boot question

Zugor

I have a large calf muscle, 17 inches around. When I made my boots to fit the top works but the bottom is too big for the boot, size 14. How do you handle the extra material? Should I make a V shaped stove pipe so it fits at the bottom and the top?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zugor said:

I have a large calf muscle, 17 inches around. When I made my boots to fit the top works but the bottom is too big for the boot, size 14. How do you handle the extra material? Should I make a V shaped stove pipe so it fits at the bottom and the top?

I was just about to say -- sounds like you need some taper in that boot!  There definitely seemed to be some slight taper in the screen used boots.  They don't have to be form-fitting though

Prepro%20Back%20and%20sides.jpg

Yes, you will need to taper. My calves are 20 in with a size 13 shoe.  Measure around the ankle part of the boot while you are wearing them, add an inch to account for the velcro strip. Measure the fatest part of your calf again add an inch for the velcro. Then make your pattern. Don't forget to measure the opening for the arch to fit over your laces.

• Like 1

When I made my boots (size 13, 19" calves) same issue. I just made a good paper template that was a bit tapered and then cut my vinyl then. As stated above, it doesn't need to look fitted as you want that stovepipe look to it. Good luck!

• 11 months later...

Hi. I have the same problem with bigger calf muscles due to mountain biking. Can someone please point me in the direction in sourcing additional white textured material to uncreate size of the boot. 
need asap please. 
jj

For how to get proper measurements check out the tutorial below:

https://forum.501stpathfinders.com/topic/19708-biker-scout-boots-tutorial/

For fabric you’ll need white Marine Vinyl similar to this:

https://www.joann.com/marine-vinyl/4789087.html