My boot build...

Guest spires75

Guest spires75

I've started my boots with a lot of help from Witness, thank you for your guidance and patience. I bought my boots at Kmart:

Noah Suede Work Boots

I thought I'd start by cutting the boot soles first to get that out of the way. I measured out each notch. It was stated in a previous post that it did not matter how many there were, just evenly spaced. I tried to match up what I've seen on here as well as those on the boot pics.

DSC07580.jpg

DSC07577.jpg

After some hours of work, my wife shaking her head, and my figures going numb...the final result of cutting the soles.

DSC07583.jpg

DSC07588.jpg

I still have to clean up some of the sections to square them off, but I was pleased how they came out. Used a hobby knife/exacto knife to cut the notches and it seemed to work great. Got the white marine vinyl (50% off coupon Jo-Ann Fabric $7.50 for a yard!), thread, velcro, rivets, push-pins, and E6000 (Target) so hopefully will get to the next step soon.

Any feedback along the way would be much appreciated.

You're gonna need to use something like Photobucket for your photos. The google links you are using are indirectly and while they work for browsers as a web page in of itself, they do not seem to be working within the forum as a direct link. At least I can't see them, I see small white outlined boxes.

Guest spires75

I ventured over to my mother-in-law's house who can sew the crap out of anything. I talked myself through cutting the marine vinyl and tried to follow the template from the tutorial the best I could. I had to enlarge the width around the calf a bit which in turn lengthened the bottom taper as well. We dry fit everything that she was going to sew and it seemed to fit well. When it came time to sew, the material was too slippery for her machine. She said she might need a different needle for the machine she had and will check her "sewing store" later this week. So all dressed up but no place to go as they say. All cut out but sewing delayed a bit. Here are some pictures of the items just waiting for her sewing machine...

DSC07592.jpg

DSC07595.jpg

Maybe by the weekend...I hope. In the meantime, I'm going to start the stretching process for the toe.

Guest spires75

Did the stretching for the toes and seemed like it was a never ending process. I finally got to put the E6000 glue on and the boots seemed to soak in the glue. I had to put an extra thick layer on and I'm not sure that has even worked. We shall see after I let it cure till tomorrow.

Guest spires75

Half way home, and some touch ups to do. Still see some pin holes in the sole but shouldn't be noticeable when worn (I hope.).

DSC07604.jpg

DSC07606.jpg

DSC07605.jpg

DSC07614.jpg

DSC07612.jpg

Guest spires75
Again Beatiful Ryan!!!!!and also you are making a very neat job!!!!!

Leo

Thanks guys...that 1/2 inch strip sure does cover up some ugliness!

Thanks guys...that 1/2 inch strip sure does cover up some ugliness!

These are great! I had some real issues making my own boots which is why I decided to let someone else make them. I still intend to finish mine later when I have more time when I start my quest for Lancer. Again great job and awesome reference photos for those of us looking to make our own also!

Guest spires75

So my calves are done. I haven't attached them yet, these are just resting on top of the boot. The velcro stitched on is a little bumpy but if I stretch it it looks ok. I guess I can't be critical, my mother-in-law did the best she could. The issue I see is that the calf section is the right size but near the ankle is a bit wide. I'm not sure if I tapered it enough. Here are some pictures of what I can see from above and then from the side and front. What are some opinions?

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

Guest spires75

Well, they are riveted and glued. I did trim them down just a bit so they fit a little better around the ankle. I need to glue a bit more to make things more secure and look nice. Then the "dog bone" will be glued on. Pictures to come.

Guest spires75

Glue didn't stick as well to the boot material again. When it is vinyl to vinyl it is great. Have to re-glue and find a way to hold the vinyl to the boot somehow. I don't think I can clamp it because the clamps leave an indentation on the vinyl. It might be a case of holding it by hand until it adheres. I was thinking maybe a towel and rubberband might work or belt maybe. Any thoughts...

When I do black boots, I use a boot that has a suede like finish, and I have to use a LOT of Goop to get the vinyl to stick. When I glue the toe section on after trimming, I pin it in place near the sole so the pin holes will end up under the trim strip. I also have to hold the toe section down with my hand while it is drying. I make boots while I sit and watch TV, so it's just become normal to have to sit and hold the toes down while glueing and finish with Goop all over my hands. You are doing well. Most likely a bit more glue will work for you.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest spires75

Boots are still drying so they are almost done. Here are the pictures I have of them drying.

DSC07810.jpg

DSC07809.jpg

I'm fearful that the calves are a little short. Once I get my armor we'll see how close they are to the knee armor.