KS Helmet Modifications

By request, I am posting what I have in the way of pictures showing what needs to change to make a KS helmet go from 501st approved, to Lancer approved. At least mine was approved (please don't take it back waaaaaah). The KS bucket is probably the lightest and largest of the main fanmade buckets. It's made from very thin ABS and is flexible. You have to be careful when making any changes to it as to not bend the plastic too far or mishape it.

This is a KS preassembled bucket as it comes from them.

ks.jpg

Alone, this is 501st approved, but there are some glaring problems when you want to talk about film or Lancer quality.

#1 Snout Greeble

The KS snout greeble is by no means accurate to the film greeble. The snout section is also black and grey from a sticker they apply. This unraised snout is also not accurate. Below is a photo of a screen used scout bucket snout as seen in the BSN photo gallery.

snoutreference.jpg

Notice the raised plate holding the greeble from the snout. The main snout is painted a satin black and the plate and greeble body are painted a light grey. The aerator is also painted satin black.

For my snout greeble I used a hollow MC greeble that came with a plate attached. With a little sanding, I was able to get the greeble and plate to sit properly on the KS snout. Below is my bucket with the snout painted and greeble and plate added.

snoutpaint.jpg

#2 Bolt Covers

Also notice the KS bolt covers in the original picture. They are not accurate either. The KS bolt covers are a plastic furniture foot cover that you would add to the bottom of a table leg to place the table on a hardwood floor. They are being held on with goop and can be pryed off but not so easily, so be careful. You then need to cover the bolt with a bolt cover or replace the bolts all together. I covered the bolts with 7/8" plastic discs that I had around. I use the disks for elevating a plate of glass which covers my wooden desk at work. They are clear and perfectly round so they fit nice. I painted them the same grey as the snout plate and gooped them on. Below is how the covers look.

You could also replace the covers and visor screws and nuts with screen accurate 3M bolts if you can find them. There are other threads about these on the forums.

lancerbolt.jpg

#3 Bottom Neck Trim

Not really pictured, but you can sort of see there is a thin piece of plastic edging on the neckline of the bucket in my snout picture that is also removed. This is put in place to strengthen the plastic on the KS bucket to prevent the back bottom of the bucket from deforming. You can strengthen this with a plastic strip glued to the unside of the bucket where it cannot be seen, or reinforcing with a bondo material on the inside. I used a plastic strip on the inside to make it stronger.

You should also paint the inside back of your bucket black so it looks black inside when people peer into your ear holes. The screen covering which comes already on it is adequate to prevent most people from viewing inside.

There is nothing else needed to make it Lancer approved. You now have an approved bucket that is easy to wear, comes in a very large melon sized head accomodating size, and weighs next to nothing, so it's very comfortable on long troops.

I added fans and batteries to mine and it's still extremely light. If anyone has any questions, please ask and I'll try to answer them best I can.

**** I would like to add, that no particular item of the costume you have is "lancer approved", but can be made to the quality allowing you to apply for lancer. Lancer approval is based largely on the overall appearance of the costume, fit and finish all coming together. ****

• Like 1

Being a proud KS bucket owner this helps a lot ;) also trying to go for Lancer status.

Excellent "tutorial" on how to mod the KS to Lancer requirments, to bad MC doesn't answer my emails for a snout.. :(

• Like 1

Point of note: the KS helmet is made from ABS, not PVC. The two materials are very distinct from one another.

Correct, my mistake. Dunno why I put PVC.

I have both Altmanns and KS, and both are about the same in size.

Also, as far as it being the "lightest", remember the Altmanns is made of ABS and is very light as well. ;)

Show me somewhere I can buy an Altmanns off the shelf and I will consider it available for purchase. They are very close in weight. Of course the Altmanns is better as a bucket, I wish I could have one, but most folks will either never be able to find one for sale, or be able to even afford one.

And, I did say "probably" :)

Show me somewhere I can buy an Altmanns off the shelf and I will consider it available for purchase. They are very close in weight. Of course the Altmanns is better as a bucket, I wish I could have one, but most folks will either never be able to find one for sale, or be able to even afford one.

And, I did say "probably" :)

:huh:

I wasn't being negative, just adding info, correct info.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Witness: Could you please re-post the reference pictures that are supposed to be here? I'm sure a lot of people will find this useful.

I will have to check through some DVDs to see if I have the files anywhere. My internet provider had reset webspaces and I lost the images. I had not saved them onto my new computer from my old one. I may have them somewhere, I'll look tonight.

• 5 months later...
Guest bikerscout1

please tell me where to find a KS biker scout helmet as well as all the rest of coustuimg for a biker scout costume. i am in ontario, canada, and need to know, with websites, etc......

• 2 weeks later...
please tell me where to find a KS biker scout helmet as well as all the rest of coustuimg for a biker scout costume. i am in ontario, canada, and need to know, with websites, etc......

Hey Mike, First off welcome to the BSN! You may want to introduce yourself in the appropriate thread so people get to know you first. As for where to get your scout stuff. You may want to do a little research here on the boards. There are a few different maker with different levels of accuracy and pricing. You need to find whats right for you in terms of look and price. Your in the right place,but need to do some legwork on your own. Im sure with some browsing you will find what your looking for.

• 8 months later...

Glad I came across this. My bucket is a KS and I haven't attached the face/visor to the main part of the bucket so fixing the accuracy of the bolt covers is going to be easier. ;) Going with the MC greeblie on the riser plate for more accuracy. :D Witness, could you please post pics detailing where the "Bottom Neck Trim" is on the helmet. I will trim the bottom edge around the back more before I put on the Auto Trim. How close should I trim this edge or should it be completely removed prior to adding the white auto trim? :blink:

Thanks...

Just trim the edge do not but any auto trim of any kind on it like you would say a T.K. Movie used scouts did not have any trim on the helmet, or armour for that matter and you will make it very inacuate doing this

Just trim the edge do not but any auto trim of any kind on it like you would say a T.K. Movie used scouts did not have any trim on the helmet, or armour for that matter and you will make it very inacuate doing this

THANK YOU! :D You have saved me from making a huge blunder by answering this for me. I wasn't sure if there was car trim on it or not. Now I know. :lol: I will trim this as close as I can and glue a thin strip of reinforcement inside. I may use some fiberglass tape and some resin. that will stiffen up the bottom edge without being too visible, it would also help me untweak the alignment so the face/visor aligns better with the back. I'll be using a dark, gray/black lining with the helmet so that will cover-up any unsightly mess inside. ;)

Thanks again!

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
... It's made from very thin ABS and is flexible. You have to be careful when making any changes to it as to not bend the plastic too far or mishape it.

does the current KS helmets come in thicker gauge ABS? is .090 newer or current?

• 1 month later...