KS Helmet Modifications

• 3 months later...

Just a quick question - with the MC snout, i also got the hollow one but the mesh piece is a silvery/metal colour. Does this need to be painted black for lancer specs??

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
Guest SUP_Ronin

Help, I've just gotten my KS Helmet, and I'm looking to do the bolt covers. I have the 3m bolt kit, but i'm trying to get a full understanding of the procedure before I tear it up.

Questions: I know I need to remove the current covers, but then it appears riveted on. Do I also remove the rivet? I think I read someplace about carefully sanding out a square hole for the 3m kit. Does the 3m kit now serve as the mechanism for raising the visor? I could probably figure this out as I do it, but this thread really helps prevent mistakes before they occur. Thanks guys.

Help, I've just gotten my KS Helmet, and I'm looking to do the bolt covers. I have the 3m bolt kit, but i'm trying to get a full understanding of the procedure before I tear it up.

Questions: I know I need to remove the current covers, but then it appears riveted on. Do I also remove the rivet? I think I read someplace about carefully sanding out a square hole for the 3m kit. Does the 3m kit now serve as the mechanism for raising the visor? I could probably figure this out as I do it, but this thread really helps prevent mistakes before they occur. Thanks guys.

Not sure what rivet everyone is talking about. My KS was received in kit form & came with a screw with "bolt covers/disc. But what ever is there has to be removed to use the 3M plastic bolt. The plastic bolt & nut will replace all existing bolt/rivets. Drill a hole a lil larger than the 3M bolt in the visor. Place visor on the helmet where it is to sit. Mark & drill same size hole in helmet. Place plastic bolt in visor hole so the square butts up again the plastic, now trace with a pencil the square. Drill a bigger hole, but smaller than the square. take a hobby file & file away the reamaining plastic to make the square hole. Take your time & do it slow. Test fit the bolt after a few strokes. It should fit snug. Do both sides, then place the visor on the helmet & attach the 3M bolts & secure with the plastic nut.

Not sure what rivet everyone is talking about. My KS was received in kit form & came with a screw with "bolt covers/disc. But what ever is there has to be removed to use the 3M plastic bolt. The plastic bolt & nut will replace all existing bolt/rivets. Drill a hole a lil larger than the 3M bolt in the visor. Place visor on the helmet where it is to sit. Mark & drill same size hole in helmet. Place plastic bolt in visor hole so the square butts up again the plastic, now trace with a pencil the square. Drill a bigger hole, but smaller than the square. take a hobby file & file away the reamaining plastic to make the square hole. Take your time & do it slow. Test fit the bolt after a few strokes. It should fit snug. Do both sides, then place the visor on the helmet & attach the 3M bolts & secure with the plastic nut.

I think if you buy it preassembled KS rivets the visor to the rest of the helmet, instead of a bolt/nut.

Guest SUP_Ronin

Yeah, mine's pre-assembled with a riviet. Thanks for the quick reply. They probably give you screw in the kit because not everyone has a rivet gun on hand. That helps a lot, FNG-1138, much appreciated.

I got this.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a KS bucket. Got it almost exactly a year ago. A couple things; Not sure if anyone else has had this, but the ABS almost has a slight pink tint to it under certain light, and as the bucket has aged the visor is a bit different shade than the rest of the bucket. This wasn't something I noticed early on so I am given to believe it's because the bucket has aged? Also, I would suggest assembling it yourself if you buy one. The bucket is nice but when you look at the assembly, all kinds of issues come up. The trim job on the visor wasn't so hot, and when looking straight on at the bucket, the visor bolts are different heights. Also, there can be a tendency for the visor to show a gab between it and the actual faceplate. I was able to fix this on mine as it wasn't too bad. These are things that aren't noticeable if you aren't looking for them, but once you notice them, it's kind of bothersome.

Overall, I like mine. It is durable and light and looks good however I am going to need to tweak it a bit later on, ie. a paint job, all the things this thread talks about, and maybe a bit of cleanup on the trim.

Just a few thoughts guys. - Paul

I've enjoyed my KS lid for the last 2+ years. It's lightweight and durable without any noticeable fading or discoloration. I did recently acquire an MLC3 lid though, so that's what I'm using these daze. ;)

• 3 weeks later...
As the person who inherited Jim's KS bucket, I'm very pleased. With the little bit of foam he put inside it's very comfortable, even on my large head.

You got a good one Dylan. It came to me right before all of the issues began with KS and their molds.

• 3 months later...
Guest jcronick

Forget the mold issues with KS.

I paid for a helmet from them 3 months ago and still haven't received it.

She (Brenda) periodically promises to send it. First promised to send in Jan, then promised late Feb, then promised early March. Still no helmet and she doesn't return emails anymore.

I shoulda gone with SC!

I bought my armor from them and they were great, prompt delivery and great communication!

• 1 month later...

Jeremy,

I've found that if you end up sending them a PM on facebook, it goes to someone else, and they end up getting back to Brenda And she'll message you again. Try that and let them know about the problems you've had. You now make the 4th person here that I've noticed having this same problem with KS including myself.

I ended up having to buy a bucket from BatNinja and I'm attempting to get it together myself so that I can try to get it together, assembled and approved before May. (I doubt I'll be approved, but at least I can troop, hopefully.)

----

Anyways... I need a little help with my helmet. I ended up going out and getting decals from TrooperBay, and I got a new Snout piece. I've built an ear piece to darken it up instead of painting it... However, I can't seem to keep the lid closed when it's down, and I can't get it to stay open when it's up.

I went and found a face shield from Lowe's, and I'm getting some window tint to build the lens myself. What's the best way to get the thing to stay in the facemask part?

Also, When painting the front where the snout greeble will go... Should it painted gloss of flat black?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks again, Troopers!

• 1 year later...

Just got my KS yesterday. Overall pleased, but it looks like the decals will need to be replaces. Bolts are bulky, different from the original post. Sprayed a little bit for weathering and a bit tight on my face, but the sides of the head need more padding. Still, better than Rubies that I've trooped with for years.

• 3 months later...