Mudflap

Witness

Kinda late on this, but I didn't know this was something needed for the costume. Can anyone tell me if this is required? lol

As I understand it, this is a Lancer requirement along with the riding patch, straps, and the flak vest (for screen accuracy). None of these are required for general 501st TB.

Kinda late on this, but I didn't know this was something needed for the costume. Can anyone tell me if this is required? lol

Lancer specifications are clearly listed in the Costume Standards forum here.

IV. UNDER SUIT

1. Based on a one piece flight suit or racing suit and including:

- All visible zippers and pockets (except for primary zipper) removed.

- Black suede or faux suede riding patch on the inside of the thighs and over the seat of the suit.

- Two thigh straps made from 1.5" (3.8 cm) black elastic that are affixed underneath riding patch.

- Mandarin style (or similar) collar that can be raised up to help conceal the neck and would preferably have an enclosing strap to keep the neck concealed.

• 5 months later...

Good thing about being a girl who's making a scout costume: staring at biker a$$es isn't awkward at all ;)

Having said that, I have a few questions.. In some photos the mudflap looks like it's fastened to the flightsuit on the sides as well (not just on top). Don't the lower corners flap around when they're not attached? And my second question: is the mudflap only made from suade or have you guys used some form of reinforcements to make it thicker/heavier?

Hey Sara the flap literally is just sewn on the flight suit along the waist line at the top above the point the cummerbund sits.

I used light weight black pig suede from Tandy leather, you can use faux suede for standard 501st clearance but I would recomend using the real stuff as it gets a nice look to it once washed

Thanks guys!!

I'll go for the LadySewForUs flightsuit (and vest) in the end, but that takes 6 months (2 months for the vest) and I don't want to wait that long. I should have everything else ready some time during the beginning of May so I'm just going to make a temporary-flightsuit to wear before the one from LSFU is done ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Lancer specifications are clearly listed in the Costume Standards forum here.

Sorry to quote something a little dated but this has me confused while finishing up my Scout. The suede mudflap is mentioned on the Costume Standards here, as well as on the 501st CRL here. Has this changed at all or is the mudflap (and vest) only required for Lancer status?

Hi Jaime,

Just to clarify for you.

The mudflap is now required for Standard Clearance. This has been a recent change, in the last few months.

Things that were "Lancer Only", that are NOW required for standard Clearance are the following.

Butt/Mud Flap

Flak Vest

Crotch Riding Patch

Thigh Straps.

hope this helps.

Hi Jaime,

Just to clarify for you.

The mudflap is now required for Standard Clearance. This has been a recent change, in the last few months.

Things that were "Lancer Only", that are NOW required for standard Clearance are the following.

Butt/Mud Flap

Flak Vest

Crotch Riding Patch

Thigh Straps.

hope this helps.

...and the thermal detonator greeble...right Chef?! ;)

yarp..

If I got it all right all the time Jim, there'd be nothing for you to pull me up on!

And that's no fun now is it.

hehehehhehe.

• Like 1

yarp..

If I got it all right all the time Jim, there'd be nothing for you to pull me up on!

And that's no fun now is it.

hehehehhehe.

You always help me and others, so...thank you Chef! :)

Sorry to quote something a little dated but this has me confused while finishing up my Scout. The suede mudflap is mentioned on the Costume Standards here, as well as on the 501st CRL here. Has this changed at all or is the mudflap (and vest) only required for Lancer status?

The standard CRL has been quite poor in its content for a long time, so once I became DL last year it was the first thing I wanted to address. Other costumes have come on leaps and bounds and the bikers were getting left behind, as a so so costume. So to answer your question yes you now need a vest, mud flap and crotch patches, all the scouts had them on screen so it was a no brainer not to add them.

• Like 1

It also makes the suit look more tailored and less like a standard boiler suit. Wich is why they prob added them to the guys on screen :)

You got to love Mr Lucas, back in the day resolution was not good and we could not see these things. I admire the guy for the detail :)

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I am currently working on a flight suit and I am looking for the right material for the mud flap and the crotch riding patch.

I thought about getting velour leather or real suede - I read the comments above and wondered wheather you experienced any problems with washing the suede? I had some people recommending to use syntethic leather as it would not be a good idea to wash velour leather/ real suede.

Any recommendations/ opinions?

I recommend real suede. I used 2 oz pig suede. This is a great place to order from:

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/search/searchresults/9122-01.aspx

I was able to get two sets of mudflaps and riding pouches from 1 hide. I gave the extra to a new trooper.

Real suede actually looks more accurate the more you wash it as it dulls, I wouldnt suggest putting it through the tumble dryer to dry them though , mine came from Tandy leather also pig suede as thin as you can get

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

There's a scene in the movie ROTJ when Han and the team are taking over the field generator to take it out of commission, they actually ambush a biker scout. His back is to the camera and you can see the flap perfectly.

• Like 1

I recommend real suede. I used 2 oz pig suede. This is a great place to order from:

http://www.tandyleat...ts/9122-01.aspx

I was able to get two sets of mudflaps and riding pouches from 1 hide. I gave the extra to a new trooper.

Ryan, thanks for the link man. I just ordered mine. Take care.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 9 months later...