SC Kit Purchased - anyone want to help?

Hi - I have my SC armor kit and I think I may have bitten off more than I can chew.

Are there any video clips of strapping/cutting/riveting?

I'm not confident with the written instructions.

Better yet, anyone live in the Rancho Cucamonga, CA area and want to set up a time to come by and help?

I'll buy lunch and soda (or even beer) and even throw down a few bucks for the hands on help.

I don't want to screw it up- not only destroy the armor - but I want to make sure I can get approved when I'm done.

Guidance?

Thanks!

Better yet, anyone live in the Rancho Cucamonga, CA area and want to set up a time to come by and help?

I'll buy lunch and soda (or even beer)

Throw in a flight & I'm there.........heh heh.

With that offer of beer TBs will be knocking down your door mate

• Like 1

I just finished my SC armor a month ago. Trust me you have not bitten off more then you can chew. altogether it does seem daunting. Just take it one piece at a time, and you'll be fine. Ask questions here, everyone has been more then helpful to me durning my build. One of the best pieces of advice I got was to start with the chest and work outward.

yeah, take it steady and you'll be fine.

Jeff's stuff is pretty fool proof (as proven by the post above... even a fool can do it!! hehehehehh).

Depending on your size, it shouldn't need that much trimming (if any) and it's all pre-cut with the holes, so it's just a question of gluing the velcro bits in the right place and making sure you cut the straps to the correct size for your body.

My advice:

use a popper in the centre of your velcro for added troop-ability

rough the ABS up with a bit of sandpaper where you plan to stick the velcro

Use a bit of webbing strap across the shoulder bridges before wrapping them with the cloth covers.

and most importantly...

TAKE YOUR TIME and ASK QUESTIONS IF UNSURE.

I'm building a SC armor as well :) Not that far off from being done with it. This is my build-thread (not that good at updating it though haha... Shame on me) : http://forum.bikerscout.net/index.php?showtopic=9307&st=0&p=76289entry76289

Any advice I would give you has already been given: take your time, and ask questions :)

• 3 weeks later...

Would videos of a costume assembly (from the ground up) really be helpful to the first time builder of a Scout costume? I am about 4 weeks away from starting a new costume build, and could video tape the entire process, but not sure if it would be overkill.

• Like 1

Would videos of a costume assembly (from the ground up) really be helpful to the first time builder of a Scout costume? I am about 4 weeks away from starting a new costume build, and could video tape the entire process, but not sure if it would be overkill.

I think this is a GREAT idea. If you are willing to do it there will be some really happy upcoming scouts. :)

I think if you can take photos of the entire process, that's wold be awesome.

if you make a video... you gonna be like a god for the beginners like me :P

I've done the photo thing in my tutorials before , but not in ultra-minute detail. Between You, Uplandamcenter and SaraBO's affirmation of the need for this, I will put making the video at the top of the priority list when I start building the new costume in May/June.

In the meantime here are some old-skool 'image' tutorials of basic Rivetting and Buttoning techniques...

http://studiocreations.com/howto/rivetingbuttoning/riveting.html

http://studiocreations.com/howto/rivetingbuttoning/buttoning.html

I'll see what I can do about making a "Strap Sewing" tutorial in the coming week.

I think a lot of us 'old-timers' are so deep into the costuming world that we forget just how daunting and scary the basic techniques can be to the first-time costumer.

• Like 1

It's not that hard, but I know I racked my brain a little thinking about the best way to do things. Wish I lived closer, I'd love to help out a future scout.

Chris if a 48 year old mum can tackle it, I reckon you can, there are plenty of us been in your postion, just like Chef said take your time, start one piece at a time and go from there. Remember Measure once then Measure again, third times a treat and cut or sand or sew or glue....the third time as saved me quite a bit. When unsure POST your little heart out and Pictures are great.

• 3 months later...

I've done the photo thing in my tutorials before , but not in ultra-minute detail. Between You, Uplandamcenter and SaraBO's affirmation of the need for this, I will put making the video at the top of the priority list when I start building the new costume in May/June.

In the meantime here are some old-skool 'image' tutorials of basic Rivetting and Buttoning techniques...

http://studiocreations.com/howto/rivetingbuttoning/riveting.html

http://studiocreations.com/howto/rivetingbuttoning/buttoning.html

I'll see what I can do about making a "Strap Sewing" tutorial in the coming week.

I think a lot of us 'old-timers' are so deep into the costuming world that we forget just how daunting and scary the basic techniques can be to the first-time costumer.

Hi Jeff,

Just wanted to follow up on this and ask if you ended up filming your last build. Videos definitely would help us first-timers :)