Using magnets

Chex

Have some rare earth magnets I want to use on my KS bucket. The velcro is getting kind of old, listening to the sound when I open and close it is...meh. Anyways, heard of some using these. Can anyone chime in on using them, how well they work, placement, pics, etc.

Yeah ive had them in my bucket for 2 years and they work fantastic bro, I have 4 in total in mine I believe they were 10mmx3mm round. 2 in the face plate near the bottom and 2 in the part of the helmet where the chin strap would run on an MLC, so they snap together when closed. No kiddies grabing your helmet will seperate these, they take some force to to do. Im guess smaller magents would work but I lke the power mine have. I just 5 minute epoxy glued mine in and put plenty around the magnet too. I wouldnt want to drop shut my face plate as the way my magnet grab it would shatter them.

I have these too, except i used the ring type, so there was more surface area for the glue.

Just a note too, many Rare Earth magnets are rendered useless if exposed to excessive heat, so don't use a hot glue on them. Just epoxy or super glue....

I'm with you Mike, this velcro is just not cutting it. I tried using some magnets, but they were so powerful that they pulled themselves from their epoxy. I think I'll try the rare earth magnet route if they're a bit less powerful :).

• 4 months later...

I think I was one of the first to try the method of securing the faceplate with rare earth magnets. I mounted mine on the inside surface of the helmet cheek area. I used ABS coated magnets to help keep them protected and to be able to secure them to helmet. On the inside of the overlapping faceplate, I used a 1.5"x3" piece of sheet steel to give the magnet something to grab.

gallery_10_23_26640.jpg

gallery_10_23_26370.jpg

gallery_10_23_125509.jpg

In this last pic, you cannot see the steel strip because it's under the perforated vinyl on the edge of the faceplate. In the second pic, you can see the faceplate in the closed position and the white magnet has grabbed the steel strip.

my MLCv3 helmet is fiberglass... so its a little thicker. i got some thin craft magnets, and im going to see if i can use them like you have yours (to tall, would hit my square jaw). im trying to figure out a plan of attack tonight, ill post pics if i do

and here we go! i used nylon "bushing and spacers" from Ace hardware and small 1/4" craft magnets. i just need to clean up the glue a little and add some black paint on the glue so it blends in... works fantastic!

100_1637.jpg

100_1636.jpg

100_1639.jpg

100_1640.jpg

Mine were mounted flat to the cheeks and helmet, on my mlc I cout a small square just bigger than the magent, and dremelled out hole for the magnet to sit in, this was then epoxy glued into the chin strap recess at the bottom, I then dremelled out a hole in the cheeks for the magnet to go into, so when it closes they sort of slide together instead of going face to face directly if that make sense?

Mine were mounted flat to the cheeks and helmet, on my mlc I cout a small square just bigger than the magent, and dremelled out hole for the magnet to sit in, this was then epoxy glued into the chin strap recess at the bottom, I then dremelled out a hole in the cheeks for the magnet to go into, so when it closes they sort of slide together instead of going face to face directly if that make sense?

i ws thinking of adding the magnets that way in to the helmet... got any pictures?

that funny. that was the exact way i was trying to do it at first. but i dont trust my self with cutting in to the helmet. do your magnets touch each other when closed?

so i got to thinking... and i did not like that first set up. so i tried the origional route i wanted to go (like Marcel) and ended up with this. i like it better.

100_1647.jpg

100_1646.jpg

• 1 month later...
Guest TREADEC

I kept it fairly simple to adding earth mags, so i used a couple from the hard drives of a broken PS3 you can also find mags in comp drives too. They measure 10mm x 5mm x 3mm. I cut a small recess for them to sit in then hot glued into position. The face closes neatly and keep the face closed secure when bending over.

Here's how mine look....

100_5499.jpg

100_5501.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
Guest amdevil

this thread really addresses the next step for my DP

where are rare earth magnets found? just online? Do any craft stores or Ace/Home Depots carry them? I'm guessing E6000 to hold them down?

this thread really addresses the next step for my DP

where are rare earth magnets found? just online? Do any craft stores or Ace/Home Depots carry them? I'm guessing E6000 to hold them down?

You can find them all over the net. I grabbed mine from Trooperbay.com.