Real Boots

Guest Kilo-Sierra-21

Philipp, you'd need to modify that sole pattern. On the heel there is a horizontal strip that went around the heel on the screen used boots.

If I recall, it was because the boots were of and older design.

You can see it here...

washko_024_scout_boot01.jpg

I'd much rather point that out now.... than make a run and someone get up in arms about it.

I know - once we have someone on it that was planned anyways. I alread marked the lines for the ridges on the sole

Piece of cake Rob once put into 3DS Max. It'll need some cleaning up, but the textures look ace (they're the hard bits!!!).

I'll post up the attempt I made from scratch later so you can see what can be done so to speak.

Disclaimer: I'm still learning so patience is essential. Us artistic types can be a touch sensitive (eh rob??? ;) ).

We'll get there eventually chaps. It's taken a long time to get this far, so a little longer will be worth the wait!!!

cool, just like to cover the bases.

I'd hate to think I just assumed you'd thought of it and kept quiet, then the mistake is discovered when it's too late.

Sensitive....

I'm not sure anyone has ever described me as sensitive. Abrasive... possibly.

I wouldn't put you in the sensitive category either for that matter!

• Like 1

I know that feeling from various projects where I voiced opinions and even then details got neglected ;)

But be assured - I wouldn't have spent so many $$$ to forget about that detail on the finishing line.

That's the reason why I'm trying to get the best people and infra structure on the project.

Details like the diamond patterns of the toe tip and side panels are probably no problem for a boot company.

If limited to Scout needs it can be neglected as it will be covered and might be less difficult to glue or sew on

the "chaps" later on.

I have a question to Andy about his contacts to the company. Did the guy said anything about minimum quantities each size?

We probably need quite a base of interest and should mobilize rebel endor commandos as well using the same boot base.

My guess is that it would need at least 100 pieces per size to justify the tools and keep the boot at an expensive but affordable

price for collectors.

I'd order 3 for two Biker Versions and an endor commando ;) but would we get the needed interest and numbers seeing how content

peopleare with their bulky work boot substitutes?

That is the question.

Well, my line would be "can you put this sole on the latest design of boot you do??"

The actual upper part is really of no consequence to us, as it will be covered over anyway.

So as long as the general shape is in the same ballpark then we're good.

And the sole pattern won't matter to most members of the general populous because they'll be standing on it 99.5% of the time.

Obviously, they'll still get sales because people buy their boots, but their appeal will increase, because all of us nerds will be buying them rather than the hiking style boots we all buy currently.

WIN WIN for everyone.

Chaps if you go back a page you'll see the email that the Global Director sent me. It confirmed what I'd already spoke to him on the phone about. I think that approaching Hi-Tec to do a run would be worth a go but I'm not sure he was just being polite when I asked about it.

From the way this thread is going I'm not sure we're really getting anywhere tbh. So I'll ask the question: Are we gonna make these ourselves or go to Hi-Tec? I' spent two hours today convincing our machine shop the virtues of milling some sole moulds for us. They are up for it but I'm not going to waste their time if we're just gonna approach Hi-tec. They can also clean up the 3D scans and add the missing sole details. They are up for a challenge and I think this is it. They are relatively quite for the rest of this month and then they're going to be maxed out until the end of September!!

Sorry to be like this gents but we need to make a collective decision and make a start. Having looked through this thread, it's still where it started.

I don't wish to sound derisory or insulting to anyone, as I want the same outcome as you but I really don't have any more spare capacity myself or wish to waste the time of a fully loaded machine shop needlessly.

On the flip side we could do both!!! If the Hi-Tec approach is no good then we've lost nothing.

Discuss :blink:

What about contacting Palladium Boots too? They currently offer a canvas boot/shoe that is really similar to the Hi-Tech originals. Perhaps they would be open to a boot/shoe with the scout soles. Plus, they are available to most parts of the world.

http://www.palladiumboots.co.uk/

I think in the initial sense.... contacting people such as Hi-Tec and Palladium and shooting the query across their bows to see if they are up for it will in the grand scheme of it, cost nothing.

It's covering that base.

If that's a non-starter, we've lost nothing as you say, and we're good to go with your fine chaps.

Currently Andy, your bit seems the most solid, without a doubt, but let's not ignore the sniper shot from the flanks!

The best course of action would be to approach some of these overseas boot makers and see if they can give a rough estimate as to a cost per unit for boots.

At least this way, it would give a good idea of if it's feasible or not.

That would be my view.

Andy is pushy due to the small window of opportunity - I can understand that.

So how about refreshing the contact that already existed and try get some more in depth answers quickly?

I can't imagine they will use that design again for a broad market.

So minimum figures per size and the costs are important.

The next peoblem in the case we let it produce by company is handling and distribution!

We have to develop a plan then too.

Should there be an adaption for the mass market it would be a marvel - really.

In case of Andy's proposal we would have propper tools to make soles and would need to find an upper boot base

and the know how to combine these two elements.

What sizes do we need or which size would cover most of the demand? Another question we have to solve in case of

limited runs.

