KS helmet - kit or finished?

Hi - I'm looking at doing a Scout costume, but would first like to know - does the KS helmet work out best (in terms of fit, etc) when bought finished, or is it generally ready to go if bought assembled/finished?

Thanks!

Jen

It depends how picky you are. If you're not picky at all, then the finished version is best. If you're picky, you might decide to get a kit and assemble it to your personal standards.

I originally had mine built but without the stickers and snout. I chose (somewhat impulsively) to disassemble the helmet and reassemble it to correct what I thought was a slightly inaccurate build. That said, I'm super picky about accuracy so keep that in mind.

If you're handy, assembling the helmet (preferably with super-sticky outdoor double sided tape) is not too bad. If you want it accurate, you'd need another snout greeblie and more accurate stickers and hinge bolts than what come with the assembled bucket.

If budget is an issue and you're handy, the kit is best as you can assemble and build the whole thing for less than what it costs to have it built and you can be sure it fits you just right.

Hope that info helps you out and welcome to BSN!

Whatr Dart said. I got mine pre-built, but have since built 2 for other troopers, and the last one I built actually looked better then mine lol. It's up to you and the confidence, or help you have.

I echo what Dart and Chex have said...it all depends on your comfort level with building it. There's nothing wrong with getting a pre-built helmet. Just keep in mind that there are still things that you will need to do to it (decal, snout replacements, etc). :)

I’m having mine built. Other buckets I can do because I have an idea how they go together. The Scout I have no clue and don’t want to risk messing up something, although im sure I could fix whatever I mess up. But I don’t want to mess with that.

Also, I really don’t have lots of time to do stuff like that. So if you don’t have time you need to have money.

Thanks for the advice! At this point I'm thinking I'd like to try the kit, but would probably need to wait till summer when I will have more time!

• 10 months later...
I ordered the KS kit. I've already assembled a Trooper bucket. So to me, the Biker Scout helmet looks easier

You should have no problem with it if you've already put together a TK lid. They're both tricky in different ways though.

I'm holding a friend's KS helmet now (helped him swap out snout greeble). He bought it assembled. The face is kinda crooked and that double sided tape is gonna make fixing it tough.

Am I right in assuming that 501st requires filling and sanding the seam around the dome? That's gonna be tricky. With ABS being so flexible, how do you not have that splitting every time you put it on?

Am I right in assuming that 501st requires filling and sanding the seam around the dome? That's gonna be tricky.

Not for basic acceptance. I never filled it in on mine anyway.

Chris... did you know if you get a load of ABS, cut it up into tiny bits, stick it in Acetone and leave it over night, it melts down into a kind of paste.

You can use this as a filler for the gap. It bonds to the original surface and tends to stick much better than adding bondo or the likes.

If you're really clever, you can then sand it back to the right shape, and might not even need to paint the bucket (but you'd have to be very good...).

Just a thought.

That's good to know. I actually have a 4x4 sheet of ABS in the garage right now, unfortunately, it's black. Does that work on regular styrene too? I've got lots of scraps of white styrene from my many failed attempts at learning to vac-form.

Works with HIPS and ABS... others I don't know.... never tried it.

Get a small jam jar (or other glass receptacle with an air tight lid). Bung some Acetone in and plastic, leave it overnight and see what you get in the morning.

Not going to cost you much if it doesn't work.

I have a pot sitting in my workshop. Comes in handy!

• 2 weeks later...

Normally dry within 24 hours or so.

It is a filler material, and acetone does mess with plastic (otherwise it wouldn't melt in the first place), so caution must be exercised when using this method.

If the area you are trying to fill is large, I suggest you use small bits first and build up gradually. Try a small test area to make sure there are no unwanted effects.

As with all these things, it is user responsibility.

I have used the method myself with success, but I cannot accept responsibility for it, should it all go pear shaped. You are dealing with a substance that melts plastic. Don't forget that.

Chef

No worries I know it is at my own risk. Kind of like taking off at a hospital heliport and no control tower. Not certain if I will use it. Had not heard or thought about that method before. So figured i would ask. Thanks for the info