Jumpsuit and Vest... by Celebration

Sorripto

I am currently stationed overseas and am working on a scout trooper to wear to celebration VI when we get back to the states in August. Finishing the suit and joining the 501st are both goals of mine upon my return back to America. With that short window and the fact that I am overseas and mail, although easy enough to ship to an FPO, can take a while. Given those facts I am more then willing to purchase a made jumpsuit and vest as opposed to trying to make my own from scratch. While several of the recommendations on this board have been more then willing to help me the short window of August is making many orders hard to find.

My question is does anyone have any suggestions for finding a suit and vest that will meet 501st approval, either pre-made or a kit, that could made and mailed out or mailed out and finished before say July?

My second question: I have seen this auction a few times and would like to know if this suit vest combo within specs and if not what kind of changes would need to be made?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Biker-Scout-trooper-Jump-Suit-Vest-built-on-Star-Wars-Costume-Prop-Armor-/180836498158?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a1ab1faee

• 1 month later...

I want to BUMP this post as I was going to post a new thread but this is what I am seeking intell on as well...

I have ordered from Christian (CB) in the past and his stuff seems well put together.

I was considering ordering his flight suite and requesting that he uses real suede (for a bit more $$) and not incorporate the vest.

Has anyone picked it up as-is and if so, what are your thoughts on the overall quiality?

Also, how are the actual measurements (as he sends a list asking all your measurements first that you send back before he makes the outfit)?

Many thanks gang!

\m/

Wow! You're not kidding!

Ant idea how tough it will be to make it 501st standards (what needs to be sewn on etc?)

Great thread - very helpful in my own search for a flight suit

Thanks!

Hey Chris,

I plan to remove any/all pockets on the coveralls. Then find some real black suede (Jo Ann Fabric or eBay) and there are turtoials with screenshots in this forum that show/tell what you need to do as far as cutting sizes of the suede (crotch and butt flap) and the straps used. Also, I plan to add a velcro collar (similar to a racing suit) as well. I may go as far as add a belt similar to a racing suit too. Most of this should be basic thread/needle sewing and if I run into trouble, Jo Ann fabric has local help to hire.

Hope it helps and thanks again Jim (Griffin-X) for the inside scoop!

\m/

Those are the cheapest jumpsuit/coveralls I have seen but how is the quality for that price i wonder?

Hey Sorripto - I receivedmy black coveralls yesterday and they are really well done. Much nicer than the flight suit I used on my first Scoutfit a few years back.

I highly recommend them and only two chest pockets and two butt pocket that can easily be removed.

Go for it! \m/

Hey Chris,

I plan to remove any/all pockets on the coveralls. Then find some real black suede (Jo Ann Fabric or eBay) and there are turtoials with screenshots in this forum that show/tell what you need to do as far as cutting sizes of the suede (crotch and butt flap) and the straps used. Also, I plan to add a velcro collar (similar to a racing suit) as well. I may go as far as add a belt similar to a racing suit too. Most of this should be basic thread/needle sewing and if I run into trouble, Jo Ann fabric has local help to hire.

Hope it helps and thanks again Jim (Griffin-X) for the inside scoop!

\m/

Any idea where on the forum that tutorial is I cant seem to find it?

Guest Penn Chemist

Yeah I too would be inerested in a reference to these tutorials, for sure.

I have seen the template for the boxes, and the suede but am unsure on how to actually use them. Does one print them out on paper with a large printer to scale... something of that sort. Then cut fabric based on the shape of the template.... just unsure there. In general I don't really understand how these templates are to be utilized properly.

Any help would be most appreciated!

Hey folks... I can search around a bit but off hand I am not certain where they are either... I have seen them in the past so I made mention of it.

If I can source it/them, I will link it here as I will need to re-review them as well for my new digs.

\m/

Guest Penn Chemist

Ah OK, I did come across the post referenced above. And there are some great reference photos.

I know this is probably rudimentary, but how are said templates utilized? Sure I can print that out on a standard sheet of paper, but then what? It won't obviously be size properly for everyone. How does one work with them in scaling to their suit/body? Maybe I'm asking a silly question, but I'm very new to this. Not sure how to use these.

Same goes for those bold enough to attempt armor working themselves. I've seen templates for them as well, but lack the knowledge of how they actually become useful. Haven't seen anyone else address this so maybe it is a silly question.

Ah, additionally I want to attempt to fabricate my own soft parts. I see the pouch template sticky above and it looks good, but again I lack the ability to see how those printed on paper can be useful. How are they made size appropriate and useful in that sense?

Hey their Bryan... Not silly questions... as I have had the same thoughts about image templates on certain people as we are all different shapes and sizes.

I do not think that any template translates to all that use it. (my TK armor back in the day did not fit me in the legs as I am 6"4" as it was made for folks a bit shorter)

With adding the suede, I guess my plan is to use the image to create my own stencil based upon my under-suit and leg/crotch/butt size (yes, I left lots of room for jokes there)... :lol:

I plan to use as many photo references as I can find of Scouts with these add-ons as well as ILM Scout pictures.

Then it is a matter of sketching a rough idea of the template translated to my body type. Once I am good with the sketch, I will draw a solid marker line and cut it out to use as my own personalized template. I will cut the suede to match and then hand sew the suede. Seems like a lot of work but with one template made - you just mirror it to you other leg - no need to make two.

The butt flap seems fairly straight forward.

My 2 cents and I hope it helps (fingers crossed for me too!)

\m/

• 1 month later...

Back to the original post linking to the flightsuit with vest attached... if I bought one like it, would it require any modifications or would it be approvable as-is?

I see the coveralls are way cheaper, but since I have zero sewing experience (and since I'm planning to try to make the bund/boots myself), I'd like to at least be able to get the flightsuit/vest already done.

Back to the original post linking to the flightsuit with vest attached... if I bought one like it, would it require any modifications or would it be approvable as-is?

I see the coveralls are way cheaper, but since I have zero sewing experience (and since I'm planning to try to make the bund/boots myself), I'd like to at least be able to get the flightsuit/vest already done.

I can't sew my way out of a paper bag but mine turned out great. You can do it too! But, if you are looking for a great suit and vest, contact Deb (LadySewForUs). She's got a topic thread here -- > http://forum.bikerscout.net/index.php?showtopic=6013&hl=&fromsearch=1

Hi - I am definitely a fan of Lady Sew for Us's work that I've seen, but unfortunately she currently has about an 8-month backlog! And I had planned for this to be my summer project that I would like to be ready to go by August....

So I would certainly be interested in upgrading to a better-quality suit/vest later. But for now (especially given that I'm already planning to trim/assemble the helmet & armor and at least give it a shot to make the boots and cummerbund) I would like to know what modifications (if any) would be required to the suit/vest shown on that link to make them 501st approved, or if they are approvable as-is.

Thanks much!

Hi - I am definitely a fan of Lady Sew for Us's work that I've seen, but unfortunately she currently has about an 8-month backlog! And I had planned for this to be my summer project that I would like to be ready to go by August....

So I would certainly be interested in upgrading to a better-quality suit/vest later. But for now (especially given that I'm already planning to trim/assemble the helmet & armor and at least give it a shot to make the boots and cummerbund) I would like to know what modifications (if any) would be required to the suit/vest shown on that link to make them 501st approved, or if they are approvable as-is.

Thanks much!

I sent you a PM...;)

I have the same question as JenB :P I'm trying to get a suit built by September and was wondering the same thing. I am making the boots myself, and wondering if I should also make the cummerbund myself as well.

I don't want to make a flight suit myself with suede because I don't have all that much sewing experience.