EFX to make a Biker Scout helmet from the original molds

lonewolf

If they were going to faithfully recreate the original, then it really should have been done in ABS, and in the same process (i.e., two halves, a la the LW one) no matter how convenient or financially acceptable.

GRP lids can be very strong, depending on how they are laid-up. if they are made with only a couple of skins of tissue then they will always be very frangible.

If they are made with some serious beef behind them, then they are very resilient.

After all, that's how real motorcycle helmets and some car body panels are made.

I think it's just a question of economics for them.

It's expensive to make moulds for GRP in terms of time and they take longer to make than pulling an ABS one, but when it is done you have very little to do in terms of 'finishing'. They don't need to be painted etc.

Where as whilst pulling an ABS one takes a fraction of the time, the complexity of construction afterwards (as any LW builder will attest to) probably makes them not financially viable to make in this method.

That would be my take on the reasons.

Either way, some people won't be happy with the product, but they will invariably all sell because enough people will want one no matter what.

Hey gang,

Finally back from CVI weekend and I had an opportunity to have some detailed conversations with Bryan Ono at the eFX booth.

Here is what he told me thus far... The displays are ONLY proto-types until the manufaturere gets the actual builds.

The "Limited" will be 1000 qty run all clean made in fiberglass.

The "Legend" will be offered in 100 or 500 qty (cannot rememeber which he said).

The weathered one is the "Legend" and what makes this a Legend is that the helmet top, bottom and face plate will be cast in ABS.

Bryan tells me that the visor will need to be cast in fiberglass due to manufacturing limitations

( do not know why so please do not shoot the messangger ;) ).

I also asked about a clean Legend and he said they did not know for certain but the weathered may be the only offered Legend Edition.

Know for the BAD news (for many)...

Projected pricing for the Limited may be $499-$599 and the Legend may be $899. Hurts!!!

Some BETTER news: eFX will not be taking pre-orders until the end of the year so that give many of us some time to save $$$.

NOTE: One more important thing is that eFX will be smoothing the inside of the visor on both so the fiberglass texture will not be seen.

The inside visor will be smooth. Also, the visor on the Legend is better lined up where it meets the dome so this may also be corrected with the actual builds on both.

My take is that the Limited is really nice up close despite some less than acurate details.

The Legend is also nice but the weathering is just black paint spritz and not a good representation of a weathered look.

I will probably focus my attention on the Limited version.

Now for pics::: \m/

IMG_0062.jpg

IMG_0063.jpg

IMG_0064.jpg

• Like 1

Someone asked a good question on RS:

If the visor is fiberglass and the dome is abs' date=' does that mean they will age + look differnyt over time with the abs somewhat yellowing from any indirect sunlight?That will look odd. I hope efx consider this in their decision.[/quote']

Very interesting point! Two different materials = two different ways of aging, no matter if painted or not.

• 3 months later...

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!! BUMP !!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Has anyone recieved any news on this pre-sale date? Back in August, Gino mentioned that pre-sales would begin in later Fall.

Well, here we are and so far I have no more news. I would love some intell from a solid source.

The eFX site does not give any info on the project at all so their site is not very reliable for info.

Please post here with any news.

Thanks!!!

~ Grendel_Blitz \m/

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!! BUMP !!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Has anyone recieved any news on this pre-sale date? Back in August, Gino mentioned that pre-sales would begin in later Fall. Well, here we are and so far I have no more news. I would love some intell from a solid source. The eFX site does not give any info on the project at all so their site is not very reliable for info. Please post here with any news. Thanks!!! ~ Grendel_Blitz \m/

Welcome back Matt...where ya been hiding?! I have not heard anything on this one. But, I'm as interested as you! :)

Hey Jim (Griffin-X). Had a bit of a crazy end-of-Summer into Fall. Took me off the online grid for a bit.

I put my house on the market, quite my job, relocated to South Florida, found a new job and am in the process of getting jerked around by the bank on the home sale again. Love real estate!!!

All is well again and the dust is settling and I plan to be more active here again.

I am suprised that there is not much update news on the eFX Scout lid. When the news hit it was like wild fire on the forumns.

Now - NADA!

I hope to get the inside scoop soon.

