Helmet Prepping

Major Space Cadet

Hello folks,

I'm starting to paint my helmet using Rustoleum Hi Performance Enamel Gloss white and Satin black.

Can I leave the inside of the helmet as-is or do I need to paint it what color?  I don't like the odor of spray paint inside of any helmet of mines while trooping and with the paint chips coming off and onto my balaclava or hair in this case.

How many coats of spray paints are needed?  I'm going to top this all off using gloss coating to protect it once all done.

Thanks,

Helmet1.jpg

helmet2.jpg

There are no rules to say the inside must be painted. As for the amount of coats its dependent on how it looks with each one but dont do it too thick.

• Like 1

General painting tips for painting cast urethane resin:

1. Cast helmets usually have mold release residue on them, which will prevent the paint from adhering properly. Clean it with a toothbrush and dish soap, then make sure the soap is fully cleaned off and the helmet fully dried before going further.
  2. Lightly wet sand the helmet with some high grit sandpaper, 600 or 800 grit. Again, make sure any residue is fully cleaned off before painting or you'll get orange peel or paint crackles..
  3. Prime the helmet with paint primer, the color doesn't matter, you can use white or black if you want.
  4. Again wet sand the helmet with high grit sandpaper, 600 or 800 grit. Make sure the helmet is clean and fully dry.
  5. Once it's fully primed and dried, you can start painting with the glossier paint layers. Note that once the paint start to dry after about 15-20 min, then you need to wait until it's fully dry -- 24-28 hrs, before painting another coat. Otherwise you'll get orange peel or paint crackles.
  • Like 2

A word of advice! I've seen many cases of rustoleum paint reacting with other rustoleum paints,so check that they play nice with each other before laying them down on your helmet!

It's going to take a good few layers of paint, just remember to apply thin coats and build them up.. patience is key :)

Sent from my 21091116UC using Tapatalk

• Like 1