Biker Scout Vest Flak

cucblack

Hi There,

Here is my Vest Flak. With screen used pics, for reference comparison.

Great to upgrade a flight suit or race suit.

Any doubt, suggestion or comment welcome.

Christian.

gallery_25448_151_48997.jpg

gallery_25448_151_33682.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice! I like it! The only thing I would change would be to reverse the velcro so it closes the same way as the screen used one, right over left.

I noticed it. I'm agree with this point.

Excelente! What material did you used to make it?

Hola Juan.

La tela se llama Bull, es 100% algodón. Es gruesa y suave. Similar a las chaquetas militares de campaña. Es a todo terreno!!!

I use Bull, 100% cotton. Strong and soft. Similar to military jacket fabric.

Saludos!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hola Juan.

La tela se llama Bull, es 100% algodón. Es gruesa y suave. Similar a las chaquetas militares de campaña. Es a todo terreno!!!

I use Bull, 100% cotton. Strong and soft. Similar to military jacket fabric.

Saludos!!!

Gracias por la respuesta! Hare lo posible para encontrar esa tela aqui en Puerto Rico. Si no la encuentro, la buscare online. :D

Thanks for the answer! I'll do my best to find that material here in Puerto Rico. If I can't find it, I'll look it up online. :D

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Today I went to a group on Meetup.com for people in my inner city to sew and learnt how to use a sewing machine.

I wasn't able to make anything as puffy as the ribbing on the sleeves. However, the instructor found something someone else had made that sort of resembled the ribbing on Vader's torso. The materials that ribbed the best were thinner.

Does anyone have a sewing pattern for the vest or something similar?

Today I went to a group on Meetup.com for people in my inner city to sew and learnt how to use a sewing machine.

I wasn't able to make anything as puffy as the ribbing on the sleeves. However, the instructor found something someone else had made that sort of resembled the ribbing on Vader's torso. The materials that ribbed the best were thinner.

Does anyone have a sewing pattern for the vest or something similar?

I used a t-shirt pattern and was a lot of trial and error with the sleeves. I used a thin, mildly shiny material I found and folded it in half before cutting the sleeve. Then I cut the padding out to the same shape and sewed the ribbing. Now I had a ribbed piece that looked like two sleeves end to end. Fold it in half again and you have a sleeve that is padded and ribbed. As for the back, I cut two half pieces of the back and made the ends a bit longer to fold over each other to add the velcro closure. As I said, it is a lot of trial and error. Good luck. Knowing how to sew is a huge plus in costuming.

• 2 months later...
Guest Penn Chemist

Cucblack that is really nice looking, great job!

I too am looking to make my own vest and cumberbund for that matter. My sewing experience is very limited, so it should surely get interesting.

I know it is vague as to what the actual vests looked like but the CRL's pictures definitely have a different material than the vest itself. It is more shiney than is the main vest material. Is this a requirement for lancer in some way? Seems like most have a material that matches that of the main vest material... would this prevent one from becoming lancer?

How do you tackle the length of the sleeves to ensure they are the proper length in relation to the shoulder armor? What if one didn't yet have the shoulder armor piece as reference? Proper fitting in tightness to the arm itself so it is not too baggy or loose?

Any help to all of us novices from our more experiencing sewing folk?

Already think I might be getting in over my head, but still think it would be valuable to learn and I would certainly feel accomplished if I can pull it off. Just want to be as prepared as I can be going into it. ^_^

The vest in the picture is mine, when I made mine a few years back and when I asked questions. At the time it was the norm to have a heavy weight fabric on the body and a lighter shinier fabric on the sleeves. Today though we dont ask for this, so you will be fine for lancer at this time to have a vest made with fabric the same all over mate.

Guest Penn Chemist

Ah awesome man, thanks for the quick response! And that is relieving too. ^_^

Is there a ruling on this issue of how far up the sleeve the ribbing must go? Seen several takes on this... should not have visible ribbing between the shoulder bell and neck, correct?

And how about stitching on the end of the sleeve? I've seen most that have it stiched but several that seem to have just folded it as to not create a seem at the end of the sleeves. Seems to stitch would be significantly easier... but then again I don't know much about sewing (yet!).

Thanks Marcel!