Thermal detonator greeblie, new pics

lonewolf

I am wondering how the good admiral fit his big forearms through those sleeves in the morning. :P

He gets dressed right before he eats his spinach. :lol:

• 1 year later...

I agree on one hand, but on the other the 501st don't clear storm troopers with the add ons listed, they require troopers to be uniform. While I like the film blooper add ons I also agree it is best to keep us uniform for cannon events and it also makes it easier for gmls to clear.

It is the iconic charector we are after not really some trooper in the back ground who's shoulder bell had fell off by accident or one that needed a quick fix to get him on screen. At this point untill the greeble is nailed orientation wise I'd say both is fine, but once we know which way the majority had them that will be the only way allowed.

That's not entirely true! Most of the options are allowed for 501st clearance. The only thing that will get you into trouble is missing tubestripes, apart from that all the other things like chippings, rough boots, etc... that's all accepted on Stormtroopers!

And sorry for the necro post... ahem! :unsure:

• 1 month later...

I'm trying to get my suit built in the next 2 days (or at least wearable), so even though this seems to be decided already, I wanna weigh in on it. Of all the screen grabs I've got, it seems the greeble is always on the left (note the helmet in many of the speeder chase scenes indicate the image is flipped). I think the up/down is less obvious. The only screen grab I've got that the indent can clearly be seen, has the indent on bottom (the back door ambush scene). Some of the speeder chase scenes, it looks like it may be on top, based on the thickness of the greeble when seen from the side. The indent side is thinner, so, seen from the side, it sticks out less.

I'm going to glue mine on with the indent down because I'd rather be screen accurate than accepted into the 501st and I'll happily tell my GML when I submit.

On the blue ray, there is an image with the TD greeblie...but the TD is totally upside down and most likely off. See below.

Also, this has been a big discussion on the forum and it was decided that this is the correct orientation. It is all based on our (the BSN forum members) best guess and/or observations. So, to be in line with the CRL, make sure it's lined up that way.

http://forum.bikerscout.net/index.php?showtopic=8819&st=0&p=73453&hl=screencap&fromsearch=1&#entry73453

Here's a few topics for your review:

http://forum.bikerscout.net/index.php?showtopic=8789&st=0&p=73450&hl=+blue%20+ray&fromsearch=1&#entry73450

http://forum.bikerscout.net/index.php?showtopic=9990&hl=greeblie&fromsearch=1

The truth is, we don't truly know. Personally, I think there may have been both, or even ones missing.

Here are some screen grabs from my blu-ray.

The quality is crap, but that's the pixilation from my rather old HD TV taken on my Digital Camera. So here you go, make you own mind up.

P1010354.jpg

P1010353.jpg

P1010352.jpg

P1010351.jpg

P1010349.jpg

So which ever way you look at it, you can see gap down, cylinder innermost (which would mean gap up) and probably not even there at all (but a dark patch where it should be!).

Draw your own conclusions from those little babies!

For me I prefer to try and keep uniform to my fellow scouts and also to have us looking the same, and opt to have the indent up. Other wise you have Jo public asking why our suits are different. It just looks far better to have us the same, but do as you wish Chris

Why is it no one puts the Fish hook the other side or the helmet strips, that is also seen on screen. Same reason to keep us uniform

Chef says "indent down," and Griffin says "indent up." I do agree that having us all look the same is important. There's only one other scout here locally building now, and he just got greeblies in the mail to add to his TD, so maybe I'll ask what he's doing. None of the scouts in my Garrison have suede patches, mudflap or vests, so my scout is going to stand out a lot anyway. Guess I'll email my GML before I submit. It's on there with E6000, so I can take it off if I have to.

The fish hook on the opposite side is because the image was mirrored. Check the indents on the back of the helmet. It's clear in a lot of the speeder chase scenes, the images were flipped left/right for some reason. Marcel, in that other thread with the pic from the Blu-ray special features, you said the TD was upside down. That explains the greeb being on the other side and indent up. In the only pictures where you can see the indent from the actual movie (the ones Chef posted), it always seems to be indent down.

If not already here...welcome to the world of Star Wars costuming. :)

As this thread can show you, it's all part of figuring out 'what's up' and then 'what's best' for the costume as a whole. I'm only showing what's in the current Pathfinder online CRL. The GML usually looks there first for approval references, then the DL and/or XO weigh in representing the detachment.

I personally have mine attached with double-sided tape. Since this discussion began, I've had it both ways. Now, it's the same as the CRL image. Most of the scouts I've met have it that way too.

Glad to know I'm not the only one confused. I'm going to bed now, after sewing velcro onto elastic for the last 5 hours. Hope this holds together for at least part of "shoot the trooper" tomorrow. I know that's asking a lot, it's one of the most taxing things you can do with your costume. I always break the rangefinder stalk on my Boba Fett when I do it. All that bobbing around pretending to dodge nerf darts is rough on most pieces.

I'm not saying one way or another personally.

I'm just pointing out screen evidence to suggest both.

If one is agreed upon, then it should be used.

But if the Blu-Ray walk around is to be assumed to be a screen used suit, and we know the TD is on upside down. If you flip it the correct way up, then the indents on the greeblie would point downwards. Which ties in with some of the screen shots.

What I want is someone who has the capability of decent screen shots to grab those that I have, but with some clarity. My old Sony, coupled with having to then take a picture of the TV itself, really screwed up the pictures.

• Like 1

I think that would be great. When I joined up a few years back, we still had little square bits of black plastic. At least the blu ray gave us the actual image of what was used. Whether it's up or down, is up to everyone to decide and let Marcel and Chex know. I have mine one way now, but it's been the other way too. :)

Edit: ...and I like Lee's new banners! ^^ ;)

• Like 1

I own the Blu-rays, but no way to screen grab from them. I torrented the 720p versions before the blu-rays came out (I assume it's the one they were running on SpikeTV). Normally I'd feel bad about pirating something I truly enjoy and think is worth the money, but at the time, an HD version wasn't out there for sale, and I've bought the movies enough times to outweigh any guilt. I've tried to get screencaps from those and it's still tough to find a really good shot of the TD.

• 5 weeks later...

Quick heads up here. I just (finally) got around to ordering the greeblie from Don Jarr. Looks like he isn't making the part for the scout TD anymore, just the endor commando badge, which we know has the same piece attached on the left side. This may be old news as I'm not around the forums very much. :rolleyes:

Quick heads up here. I just (finally) got around to ordering the greeblie from Don Jarr. Looks like he isn't making the part for the scout TD anymore, just the endor commando badge, which we know has the same piece attached on the left side. This may be old news as I'm not around the forums very much. :rolleyes:

Wow, did Rich tell you that when you ordered? I'm surprised since he's the source for it right now.

Wow, did Rich tell you that when you ordered? I'm surprised since he's the source for it right now.

My bad. :wacko: DJ got back to my question via ebay. The listings just ran out of time so he's putting them back up. Nothing to see here. This is not the greeblie you're looking for ;)

• 1 month later...

Who has a screen cap from the behind the scenes part of the blu-ray?

I can probably get one but I have to go through a bunch of software rig-a-marole ;) .. to get it to work on my blu-ray player on the pc.

We are going to model this part up and 3d print it so we can upgrade our kit :)

If anyone has some good pics please let me know.

thanks,

Cal

Thanks Jeff! :)

I bought a new computer, with a bluray player and well.. I can't get it to work. I had a friend tell me how to get it to work but I don't have time .. or patience with computers ;)

I'm still amazed at the sub-par weathering job the costuming dept did on this costume for the movie. Hey, it's easy to replicate at least.

• Like 1