scout build progress

Shyrax

Webbing and the new snout came in. Started on my boots. Reworked the basic template on the pinned how-to to match my boot, calf circumference, and calf length. Started the stretching of the vinyl.

Here it is before gluing.

IMG_0193.jpg

And then after gluing and with the finishing strip.

IMG_0195.jpg

Now off to JoAnn to check out sewing machines. Should have bought one when I built my TK, but my wife talked me out of it. This time I am just going to come home with it. You know what they say... It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Cut the calf vinyl and flaps. Sewed the upper edge and velcro. Riveted and glued to boots. Will add the flaps tomorrow.

IMG_0196.jpg

IMG_0197.jpg

IMG_0198.jpg

Gonna have to quit using my phone as a camera. Everything is looking blurry.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a box waiting for me at the house when I go home from work. Some SC goodness. Great Valentine's Day present to myself.

IMG_0205.jpg

Was going through the stuff I had pre-purchased to get ready for this and realized that I forgot to get the duck cloth for the shoulder chest/back join. Ran by JoAnn and Hancock and neither has it in white. They did have every other color you could imagine including natural. Since I am going with the natural pouches and webbing, can I use natural up top? Is natural lancer approved?

Found white duck cloth at Hobby Lobby. Should get started tonite on the build.

Great build thread, Jason! I'm adding this to my collection of resources for when I'm ready to start my TB build. Looking forward to seeing the finished product!

I know the feeling....Just finished my SC kit ...gonna do the first troop in it this weekend. The build is very easy and straight forward....FYI don't use the drop box webbing in the kit if you ever wanna go lancer, get some new cotton for those.

Ck my build thread to see how I did mine.

TMC

Great boots Jason.

Thanks. Will get the holster on them tomorrow. May have to adjust the height of them since I didn't have my armor when I made them. They may be too tall. We'll see.

I know the feeling....Just finished my SC kit ...gonna do the first troop in it this weekend. The build is very easy and straight forward....FYI don't use the drop box webbing in the kit if you ever wanna go lancer, get some new cotton for those.

Ck my build thread to see how I did mine.

TMC

Your thread is actually one of the ones I have saved to refer to. I appreciate the help that your thread will be providing. As far as the webbing, I purchased some 2" and 1.5" natural cotton webbing to take the place of what came with the kit.

For an update:

I have the main part of the belt riveted and the ends marked for attaching the webbing. All holes that need to be cut for the other webbing are marked. Will be cutting the holes tonite and doing all the sewing either tonite or tomorrow.

Will post pics when I get home of what I have so far and more after the cutting and sewing.

Surprise came in the mail today at work. Thought it had got lost in the mail. The shipping ticket was created on 12/30. The paint was still sticky in a couple spots. Have had it sitting in front of a fan since about noon.

DSC00401.jpg

So far:

Belt riveted and webbing holes marked on belt and thigh boxes.

DSC00394.jpg

Belt and thigh boxes cut. Still need a little cleaning up.

DSC00405.jpg

DSC00406.jpg

Webbing cut to length.

DSC00407.jpg

Hoping to get all the sewing on the webbing done tomorrow and be able to put the armor on tomorrow night.

Due to unexpected work this weekend, was not able to do as much as I hoped. Did get all the strapping sewn, the shoulder gap covers made, and test fitted the armor. The boots are too tall though. They are touching my knees. Will have to drop them a little bit. Still need to attach the hump, shorten the boots, attach the holster, add pin stripes, and a couple other odds and ends. Should be done tomorrow then it is just waiting until the soft parts and helmet come in.

Quick question though... The instructions that came with the armor have me using white elastic to make the connection between chest and back on the sides. Since I used natural webbing on the belt, should I also be using it for this?

Pics later.

Got the hump with topper attached. Shortened the boots and added the holster. Pics later.

Questions:

1) Should I change out the white elastic on the chest/back sides with the natural webbing to match the belt?

2) In what order do the TD greeblies go on? There are 4 pieces... 1 smooth rectangle, 2 rectangles with little rectangular things on them, and a circle. Is there any certain order they should go in? Pretty sure the circle goes to the far right.

NEVERMIND, FOUND THE ANSWER.

3) The gray rectangle on the chest. Is that just painted gray or should I have gotten a sticker for this? Is there any detail to it other than just being a gray rectangle? FROM WHAT I AM READING IT IS JUST PAINTED A DARK GRAY.

Thanks in advance for your help. Now off to try to find some pics to see how exactly the pin striping should go.

Questions:

1) Should I change out the white elastic on the chest/back sides with the natural webbing to match the belt?

Yes, if you have natural webbing and straps everywhere else, then yes to the side elastic.

From what I read, It seems there is no real consensus on whether there are 2 or 3 rectangular greeblies on the TD. Below are the 2 options I have decided on for the Cucblack greeblies on my SC TD. The top pic is with alot of sanding. This seems to be the norm. The bottom pic is without all the sanding. It is a much quicker/easier since no sanding will be involved other than on the round piece. Is this bottom pic acceptable when trying for Lancer or should I stick with the top pic?

box.jpg

Thanks again for everyone's help.