Thermal detonator greeblie, new pics

lonewolf

Marcel, I would say this this screencap allows for an 80% identification, but that's just me erring on the side of caution. So much shadow in this scene. :)

I agree with you, Jeff. Hopefully a really clear pic will surface soon. It's probably correct, but I would like to be certain, without a shadow of a doubt.

We've already clearly identified (pretty much) every part of the Stromtrooper costume from each movie. Hopefully, with more analyzing of the the Blu Ray, we'll be there soon.

Just was watching ROTJ on Spike tonight and I think if we can get another high rez shot of the scout that gets ambushed at the bunker (perfect back shot), maybe we could get an even better view of the greeb?

well, I have now got the BluRay for Chribble...

When I get back home I'll see if I can drag off any decent screen grabs.

It's maddening.

When you look at the 'BluRay walkaround', it not only means that they've got the TD mounted the wrong way up..... they've then mounted the greeblie the wrong way up on the already wrong way up TD!!!

Shocking!

These people should be shot.... The empire shouldn't stand for such shoddiness.

well, the debate rages on!!

I've got some screen grabs, but I have to apologise about the quality. My HD TV is a relatively old Sony, and I've no facility to take a direct screen grab via computer, so I've had to use my camera taking a pic of the TV!!

But here we go.

This first one is from the back-door ambush scene, when the scout runs around the bunker after Han.

P1010354.jpg

These images are taken from the Speeder Bike Chase scene

P1010348.jpg

P1010351.jpg

These all seem to show the indent on the long edge (top/bottom debate) across the bottom..... which would put the cylinder on the outside.

This one, also from the same scene, shows a different lighting angle, and appears as though it has no detail at all!! even more confusing.

P1010352.jpg

P1010353.jpg

This one here seems to show the cylinder on the inside (as you frame by frame it, you can sort of see it more clearly), which would say the notch is across the top.

So in essence, for me, the jury is still out.

If someone who has the ability to do a direct screen grab via the PC to get a decent quality picture, then that's probably the way forward.

Why only pick one??

If there are so many different ways the TD was put together, why not just state in the lancer specs, that it must be present with all greeblies, but no one way of putting it together.

Clearly its screen acurate either way, just as long as you use the right parts.

But thats just my opinion though.

Also, it seems like the grey tube in the TD is of varying length.

• Like 1

It all depends on what version you want to replicate, they are all screen accurate.

The rules for a Lancer standard can be specific but I think if it is seen on screen it is correct. The Stormtrooper costuming guys have already came to this conclusion, white gaffer tape, no stripes on helmet, worn latex hand guards, hdpe scraped helmets, roughly cut out eyes,super accurate interiors, helmets and armour included,painted jodhpur boots etc etc. Not everyones's cup of tea but the overall appearance of the guys who take that wee bit more time to go all the way with the accuracy definately makes their costume look much more authentic IMO.

Luckily by the time ROTJ came along the overall spend budget and quality had improved so we don't have the Biker Scout costume just as rough. Yes the TD greeblie, the boiler suit/racing suit/neckseal/collar/mandarin collar, helmet eyes shapes, visor width etc are all variable as screen accurate I really believe that if somebody wants to spend a load of cash and take a lot of time to build an accurate Biker Scout costume then want to be a Lancer here they should not have any problems doing so because somebody just decided on one version.

Over the last couple of years the Lancer standards have continued to be upgraded because of this crazy idea that there should be one way, if there are numerous SCREEN ACCURATE ways it would be better if they were all "allowed" IMO.

Agreed. Plus, I already glued mine on with the indent downwards. :D

As has been stated, perhaps just having the greeb on the correct side (orientation to be decided by the owner) would be enough? There's clearly enough evidence to support both orientations.

• Like 1

I agree on one hand, but on the other the 501st don't clear storm troopers with the add ons listed, they require troopers to be uniform. While I like the film blooper add ons I also agree it is best to keep us uniform for cannon events and it also makes it easier for gmls to clear.

It is the iconic charector we are after not really some trooper in the back ground who's shoulder bell had fell off by accident or one that needed a quick fix to get him on screen. At this point untill the greeble is nailed orientation wise I'd say both is fine, but once we know which way the majority had them that will be the only way allowed.

• 4 weeks later...

Probably a Tamiya Part for a naval ship. It is possible that could be the greeblie that goes on the detonator, painted black. It might be the right size too.

I've built a lot of Tamiya kits, and the closest this piece comes is to the tail plate on a tank. But that "mirror" piece with the four cylinders throws me off. I'm tempted to say they're opposite sides to a naval ship's con tower, but the cylinders look too much like the exhaust cans on the back end of a tank. Also, the notch that we keep arguing :wacko: about going up or down looks like it would nestle down over a piece of spur on the tank hull, or it's where the top deck of the tank would fit in. They'd have to come from the same kit, given how similar they are. I'm digging around Tamiya's product list. If I find anything, I'll post it here.

In the meantime, can someone point me to DJ...if he's still producing the fansculpts? :rolleyes:

Thanks for that, Jim. ;)

Just a quick thought, and since I'm new at this, I'm ready to accept this idea is all kinds of wrong. But has anybody contacted Aggie Guerard Rogers to ask if she knows what these things were made from? I haven't found contact info for Nilo Rodis-Jamero.

aggie@aggierodgers.com...worth a shot?

• 2 months later...

I think you might have posted the wrong pic. I just see Admiral Ackbar's turkey neck.

I am wondering how the good admiral fit his big forearms through those sleeves in the morning. :P