costuming world. It's not like shopping at Walmart or your favorite outlet. Not all armor/helmet sources have good quality control measures to ensure customer satisfaction. KS does have a refund policy so if you are/were unhappy, return it. Also, they (KS) may have the helmet market right now, but others are coming up with better, more accurate helmets (MC, LW, SC). You do have options. ;)

Guest Kevin_Seconds

Ive been looking at MC helmets but i keep hearing that its not good for large heads haha. But what is the clearance inside the helmets?

Ive been looking at MC helmets but i keep hearing that its not good for large heads haha. But what is the clearance inside the helmets?

I have a "larger" head and wear the KS bucket. It works for me. I have tried on an MC helmet and it's a little tight on my head.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hmm, just ordered a kit, I really hope they have fixed the issues, was looking at the SC first but I have a large head and they told me it would not fit, this will be my first build too

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest BenPass

Hi folks, I just ordered a KS bucket last week, and after reading this, I'm really hoping that the issues have been fixed. I'll be sure to keep y'all updated.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I ordered and received my KS. It took about 2 and 1/2 months which is pretty good. Overall, it's a decent bucket but after close inspection there is some alteration that needs to happen. Particularly with the visor. Looking straight on at the helmet the bolts aren't at an even height, and the top of the visor needs to be tacked down somehow to the faceplate. There is one area next to the right ear that is a bit rough. This is all outside of the obvious stuff like the snout, bolts, and decals. I think it's just a matter of knowing there will be some work to do if you buy this bucket. Other than that it is large, light, and I actually do like it. I'm going to work it.