My Altmans Helmet

ukscout

Today I've just received in my post my first Altman Helmet to add to my collection of scouts helmets.

I currently own a DP & a unfinished MLC v1.0, after several years being out bid on ebay I've managed to purchase one from a UK forum member.

Upon my quick look at work the snout detail looks ok but not screen accurate, grey decals look too dark etc...

The question is should I alter the helmet i.e make it more screen accurate by upgrading parts and decals?

also would this de-value the helmet?

I'll post pics soon of all the helmets

I'm not decided if I should do some minor upgrades to the helmet or keep it the way it is?

It's feels and looks better than DP helmets but dose not fully open like the DP & MLC lids I have

in my collection

the helmet is going to be a displayed in my sons room and not trooped in

I've retired from trooping some years ago and have concentrated my efforts on my poster and prop

collection over the years

I would try to stop myself improving all the wee things wrong with it. It is quite a collectable at the minute, better getting a helmet kit and making it look good instead.

This.

Hi guys,

Well after a long think I'm going to leave the helmet in it's original condition due to the history of the helmet

and will do a screen accurate helmet in the new year i.e the LW helmet ;)

I've not had chance too take any photo's but below are the pics from the ebay page I've kept.

Not owning a Altman helmet before the construction is very solid, the paint finish is good too

considering that the helmet was made in 1996.

The rear decals are ok and the applied position bugs me a bit

Didn't realise that the dome and back cap are separate and have been glued together, I thought that this

was produced as 1 part.

The visor dose not fully open like on the DP, LW and MLC helmet

The lens colour used is similar to the screen used helmet

The snout detail seems to be poorly made by Altman which is a shame considering that this

helmet was one of the best replica helmets he produced.

The Snout part has a number of fins have not been cast correctly or where broken when pulled out of the mould. :unsure:

392779_10150387430450974_731015973_8673580_1362848611_n.jpg392929_10150387430470974_731015973_8673581_975962632_n.jpg

376239_10150387430500974_731015973_8673582_1063137405_n.jpg378554_10150387430425974_731015973_8673579_2109525555_n.jpg

Also I was hoping to get my hands on a rare black (stealth) Altman TB helmet but got out bid twice on too seporate auctions

on ebay for it.....more info coming soon!!!

thanks for the comments guys, apologies for the lack of new images against my DP and MLC v1 I trying too finish off

some private work before xmas.

But I do have 2wks off at xmas and should be able to do these photo's, but in the mean time if anyone needs a particular

pic of the helmet PLMK

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

posted some pics of my son Brin (5ys old) wearing my Altmann helmet.

Matt - sadly I'm not selling this lid :(

Also the cap and ear section I call the wrap with the ear vents has been glued and riveted together

which until now I did'nt realise that the Altmann helmets where constructed this way

here's a photo of gap between the dome cap and the ear vent wrap section

403792_10150440507595974_731015973_8867215_1614908095_n.jpg

photo of the rear of the helmet

400108_10150440507430974_731015973_8867213_1505695754_n.jpg

side view of the Altmann helmet with a MR Boba helmet to give you an idea of scale of the scout helmet

408415_10150440507175974_731015973_8867210_625719048_n.jpg

387300_10150440507300974_731015973_8867212_7573176_n.jpg

403647_10150440507060974_731015973_8867209_648619765_n.jpg

photo of my son Brinley wearing the lid at an angle so the orange/brown visor lens can be seen

382576_10150440506805974_731015973_8867207_930023823_n.jpg

Hey Neil,

Thanks for those pics. It has been so long since holding an Altmann's that I had forgotten about the dome/wrap connection. I thought that they were one piece. (huh... maybe that Shadow Scout was for real - although the trimings looked rough for an Altmann's).

They all - Altmann's - come with the amber lens though so that is true to form.

\m/

Hey Neil,

Thanks for those pics. It has been so long since holding an Altmann's that I had forgotten about the dome/wrap connection. I thought that they were one piece. (huh... maybe that Shadow Scout was for real - although the trimings looked rough for an Altmann's).

They all - Altmann's - come with the amber lens though so that is true to form.

\m/

Nah that is how Altmans are mines the same with the seperate dome / back.

hi ukscout,

May I request a comparison pics of your MLC v1 and Altman? Thanks!!

The Altmanns is a much bigger bucket than the MLCv3 its alot more rounded looking, I can get my head in mine without liftng the visor where as the MLC only just fits on my head wih the visor lifted. Height wise their about the same.

hi ukscout,

May I request a comparison pics of your MLC v1 and Altman? Thanks!!

Hey kabuto,

If ukscout or Marcel sell me their Altmann's bucket, I would be more than happy to post MLC vs. Altmann's comparison pics. (he-he-he) :lol:

Someday I will find another Altmann's....

\m/

FYI the MLC lids origin is from a DP helmet I sent MLC as I wanted a more robust helmet for trooping in as i went thro

2 don post helmets whilst trooping at events over the years..... then the MLC helmets where born :P

pics of these helmets will be on here soon once I put the xmas tree away in the loft :mellow:

The Altmanns is a much bigger bucket than the MLCv3 its alot more rounded looking, I can get my head in mine without liftng the visor where as the MLC only just fits on my head wih the visor lifted. Height wise their about the same.

4505Marcel, Thank you for that information as I haven't seen an actual Altmann it helps me visualize the size :)

Hey kabuto,

If ukscout or Marcel sell me their Altmann's bucket, I would be more than happy to post MLC vs. Altmann's comparison pics. (he-he-he) :lol:

Someday I will find another Altmann's....

\m/

Grendel_Blitz, I hope you do find a Altmann helmet this year :D

FYI the MLC lids origin is from a DP helmet I sent MLC as I wanted a more robust helmet for trooping in as i went thro

2 don post helmets whilst trooping at events over the years..... then the MLC helmets where born :P

pics of these helmets will be on here soon once I put the xmas tree away in the loft :mellow:

ukscout, so I would consider you as the father and MLC as the mother who gave birth on the MLCV1,2,3 :lol:

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

okay I've managed to source some actual snout parts used to make the original snout detail i.e. model kit parts.

Last night I put this part from a kit I've recently bought from Japan up againsts my Altmann helmet and realised

that the Altmann snout detail looks like is not cast from a screen used helmet but instead looks like it's been

made from scratch as the size and details are way off.

So it's got me thinking that was the Altmann helmet cast and modified from a screen used helmet? starting to think

it may of not been following the other non accurate star wars helmets Steve Altmann made over the years.

I've post comparison pics soon