\m/

To be honest with all the recent problems eFX had with the Luke helmet (scratches, paint rubs, stickers), Vader helmet (paint rubs, scratches, no communication and long time wait for repalcements) and right now with the wings of the TIE I really hope the Scout helmet will live to our expectations...

• 7 months later...

I haven't heard anything in a long time. It didn't appear at ComicCom, but an entire set of TK armor did, so maybe it was put on the back burner.

It seems the eFX TK armor is taking up most of the limelight at the moment. It does look cool, but a 2k pricetag is a bit steep. Heck, maybe eFX will offer scout armor along with the bucket. ;)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
Guest Gosdent

Just an update on this helmet (sort of! )

I was lucky enough to get the opportunity to model the prototype eFX Legend stormtrooper armor for the company at New York Comic Con this year, and during my time with them, I was able to handle the Scout personally. It was pretty amazing! And I don't mean to correct anyone, but from what Gino told me that day at the booth as well as from examining inside it, the entire helmet is fiberglass. It seemed lighter than what we are used to expecting of a fiberglass helmet, but I'm pretty positive it wasn't ABS.

Here's a shot of me having my fun with the Scout bucket before I had to get to work:

D5E467BF-42EF-4507-AA24-38E530C2D862-717-0000007CEECE2EE4_zps1a5c43dd.jpg

Gosdent - with the ability to speak with Gino and be an insider, did you not ask questions about pre-purchase date, release-date and pricing and such?

When I spoke with Gino at CVI, those were all the questions that I asked him. That was Aug. 2012 and everything that he reported to me was not even close as everything went silent on this build shortly after that.

On another note, great picture. It is good to finally see it on someone. Looks nice and big like it should be.

Now I am really, really, really interested in getting one.
:D:D:D

\m/

Guest Gosdent

Gosdent - with the ability to speak with Gino and be an insider, did you not ask questions about pre-purchase date, release-date and pricing and such?

When I spoke with Gino at CVI, those were all the questions that I asked him. That was Aug. 2012 and everything that he reported to me was not even close as everything went silent on this build shortly after that.

On another note, great picture. It is good to finally see it on someone. Looks nice and big like it should be.

Now I am really, really, really interested in getting one.
:D:D:D

\m/

Hey Grendel! I was kind of overwhelmed with everything I was going to be doing (checking out eFX stuff for the first time, getting an Exhibitor pass into the show early... it was kind of like when you meet someone famous and all your plans on what to say or ask go out the window because you are just too damn excited :D), so I didn't properly think of what to ask, but I remember him saying it'd be around $599-$699. Still no idea on the production time or release date. I'm hoping it will come out around the same time they predict the Legend Stormtrooper armor will come out, which they say will be in roughly a year. I seriously want one, the thing felt AMAZING. and yeah, the shape is phenomenal.

No worries Gosdent. No knockin' ya at all. Just really eager for any kind of update on the Scout lid.

If it is $599 for a clean version then I am really hoping to get one. Altmann's are running up around 5 $Bills these days (thank goodness I have 2 ;):D ).

I hear ya on getting VIP treatment too. Just happy that something has been posted recently.

Anyone else out there hearing anything, chime in on this thread.

Gotta keep being patient, I guess...

"Patience... you try to keep it but it comes and goes." ~ W. Axl Rose

\m/

Guest Gosdent

If it is $599 for a clean version then I am really hoping to get one.

My thoughts exactly. If I manage to sell some stuff and get alot of cash together, I really want to dive into a clean all fiberglass one. I've always wanted to own a perfectly done fiberglass Scout bucket as a collector piece, and this would be it.

My thoughts exactly. If I manage to sell some stuff and get alot of cash together, I really want to dive into a clean all fiberglass one. I've always wanted to own a perfectly done fiberglass Scout bucket as a collector piece, and this would be it.

The less expensive ones are typically the clean versions. The sad thing is that they charge more for what I consider a terrible "weathered" paintjob.

We could each do a better job weathering a clean lid for a C-Note less and have a better looking helmet.

My 2 cents... ;)

\m/

BTW - I just let go of all my fan made Scout lids because my goal was to have all the fan mades.

LoneWolf stopped producing his so that busted the idea and now I am focusing on Licensed only.