Flight suit modification for tall guys?

mxpxrobbie

Hey guys - I found a flight suit at our local military surplus store... fits me great, except for the fact that I'm a tall guy and the suit is quite...um...snug... in the crotchal region...

Have any of you had any issues making a flightsuit taller by cutting it in half and adding to the middle? Either that or doing something to make the crotch just a bit lower?

Hay Robbie i have to do tthe reverse and make mine shorter, Being an ex-engineer i'am quite stocky but have little legs lol, i think the best for you would be to add some to the middle so not to ruine the line of the legs also by doing this your work will be hidden under the bund and armour

I adjusted the "stride" in my jumpsuit to accommodate my 6"2 height. It's kind of like lowering the crotch seam. ;)

Care to explain how you did that? I'm 6'3" and this thing is giving me a serious moose knuckle, haha

So you know, you don't have to use a flight suit. I've got the same issue as yourself and I find it's easier to just get a set of coveralls in a long size. Black should be easy enough to find and if you're lucky, you won't have many zips and pockets to cover up/remove. Only downside is that some coveralls are made from a thicker material, but if you're crafty you can cut some strategically hidden vents in the chest/back to help in that department. ;)

So you know, you don't have to use a flight suit. I've got the same issue as yourself and I find it's easier to just get a set of coveralls in a long size. Black should be easy enough to find and if you're lucky, you won't have many zips and pockets to cover up/remove. Only downside is that some coveralls are made from a thicker material, but if you're crafty you can cut some strategically hidden vents in the chest/back to help in that department. ;)

Yeah, I thought about that, but I didn't like how the coveralls were so stiff. The flight suit will work, it just needs a couple more inches. I should be able to cut it in half right below the zipper and just add some similar fabric. Would be an invisible mod once the cummerbund is on. Either that, or cut out the crotch and lower it just a bit. This would also be invisible because of the bottom part of the bund.

Hi Robbie, :)

I would do as you first suggested. Remove the zipper, rip out the stitches at the middle line and add the same amount of fabric all the way around the waist area, front and back. It would then look like a waistband. Replace the zipper and then if needed add a snap between the re-sewn zipper and the collar.

Good luck with your mods!

Debbi

• Like 1

Care to explain how you did that? I'm 6'3" and this thing is giving me a serious moose knuckle, haha

I went with a Redkap coverall for my jumpsuit. It was inexpensive, and only had 4 pocket (2 front, 2 rear) to remove. The size is a L and Redkap lets you pick your chest, waist, length, etc. So I went with my biz suit size. It was really spot on, but the crotch was a little high and uncomfortable when I walked. So, I ripped the crotch seams out, and lowered it a bit. It sounds horrible, but was really nothing to do. If I can, you can!

Since then I found some faux suede and elastic at a fabric store for $10. :)

I went with a Redkap coverall for my jumpsuit. It was inexpensive, and only had 4 pocket (2 front, 2 rear) to remove. The size is a L and Redkap lets you pick your chest, waist, length, etc. So I went with my biz suit size. It was really spot on, but the crotch was a little high and uncomfortable when I walked. So, I ripped the crotch seams out, and lowered it a bit. It sounds horrible, but was really nothing to do. If I can, you can!

Since then I found some faux suede and elastic at a fabric store for $10. :)

Awesome, sounds like a plan! Mine fits great when standing still, but if I crouch at all it's insta-pain, haha

Hi Robbie, :)

I would do as you first suggested. Remove the zipper, rip out the stitches at the middle line and add the same amount of fabric all the way around the waist area, front and back. It would then look like a waistband. Replace the zipper and then if needed add a snap between the re-sewn zipper and the collar.

Good luck with your mods!

Debbi

FLIGHTSUIT.jpg

This is what my suit looks like. The two options are shown above... It seems like the bottom version would be easier... what are the down-sides to doing it this way? The only thing I can see is it would make the legs shorter, which would be OK too.

I really don't have a good suggestion as how to lower the crotch area. You are not going to have any extra fabric on the suit to work with. The only thing I could think of would be to add a "gusset". This is a triangular type patch. But I have not ever made one. I personally would not do this.

Check out this blog to get an idea.

http://www.fashion-incubator.com/archive/adding-a-gusset-to-pants-pt2/

:)

So if I go with your suggestion above, taking the suit apart and adding the fabric... what if I cut it underneath where the zipper ends and add the fabric all around there? I'm afraid to mess it up by taking the zipper out...

So if I go with your suggestion above, taking the suit apart and adding the fabric... what if I cut it underneath where the zipper ends and add the fabric all around there? I'm afraid to mess it up by taking the zipper out...

Hm, I supposed that could be done. And it would not be seen, the only thing I would not be sure of is what that will do to the way it fits in the butt. Once completed, it may feel odd. On a typical pants pattern, there is a curve at the crotch. What if you added the fabric around the waist, but tapered the "waistband" so that you are not affecting the zipper.

What if you made a tapered waistband, in the back only. I made up a very elementary "paint" drawing as an example.

Maybe this would help.

biker.jpg

• Like 1

Debbi, that's a great idea! I think that if the butt portion was a bit lower that would alleviate the front problem too! I think I'll test this out on something else first so I don't mess up the suit... Off to Goodwill for some ill-fitting pants!

I know the original question was about a flightsuit, but I used a racing suit and replaced the zipper with velcro so it would be softer and lay flatter. It also helps when you can unfasten -part- of the closure to use the restroom without completely disrobing.

I am a novice at sewing but this was not difficult to do.

I bring this up because I think you could easily lengthen a flightsuit by adding additional fabric in the middle as you suggested, but use velcro instead of a zipper to seal the whole thing back up.