Weathering

i'm a newbie and will be ordering my armor soon. i'm intersted in weathering the pieces so i don't look like i'm in a parade...but have some concerns:

1) how much is too much?

2) if i "screw up", will it all wash off for a second attempt?

3) does the vinyl of the boots take the weathering as well?

any comments would be appreciated.

If you really want to do some weathering, I'd recommend a grey wash. Super easy to do - get some glass cleaner (doesn't have to be Windex), some grey acrylic paint and some paper towels. And something to put the concoction in. Pour an amount of the glass cleaner into your receptacle and squeeze a bit of paint in. There's no formal recipe, just start with less and see how you like it. Mix it all up well and then soak your randomly crumpled up paper towel in the mixture and wipe it all over your armour.

It'll give it a slightly grimy look but the best part is that it's not permanent. If you want it off or if you used to much, just use a bit of glass cleaner and it'll slide right off YET it's water resistant.

If you really want to do some weathering, I'd recommend a grey wash. Super easy to do - get some glass cleaner (doesn't have to be Windex), some grey acrylic paint and some paper towels. And something to put the concoction in. Pour an amount of the glass cleaner into your receptacle and squeeze a bit of paint in. There's no formal recipe, just start with less and see how you like it. Mix it all up well and then soak your randomly crumpled up paper towel in the mixture and wipe it all over your armour.

It'll give it a slightly grimy look but the best part is that it's not permanent. If you want it off or if you used to much, just use a bit of glass cleaner and it'll slide right off YET it's water resistant.

That's essentially what I did, with the addition of using some graphite and sandpaper to to some carbon scoring in places. A blending stump came in handy too to work some of the graphite into crevices where grime would naturally accumulate.

As far as how much is too much? Well, personally, I think a dirty scout is a happy scout. It's all up to you really what's too much. Start out small, and if you're not happy, add a little more weathering until you get a look you're satisfied with.