Hi Andy, please let me know if I can be of any assistance. My background is graphic design and illustration, and I worked with sportswear companies / apparel for 10+ years. I then went into game development as a 3D artists and modeler, and art director / creative director for 16 years. My last 2 years at EA, I conceived and helped design soft goods and hard goods (electronics, injection molded plastics, ABS extrusion, etc for peripherals) which were manufactured in China. I did a lot of technical drawings and collaborated with manufacturers in China as well as marketing departments and focus research.

I agree with what people have said so far, maybe touch base with Paladium or someone that makes a similar boot and see if they could modify it. We could also approach a Chinese manufacturer and see if they can make the boots from scratch. Most western companies want to produce much higher quantities and have more focused markets (eg: they want to know they can sell X number of product in X countries and create a high enough order to bring costs down. Making 5000 units of something is a flash in the pan / cheap compared to 100 of something.

Molds like the ones required for boots and shoes are very costly to make. I had to work with a designer and industrial design company to create the 3D CAD models for the manufacturer, and the molds cost thousands of dollars. Of course, you need one set of injection molds for each size of boot, plus there's a left and right!

One approach is to propose the boot as a shoe / design that company X can sell / manufacture on their own and release to market, and just state we have "some interested customers" ready to purchase them (a very small number really, I think we would be lucky if there were 300 people who knew what these boots were and wanted to use them for Scouts or Rebel Troopers. This number is potentially not high enough for an exclusive run).

It's likely they would want to CAD the molds themselves. Even if we did clean up the model, they would want certain cuts or reliefs to aid in the manufacturing of the soles, which something we might need to compromise on. From a legal perspective, they may (if they don't want to get in legal trouble) want to remove any of the original logos / branding. Yes, China makes a lot of knock off stuff, but trust me - you don't want to be the person paying a company to knock it off...

One question I had was, would we want them to make the boots exactly like the originals using a canvas upper? Or is the idea to actually make the uppers out of white vinyl / leather material? Do we want people to glue on the vinyl like we do now with hiking boots, or more idealized like TK boots? Obviously, canvas ones can be used for Rebel troopers too.

Anyways, some food for thought. Cool discussion here!

I dont think you want to idealize them, theres no point having an uber accurate sole only to have a non accurate top in my mind. As Chef says accurate sole and a reasonable boot top for us to cover just like they did in the film for the win

Thing is, if we produce an accurate boot we would also have rebel commandos in the boat.

However we should first be sure weather or not a company was able to make an acceptable offer.

This has to happen quickly and using propper material and numbers.

If that fails we News to go the Rocks road doing it ourselves.

So I think we have one with contacts, one with skills and one with the source material.

Let's try to her simething worked out.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Dead end atm actually.

I myself wasn't available here and able to pursue the case as I had and still have quite a good deal

of work on the private side of things.

I am still open to proposals but I am carefull which road to go and whom to provide with materials without

knowing what happens. I need trustworthy and honest people working on this project!

I want the best option possible for any scouts or rebels out there who want to go that extra mile.

And unfortunately that takes time to get to know people and then things actually done.

Before anything starts:

- we need to refine the 3D CAD material

- we need to convince the company or someone else to do it (my preference the company)

- we need to raise and rally the interest parties with a definate order to fill a minimum production number

- we need to find a way to distribute the boots - someone has to order these and then distribute them to the people...(problems: bulk imports, taxes) I doubt that a company like that distributes to end users but one

distributor.

- in worst case we need to explore the best way to reproduce these on our own (-> i.e. crow)

I already invested a lot obtaining the boots and I am not interested letting them go and have them taken apart

without the guarantee there will be a top notch product for all in return!

Especially regarding longevity and durability I have high expectations as people probably will have to pay

quite a price for it and thus I don't accept anything of less quality than what I hold in my hands!

I regard it my highest priority that the reproduction of these boots doesn't end up in an exploit of the community

and people getting poop for $$$.

First step before approaching a company as proposed would be to have a project group and some numbers.

Ideally we use the chance and go by screen accurate getting the rebel commandos in the boat as well.

Second step kicking of at the same time is finding a professional CAD engineer among us that is able to

reproduce and correct the sole pattern on the base of the scan.

Third step is approaching the company and make sure to brief them as precise as possible.

I don't know if the guy who made contact is also native speaker - I learned that you sometimes have problems

to get details across and understand at the receiving end.

If company option fails we have to rely on crafters among us which means trade-offs.

For example level of quality in materials and build -> durability/longevity, missing steel shank in this case etc.

for a similar price.

• 4 months later...

Hey Philipp, I tried to send you a pm but I the forum said you could not receive any new messages. Is your inbox full?

I have a proposal that I would like to talk to you about.

• 2 months later...

If you can find for me a sierra sneakers pair I will can make soles alum molds as I made with the Jango Boots:

Down the replica sole and up the original:

IMG_0152.jpg

I made 5 sizes:

15052012024.jpg

Finishing the replica

IMG_20120702_131516.jpg

Final replica Jango:

IMG_20120702_162832.jpgIMG_20120827_134030.jpg

So, is possible to make a replica, if the 3d scan files can be send to me I will try to make a CNC alum mold for the Sierra Sneakers soles.

Gio

• 1 month later...

if you need help with the producing the 3d CAD let me know as I use cad at work and shouldn't be difficult to replicate

Thanks so much, this is a generous offer, I am wondering if is enough the soles pics that round over here from the sierra boots to make a DWG file?