2nd KS helmet. Need advice.

So after a not-so-nice email to KS, I was promised two things. A new and proper cummerbund and a new helmet. If you read my last post on the helmet, the ear was wrinkled up and the helmet itself actually came in two different colors. I just received my new helmet and cummerbund. Needless to say, I should have expected problems, again. The cummerbund, while the proper color this time, is about four inches too small to fit around my waist. Lovely, I know. But now to the helmet. While it is one color, the ear is still not straight. It is not as bad as the first helmet, but I don't know if this is liveable or not. I have included a link here. Please let me know if this is something that just happens in the forming process or if I need to send it back, again. there is a small blemish on the chin and the ear, is as you can see, still wrinkled. I am to the point now, where I question if I should have ever started this whole thing. Thank you again.

015.jpg

016.jpg

018.jpg

020.jpg

019.jpg

021.jpg

I also have a KS helmet. While mine was not 2 different colors (that's really bad) mine has the two imperfections that yours (in this post) has. You can see my submission pictures here --> http://forum.bikerscout.net/index.php?showtopic=9137&st=40

For me they were no big deal. A little back ground, I am a tool & die maker. I always thought the things that were "made" toys, plastic items etc. were "perfect", Tool & die beat that out of me :) There is tolerance built into everything and imperfections happen. You cannot see them at all in my helmet. I know that they are there, but no one and I really mean no one will ever see them. Except for me. My biggest problem with the KS helmet (I have no experience with any others) is that I had to take a heat gun to every part to get them to fit properly (I got the kit). The base was too wide; the visor was too wide for the face plate. The top was twisted. But I assume that every build has their own little problems inherent in the process of how they are made.

I don't mean to beat up on KS. It's a great helmet! I love mine, and I really enjoyed building it myself. I guess what I'm saying is that I doubt there is a "perfect" helmet. The real question is can you live with it? I know I can :)

Mine too had flaws and also took some time, patience, and upgrades (3m bolts, snout, decals, paint, etc). BUT, I love my KS helmet even though it's not perfect. :ph34r:B)

My experience:

http://forum.bikerscout.net/index.php?showtopic=8322&hl=%22ks+armor%22&fromsearch=1

helmet-side2.jpg

It's liveable, trust me. No one will know but you. Just get that snout and sticker off, hinge bolts off, and stickers off, then upgrade all of those, and you'll be looking good in no time.

for me... I'd say no.

What did you pay for that?? $150+.

If it isn't what you're happy with, then it's not worth it. It's not a question of, is this OK and just how it is....

You were not sold a bucket with the knowledge that it would be all wrinkled etc.

But that's just me being a grumpy old swine.

Jeff doesn't sell bad pulls (from what I've seen) and neither does MonCal. So why should it be accepted from KS.

Just updating everyone, and not trying to hijack this thread, but the four sets I got yesterday have similar issues. We got three white sets and one black, and unfortunately the black is worse. It also seems the plastic for the back of the helmet is different. It seems REALLY thin as compared to the other pieces. Can someone who had the KS kit shed some light on this? I know for sure I am sending back the black back piece to be replaced.

for me... I'd say no.

What did you pay for that?? $150+.

If it isn't what you're happy with, then it's not worth it. It's not a question of, is this OK and just how it is....

You were not sold a bucket with the knowledge that it would be all wrinkled etc.

But that's just me being a grumpy old swine.

Jeff doesn't sell bad pulls (from what I've seen) and neither does MonCal. So why should it be accepted from KS.

I am going to keep it, mostly because I fear if I don't, I will never get started here. I am already months behind and have missed several troops for not other reason than because I have had to wait on this armor and helmet. I will be purchasing a better one soon. I am going to chalk it up as a lesson learned and move on. Maybe this will be a good helmet for some battle damage. I am with you, I am grumpy too and I don't like shoddy equipment in my profession, let alone my hobby.

Just updating everyone, and not trying to hijack this thread, but the four sets I got yesterday have similar issues. We got three white sets and one black, and unfortunately the black is worse. It also seems the plastic for the back of the helmet is different. It seems REALLY thin as compared to the other pieces. Can someone who had the KS kit shed some light on this? I know for sure I am sending back the black back piece to be replaced.

You aren't hijacking this. Mine (both that I have received) are thin around the back as well. I began working on it last night and found that the back already was trying to warp. I formed some plastic strips and glued them to the bottom rim in the back which helped a bit.

you'll find it's thin on the back because it's such a large pull.

The bigger the bit that gets pulled, the thinner it will be in the middle areas.

That's why the original bucket was made in two halves, rather than one big section across the back with the dome on top.